Tent Vango Beta 350XL. Any Reports?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
StephenMac

Tent Vango Beta 350XL. Any Reports?

Post by StephenMac »

Hello All,

I am thinking of buying one of these tents and just wondering if anyone has any experience of them?

Regards, Stephen (thumbs)
I've been a wild rover for many's a year...............
Tonibe63

Re: Tent Vango Beta 350XL. Any Reports?

Post by Tonibe63 »

We've had a Beta 350 (not xl) for about 5 years now and find it ideal for 2 people travelling on a bike. It is not too heavy, easy to put up, you can pack it away without removing the sleeping compartment which keeps it dry when setting up in the rain. It's got cross straps inside which really keep it stable in the wind.
We have 2 single air beds in the sleeping area and there is still room at the sides for clothes etc that you want to keep close by and there are lots of usefull pockets inside. Although it is a 3 man tent you won't get 3 air beds in there.
The front porch area is great for putting luggage etc in and also for storing damp clothes away from the sleeping bags.
We've had no issues with the tent ripping, the poles are still the originals and the zips are all still good.
My 1 criticism is that rain can run in to the porch area off the roof when you undo the zip but that is largely due to the tent shape and is not a major issue.

Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
midlife

Post by midlife »

Tonibe63 wrote:We've had a Beta 350 (not xl) for about 5 years now and find it ideal for 2 people travelling on a bike. It is not too heavy, easy to put up, you can pack it away without removing the sleeping compartment which keeps it dry when setting up in the rain. It's got cross straps inside which really keep it stable in the wind.
We have 2 single air beds in the sleeping area and there is still room at the sides for clothes etc that you want to keep close by and there are lots of usefull pockets inside. Although it is a 3 man tent you won't get 3 air beds in there.
The front porch area is great for putting luggage etc in and also for storing damp clothes away from the sleeping bags.
We've had no issues with the tent ripping, the poles are still the originals and the zips are all still good.
My 1 criticism is that rain can run in to the porch area off the roof when you undo the zip but that is largely due to the tent shape and is not a major issue.

What is that to the right of the tent???!!!
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

midlife wrote: What is that to the right of the tent???!!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That is the dogs toy ferret
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
midlife

Post by midlife »

Tonibe63 wrote:
midlife wrote: What is that to the right of the tent???!!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That is the dogs toy ferret
Thank god for that. I thought it was road kill or a dead pet, and was initially a bit too worried to ask!! (thumbs)
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

My only criticism is that there's not enough room for two Siberian - solved now that we have one Alaskan Malamute!
Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Actually nine is the Omega which I think is lighter.Some quality issues too but a good tent nonetheless.
Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

earthman

Post by earthman »

The Spanish Biker wrote:Actually nine is the Omega which I think is lighter.Some quality issues too but a good tent nonetheless.
Simon

I have the Omega 350 too, bought it a few years ago now so it doesn't have the extra elastic/stabilizing straps that were fitted to the later ones, still a very good tent though.
Next time I'll be tempted by the Coleman Coastline 3 plus, similar design but the front can be opened right up, providing some shade from the sun if need be.

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

earthman wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:Actually nine is the Omega which I think is lighter.Some quality issues too but a good tent nonetheless.
Simon

I have the Omega 350 too, bought it a few years ago now so it doesn't have the extra elastic/stabilizing straps that were fitted to the later ones, still a very good tent though.
Next time I'll be tempted by the Coleman Coastline 3 plus, similar design but the front can be opened right up, providing some shade from the sun if need be.

That looks nice - shame about the fibre poles though as they add considerable extra weight and aren't as strong. I think that's the main difference between the Vango Beta and the Omega.

I now always pack a separate tarp - better shade over the roof in the Spanish sun and rain protection over your door in the Spanish, er, rain!

Simon

StephenMac

Post by StephenMac »

Thanks Guys, I have purchased the Vango Beta 350xl. I like the height and the ability to at least stand stooped and get dressed. Camping last year for the first time in a long time and found problems with cramp in a small tent.

Taking a trip through France this year and this should make life a little more comfortable. Thanks again for your views and advice.
I've been a wild rover for many's a year...............

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”