Why I hate f***ing Mac

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
AndyB

Re: Why I hate f***ing Mac

Post by AndyB »

I'd describe video editing and music production as being pretty creative but that's probably because I'm crap at both :pinch:
Stuart123456789

Post by Stuart123456789 »

Windows 8 drove me to Mac and I don't regret it, just be careful though with sat navs I have it in righting from tom tom that to use a rider 400 properly you need a windows machine, the software they boast about in the ads is incompatible with mac, tom tom will deny this until the 30 day money back period expires then admit that tyre pro will not work with mac's
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

I've used Mac since 1992 (Classic 2) as it was the only computer that could control digital stage lighting and midi back then. Grease, at the Dominion was entirely run by one Classic 2, controlling 2 lighting desks, one laser and digital light curtains, so you may wish to change the non technical bit as at the time, it was the most advanced lighting system used in the West End. (thumbs)

I now use Mac to use VectorWorks CAD software as it's a lot more user friendly than AutoCAD.

Most of the TV industry now use Macs to drive their editing suites - that says a lot.
bowber

Post by bowber »

I've got a 16 year old PC still running windows 2000 and it's never given a moments trouble, unless I unplug it from the main then the motherboard battery goes flat :whistle:
I don't like Mac's but that's mainly because I don't use them so I get frustrated every time I'm faced with one.
I'm used to windows and it just works but more importantly I can get the software for my work on PC not Mac.
Also most of the bad reputation for windows was from 95/98 etc and manufacturers using cheap parts, but they also cost a fraction of a Mac.

Steve
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

robson wrote:
Ali in Austria wrote:I have used Macs for the last 6 years and have never looked back after switching from Windows and all the frustrations they caused, especially with video editing.
exactly, Mac is good only for very narrow specific tasks where you can do only what Apple given application was meant to do. Video editing, music production software etc. Very inflexible tool for for creative usage.
Most people I know who write software use Macs. Default Android dev. environment seems to be Mac. I don't think it's accurate to say they are limited or for non-technical people.

They are easy to use out of the box and can do most of what most people want albeit at a very high price. if you want more capabilities just buy software like you do with Windows.

But it's not fair to compare a 500 quid no name windows laptop provided full of bloatware and demo software with nag screens to a thousand quid plus Macbook.

Take all the crap out of a good windows 7 PC (or better still do a fresh install) and be careful about what you install and it will be fine. I run a windows 7 VM on a mac pro and it's stable and has been for the last few years- and this has nothing to do with the MacOS. I've also taken a good HP desktop and have installed a clean windows 7 on this for my father, no problems. I also have a cheap windows 7 netbook I use on trips, and this is not so good- but that's comparing a 200 quid bargain basement netbook with decent hardware with plenty of memory, bound to fail.

Get decent hardware and the capabilities of both OSs are similar. If you buy Mac you pay for the convenience of not checking out the hardware or (mostly) needing to install software.
robson

Post by robson »

[email protected] wrote:
Most people I know who write software use Macs. Default Android dev. environment seems to be Mac. I don't think it's accurate to say they are limited or for non-technical people.
and that's a very false statement, I am software engineer since years and I can tell you most people who write software use Windows. It is obvious if you look at OS market share, same with programming jobs in IT. Anyway even so you have misunderstood me, people who write MAC software are technical and creative - I was talking about MAC end-users.

TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

As a Mac user for a many years and a PC user since primary school I don't understand what you are talking about either.

How are you restricted? What has Mr Jobs refused to let you do?

And why did you buy a Mac then?

And if you are actually restricted why just not use Parrallels or Boot Camp and install Windows?
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I'm pretty sure that chart reflects cost more than any other factor. I'd be more interested in the percentages amongst professional users who don't count cost as being the major factor when they choose their next computer.

If I'd got a £500 budget to buy my next computer then I certainly wouldn't be looking at a MacBook unless it was to wish I'd got the money to make performance the decider rather than cost.
JMoandpiglet

Post by JMoandpiglet »

I was going to suggest that a Mac is far better for keeping the rain off you... until I realised that if you used Windows, that would mean you were actually inside your house - even better!

Although not as portable of course.

I'm not sure I fully understand this thread?

Jx
robson

Post by robson »

JMoandpiglet wrote: I'm not sure I fully understand this thread?

Jx
just to balance the other thread B) not that I love Windows that much though.

Return to “TECHNICAL”