Insurance cover for off-road training

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
Paul_C

Re: Insurance cover for off-road training

Post by Paul_C »

There's a link to travel insurance on the Overland Magazine website. That policy covers off road, track days and events, but not racing unless you get an add on. Could be worth looking at the details and giving the company a ring?
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
drumbrakes

Post by drumbrakes »

I've got a training course booked with MotoScotland and want to use my own CCM GP450.
It's a condition of using your own bike, that you have suitable insurance in place which covers off-road training.

The company MotoScotland recomended have stopped offering this.
Carol Nash and Bennets both advertise "off-road" cover on their websites, but the call centre staff can't actually sell a policy to match.

Has anybody else managed to get insurance cover for off-road training, anywhere?
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

The company organising the training must have their own insurance cover so try asking them who they use then contact them for a quote.
drumbrakes

Post by drumbrakes »

Sorry, typo in the original post. I had contacted the insurer (Perkins & Slade) recommended by the organising company, but they are now under new ownership, and no longer offer that type of policy.

I have contacted them to see if they can recommend anybody else.

The mainstream insurance companies all have sections on their websites claiming they cover off-road bikes, but when I speak with actual agents, they cannot provide the cover. Bennets, Carol Nash, and Hastings Direct all failed to offer insurance for riding a bike off-road. (they'll cover them inside a van, whilst being transported.
My best bet so far is a company called Moris, who do track day insurance cover. They're going to call me back.
peterjt

Post by peterjt »

It is unlikely that any mainstream insurer will provide cover for this though you might want to try Zurich they often deal with things that are a little different.
Try contacting ACU or BMF, they may be able to help with advice.
A company linked to a Lloyds syndicate is probably your best hope.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

from motoscotlands website

i note their own bike only have road insurance best ring them i think ??

MotoScotland - The UKs first off road centre to have its training recognised as advanced road rider training by motorbike insurers

MotoScotland is the UK’s first off road training centre to have its training endorsed by motorbike insurers as advanced road rider training!

It is also the UK’s first off road training centre to have an insurer offer premium discounts off their road motorbike policy to riders who complete their Level 2 training course!

We are delighted to announce the following premium discounts on offer for riders who complete our Level 2 Training course: -

10% discount -devitts

10% discount - Bikesure insurance
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

raises an interesting point--the definition of "off road"--if its trail riding on a legal byway then normal insurance should apply (as the bike has to be taxed MOTd and insured). However, if its truly offroad then its getting really difficult unless its "thrown in " with a competition entry. I would think that the company will get you to sign an indemnity waiver absolving them form any claim--and then its up to you as to whether you have any kind of insurance for yourself--getting cover for the bike will be difficult to say the least--its at your own risk.
Putbinoot

Post by Putbinoot »

Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

catcitrus wrote:raises an interesting point--the definition of "off road"--if its trail riding on a legal byway then normal insurance should apply (as the bike has to be taxed MOTd and insured). However, if its truly offroad then its getting really difficult unless its "thrown in " with a competition entry. I would think that the company will get you to sign an indemnity waiver absolving them form any claim--and then its up to you as to whether you have any kind of insurance for yourself--getting cover for the bike will be difficult to say the least--its at your own risk.
Motoscotland is run on private land.

But I dont see why they are insisting on this, it doesnt make sense. you dont need insurance on private land and their public liability covers issues their end.

Also a disclaimer is not worth the paper its written on - you cannot disclaim negligence for example.
peterjt

Post by peterjt »

Mike54 wrote:
catcitrus wrote:raises an interesting point--the definition of "off road"--if its trail riding on a legal byway then normal insurance should apply (as the bike has to be taxed MOTd and insured). However, if its truly offroad then its getting really difficult unless its "thrown in " with a competition entry. I would think that the company will get you to sign an indemnity waiver absolving them form any claim--and then its up to you as to whether you have any kind of insurance for yourself--getting cover for the bike will be difficult to say the least--its at your own risk.
Motoscotland is run on private land.

But I dont see why they are insisting on this, it doesnt make sense. you dont need insurance on private land and their public liability covers issues their end.

Also a disclaimer is not worth the paper its written on - you cannot disclaim negligence for example.
What I think you will find is that their insurance will only cover their negligence or that of somebody using their bikes. If you are using your own bike and are negligent then it is you that is responsible not them if they can show their is no negligence on their part.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”