The pros and cons of a iPhone as a satnav

moto al

Re: The pros and cons of a iPhone as a satnav

Post by moto al »

Once again chaps many thanks, I have a Tomtom, il just use the iPhone as back up,i just wondered if I had been missing something ,re technology. (thumbs) Al
moto al
Diesel Pete

Post by Diesel Pete »

Peirre wrote:For my iPhone 6+ I use an otterbox defender case
Is that waterproof? The Otterbox defender cases didn't use to be.
akceller8

Post by akceller8 »

I have used an iphone 3gs for 3 years then a 5s for the last 2 years as my only gps. Copilot and tom tom apps used for roads, viewranger used for greenlaning. On my bikes they sit in an Utimate Addons case with power lead,although orriginaly i used to just put it in the map holder of my tankbag in the car they've been in windscreen mounts.

Never had problem with the phone turning off through over heating or anything.

Yes the screen doesn't work with all gloves, but it does with some thin leather ones i've found out, so i have a stylus attached to the case by a short string for making inputs.

Route planning can only be done on the phone for the roads apps, but both allow for waypoints and Tom tom has a 'windey-roads' setting that has taken me on some great rides. For viewranger i can plot or download routes and tracks online then sync them to my phone.

As i also use my phone for music on long journeys via bluetooth and i want to ensure that the battery is full whenever i get off the bike i always have my phone plugged in while travelling. So why would i want another, standalone, GPS cluttering up my handlebars and that i have to take off and carry round when i park up?
Don't stop me now, I'm having such a good time!!
Daz Brecon

Post by Daz Brecon »

I use Copilot GPS on my iPhone 5c, same thing as the others only you pay a one off payment for whatever country map you need, I paid also a one off fee for lifetime voice prompts over Bluetooth headset, it's brilliant and I did it also so as not to rely on a phone signal, not let me down yet, there are add ones etc but not needed, also use an Oxford waterproof pouch which uses Velcro to attach to my 990 bars
nuttynick

Post by nuttynick »

I've got a TomTom rider and a Samsung S3 which i use for nav. The S3 has the TT app loaded, with an all of Europe map downloaded. I have a decent waterproof case for it, which has been well tested in torrential rain!

I'm on the Three network so I can use data in many countries as part of my UK allowance. My rider now sits on a shelf in my workshop, and I use the S3 for all my navigation. Real time data also gives me traffic updates, and I can search for places to eat etc.

I've just upgraded to an S5, and will download the TomTom app and maps to that as well. But I'm keeping the S3 as the bike satnav. Never had a problem with overheating in 30 degrees in the South of France this summer, and I bluetooth the phone to my intercom headset as well as music ;-)
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Diesel Pete wrote:
Peirre wrote:For my iPhone 6+ I use an otterbox defender case
Is that waterproof? The Otterbox defender cases didn't use to be.
Alas no, though it does a good impression of splash proof.
I had an otterbox on a 3GS which kept the phone protected and in mint condition.
So when I got the 6+ With its tendency to bend the otterbox was the most obvious choice.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

moto al wrote: thanks Steve .ps are you a millionaire yet with all that power on your land. :whistle: . Take bud , hope all is well with you see you soon Al (thumbs)
Sadly not Al, still a small peasant farmer... :whistle: The income from it will keep my womenfolk in "smellies" from QVC I expect...! I told MY Janice I was going to get a new bike with the first years income and I was told that I should rethink my ideas.... :pinch: meanie!

About half of Western Europe is about to descend on 20ac of Shropshire to build the thing next week! Poles and Krauts mostly from what I can gather.
moto al

Post by moto al »

SteveR wrote:
moto al wrote: thanks Steve .ps are you a millionaire yet with all that power on your land. :whistle: . Take bud , hope all is well with you see you soon Al (thumbs)
Sadly not Al, still a small peasant farmer... :whistle: The income from it will keep my womenfolk in "smellies" from QVC I expect...! I told MY Janice I was going to get a new bike with the first years income and I was told that I should rethink my ideas.... :pinch: meanie!

About half of Western Europe is about to descend on 20ac of Shropshire to build the thing next week! Poles and Krauts mostly from what I can gather.
glad all is well bud ,hope too see you soon .regards. AL (thumbs)
moto al
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

SteveR wrote:

Whole lotta scaffolding then Steve? :whistle:

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
coffindodger

The pros and cons of a iPhone as a satnav

Post by coffindodger »

1. IPhone5 is sensitive to heat, mine went tits up whilst riding around Spain last year. Was informed by technician that exposure to sun caused the circuits to overheat.
2. Download gps app 'Sygic' maps to phone memory and set phone to Location or my location, excellent performance 5/5

Keith.wb

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”