Bivvy bags

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
west coast ratter

Bivvy bags

Post by west coast ratter »

Going to a rally in a few weeks time and as its near the coast the temp is gonna drop thru the nite so a visit to my local surplus store I found bivvy bags from various armies ..Sooo was wondering how they would fare warmth wise with my sleeping bag inside ?? Ill be using a self inflate mat .. anybody used a bivvy ?(thumbs)
Mark1961

Re: Bivvy bags

Post by Mark1961 »

Ex infantry, I've slept in bivvi bags for years. The bivvi bag keeps the wind and rain out. Warmth comes from your sleeping mat and sleeping bag. The hooped bivvis are the best. A tarp over the top is also an advantage.
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
KTMBLAG

Post by KTMBLAG »

Are you saying your going to use a bivvy instead of a tent
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

had a american bivy made from gortex and full length side zip...used it once then went back to small tent :laugh: ....a compact 2 man tent is similar pack size with more room (thumbs) ...

A bivy was designed for squaddies in a field not motorcyle rally men ;)
luckiegar

Post by luckiegar »

Got a bag rated to comfort 5 degrees camped in January and February this year put my bag in ex army bivvie most defenently takes the edge of don't want to buy another bag for a couple of months of the year and one that's bigger so this is a good compromise (thumbs)
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

i use a sleeping bag in a bivvy bag in a tent and to me it did make a difference was warmer and if you get to warm just roll it back,but as others have said a good sleeping mat makes a big difference.cheers T
west coast ratter

Post by west coast ratter »

Sorry shouldve said I'll be using a tent .. (thumbs)
Africa John

Bivvy bags

Post by Africa John »

Bivvies are to keep you dry so you will have the same issues about keeping warm as in a tent. A Thermarest or mat with a foil surface will help with cold from the ground. A decent low temperature 4 season bag for the cold air. Wear layers and remove as you warm up. Don't sweat or you'll have moisture problems which will make you cold.
luckiegar

Post by luckiegar »

Yep that's were I use mine
KTMBLAG

Post by KTMBLAG »

Not used them inside a tent. If I was looking for a bit more warmth wouldn't a sleeping bag liner be better

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”