The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

The Things We Ride
ZX Raziel

Re: The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

Post by ZX Raziel »

Zookman wrote:This new AT is turning out to be a disaster. DCT probs, switchgear probs, ABS probs, corrosion probs....Wonder what'll be next.
Glad it was never a bike i'd have been interested in buying.
Oh my , things are being blown out of proportion again :laugh: , "disaster" ? really ? Look at the sales figures :whistle:

One bike from thousands sold had a problem , does that mean that they are all shite ?
And we don't even know what the problem is or what caused it , too quick to judge and all that .
Corroding spokes are nothing new with honda , the last 3 Honda's i have owned have had the exact same issue , last one was the 2000 XR 650 R , spokes turned ugly just by looking at water . Not the end of the world . New updated switch gear is coming , again not a biggie , there is a long list of bikes that have had the same problem not just Honda or BMW .

Anyone remember the introduction of the Water cooled GS ? few issues there including fatality ! , now one of the best selling bikes .

In the good old days people did not have the internet and information aviability as today that is why so many naively believe that the old bikes were better , there was always some kind of problem especially with a new model , but not many knew about it (thumbs)
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

AndyB wrote:
The CX had dodgy cam chain tensioners, VF chocolate cams, a couple had those horrible enclosed front discs, CB900s that blew their engines up for fun, earlier twins had centrifugal oil filters that didn't filter very much, petrol tanks that rusted, reg rec failures, cams running straight in the head with no bearings, cable operated front discs that didn't work in the wet nor the dry. Not that other manufacturers didn't have problems but Honda seemed to want to try new ideas out using the customer to test them more than most.
I reckon you bought all their dodgy models Andy :laugh:

Honda made some great bikes in the 80's/90's......... Africa Twin , Transalp, XR650, Pan, CBR600, Fireblade etc
one-legged adventurer
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

ZX Raziel wrote:
Zookman wrote:This new AT is turning out to be a disaster. DCT probs, switchgear probs, ABS probs, corrosion probs....Wonder what'll be next.
Glad it was never a bike i'd have been interested in buying.
Oh my , things are being blown out of proportion again :laugh: , "disaster" ? really ? Look at the sales figures :whistle:

One bike from thousands sold had a problem , does that mean that they are all shite ?
And we don't even know what the problem is or what caused it , too quick to judge and all that .
Corroding spokes are nothing new with honda , the last 3 Honda's i have owned have had the exact same issue , last one was the 2000 XR 650 R , spokes turned ugly just by looking at water . Not the end of the world . New updated switch gear is coming , again not a biggie , there is a long list of bikes that have had the same problem not just Honda or BMW .

Anyone remember the introduction of the Water cooled GS ? few issues there including fatality ! , now one of the best selling bikes .

In the good old days people did not have the internet and information aviability as today that is why so many naively believe that the old bikes were better , there was always some kind of problem especially with a new model , but not many knew about it (thumbs)
One bike ?... If it was the odd minor issue on one bike then i wouldn't attach any importance to it.
But I'm seeing a fair amount of different issues with 3 different AT's that have been bought so far on this forum.... and the bike has only been out 6 weeks.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

boboneleg wrote:
AndyB wrote:
The CX had dodgy cam chain tensioners, VF chocolate cams, a couple had those horrible enclosed front discs, CB900s that blew their engines up for fun, earlier twins had centrifugal oil filters that didn't filter very much, petrol tanks that rusted, reg rec failures, cams running straight in the head with no bearings, cable operated front discs that didn't work in the wet nor the dry. Not that other manufacturers didn't have problems but Honda seemed to want to try new ideas out using the customer to test them more
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

AndyB wrote:
boboneleg wrote:
AndyB wrote:
The CX had dodgy cam chain tensioners, VF chocolate cams, a couple had those horrible enclosed front discs, CB900s that blew their engines up for fun, earlier twins had centrifugal oil filters that didn't filter very much, petrol tanks that rusted, reg rec failures, cams running straight in the head with no bearings, cable operated front discs that didn't work in the wet nor the dry. Not that other manufacturers didn't have problems but Honda seemed to want to try new ideas out using the customer to test them more
cable operated discs :ohmy: had a cb125s that nearly killed me in the rain when the front brake didn`t work :laugh:
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

boboneleg wrote:
Honda made some great bikes in the 80's/90's......... Africa Twin , Transalp, XR650, Pan, CBR600, Fireblade etc
...ahem, FireBlade not Fireblade...Mr Honda removed the capital B from later model Fireblades as a mark of respect for the first ground-breaking FireBlades of the '90s.

(I'm an anorak when it comes to FireBlades... :blush: :blush: :whistle: :laugh:)
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
ZX Raziel

Post by ZX Raziel »

Zookman wrote:
One bike ?... If it was the odd minor issue on one bike then i wouldn't attach any importance to it.
But I'm seeing a fair amount of different issues with 3 different AT's that have been bought so far on this forum.... and the bike has only been out 6 weeks.[/quote]

Exactly , one serious issue , the rest are just minor issues (thumbs)
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

AndyB wrote:
The CX had dodgy cam chain tensioners. quote]

A small number of CX A models had tensioner issues - not all CX's.

A much maligned bike IMO.

Er - my "quoting" seems to gone wrong - must be the Honda AT influence! :evil:
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Nigel wrote:
AndyB wrote:
boboneleg wrote:
AndyB wrote:
cable operated discs :ohmy: had a cb125s that nearly killed me in the rain when the front brake didn`t work :laugh:
Cams running in line bored parent metal is fine with lube and is still done on all makes. The centrifugal filter still exists on the CRF230 and other early designs of air cooled engines--had one --worked well--engine is bullet proof--its also SIMPLE and requires just the occasional look. The reg/rectifier faults were DESIGN faults--basically location with no airflow--solved with a decent heat sink plate and (in my case) a small computer fan wired into the ignition--never had a problem after that. Things do get very "distroted" !! The early CXs were fixed by Honda pretty quickly and it wasn't the dispatch rider's mule for nothing! Honda will sort it all out I'm sure--at least they admit to the faults unlike that well known (and apparently loved ) German manufacturer!
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Crossrutted wrote:
AndyB wrote:
The CX had dodgy cam chain tensioners. quote]

A small number of CX A models had tensioner issues - not all CX's.

A much maligned bike IMO.

Er - my "quoting" seems to gone wrong - must be the Honda AT influence! :evil:
Once bitten twice shy. I bought mine in 1979 just before it was a year old with about 1,000 miles on it and before it had done another 1,000 the rubber had dropped off the tensioner.

Fixed under warranty but really annoying from an almost brand new bike. When it happened I couldn't work out where the clattering noise was coming from until a friend told me it was exactly the same noise his made when the tensioner fell apart.

Return to “BIKES”