Hi an ABR Virgin

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
Loggy

Hi an ABR Virgin

Post by Loggy »

Hi to all forum members.

My name is Andy aka Loggy.

I've been lurking on this and other Adventure Bike forums for a while now. As yet I haven't got a bike. I've had my Licence since 1997 and have never used it for personal use. I'm ex Army and at one time was in charge of my Squadrons MT350 bikes, servicing, inspecting and repairing them. We went out all the time over the "Area" where we had free reign to hammer the living daylights out of them. A very enjoyable time was had too.

I used to race Motocross bikes back in the mid 80's. I had a CR250. I also had a few road bikes, but can't for the life of me remember what they were!!

I'm looking for an Adventure Bike for Commuting purposes as I travel 24 miles to work each way and my daily driver (Toyota Hilux 3.0lt Auto) costs me around £65-70 a week in fuel. I've been looking for weeks and can't really make my mind up.

First of all I was looking at buying a XT660Z Tenere. I love the look of this bike. This would be great as the roads to work are twisty B roads with a short stretch ( mile or so) on the A4. Some of the road runs along the Thames, so the views are fantastic, however the traffic isn't! This would be fine to start with, but I think the bike wouldn't be suitable for long trips away at weekends two up, but it would be great on fuel!!

I then looked at getting a XRV750 Africa Twin. I also love the look of this bike. It's big enough for two up long distance work at weekends and would lap up the roads I commute on. The trouble is there aren't many of these bikes around and they are getting on a bit and it would be a shame to put so much milage on a classic.

So I think I have made my mind up on the HONDA VARADERO XL1000. It's a very big bike for a virgin like me, but I'm sure I would get used to it quickly, taking it easy to start with. This bike would be plenty big enough for two up weekend trips away. It should be fairly economical (I want a fuel injected model). It looks like it's a Sofa on wheels for backside comfort, but should be able to keep up with it's sporty brothers should the need arise. I've been looking at the Tricolour model and think this looks the dogs. They only seem to have been built for one year (07/57) so are pretty thin on the ground. I've emailed a few dealers who have them for sale, but they are 160 miles away from me. I'm hoping to get one soon, even if it's just to stop all my work mates taking the pi$$ out of me for reading ABR magazine all the time even though I haven't got a bike yet.

If any of you guys can offer your opinions on the Honda Varadero XL1000 it would be greatly appreciated. I could still be swayed by an XRV750 if the right one came up, but I'm pretty definite that a XL1000 will fit the bill nicely.

Well that's it for now. Cheers for reading.

Andy

PS. I'd just like to add that I'm very much looking forward to getting to know you all over time.
I'd also like to thank Alun Davies for a fantastic magazine (and forum). It's very reasonably priced, the quality of the paper and print is excellent and the articals are a delight to read. Please keep up the very good work and remember "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!!!
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere

Toyota Hilux 3.0lt

Army - Bedford MJ Radar Repair Workshop
Tyrant68

Re: Hi an ABR Virgin

Post by Tyrant68 »

Hi Andy and welcome to ABR, thankfully nothing normal about the people here :woohoo:
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Welcome to the ABR family mate.
Personally I think of the Vara, as an AT with cast wheels and shed loads more power.
They have a good following on here mate, so I don't think you will go wrong.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Loggy

Post by Loggy »

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Is it possible to get spoked wheels on the Vara? I've never seen one with spokes. Can a set of rims be custom built and if so, who deals in making these?

Thanks again for the welcome guys...;)

Toyota Hilux 3.0lt

BIG BILL

Post by BIG BILL »

Welcome from an ex sqaudie.
Have you thought about a Tiger 955i? you can get spoked wheels and cast, i have had two and they are brill....

BIG BILL
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing ( Barry Sheene )
Your along time dead..
Loggy

Post by Loggy »

Hello Big Bill.

I must admit to not having looked at the Triumph to be honest. I've heard it's a good bike, but there is something about the looks of the Vara that has got under my skin. What's the economy like on your bike mate? Any problems associated with the 955i?

Cheers, Andy

Toyota Hilux 3.0lt

jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

As a longtime owner of a 1999 Varadero I reckon you're making a wise choice. You've picked up on its main attributes - comfortable whether solo or 2 up, able to eat up the miles at autobahn speeds, relatively nimble for a fat lass and quite at home on the twisties and narrow roads in this part of the country (Cornwall), bullet proof motor-just change the oil at 3k/4k-with bags of grunt.
Downside is she's a bit thirsty when you push her hard (Should get 200+ miles before warning light commuting) Mine has blown several regulator/rectifiers and the lug holding front caliper sheared (both problems seem quite common) She's also on the heavy side and takes a bit of muscle to wheel around. Weight is carried high up, but once you're on the move it's no problem.
Mine has almost reached 110k miles and shows no sign of giving up.
davsato

Post by davsato »

yes the varadero is an africa twin with (not a very big) shed load more power, but it goes a lot deeper than that.
the varadero is faster than it looks and carries loads like a packhorse, but its also heavier and hop-up parts are few and expensive. cast wheels, 19" front limits tyre choice, poor suspension for off road. fantastic road bike, scratcher, tourer. 25ltr tank and 6 gears gives Fi models long legs, dont believe the mags that say varaderos are thirsty, no more than any other 1000cc bike.

the AT is slower but in no way slow, lighter, looks like a proper dakar bike, feels more like an offroader and has aftermarket parts to die for, 21" front and good suspension.

so if i had only a choice of these two, it would depend what i intend to do with it. 80/20 on/gentle off road the dero would be fine, any more offroading or anything more serious than a gravel track then i would consider the AT.

but im biased, i love my varadero. the perfect for me would be keep it for what i do now, and if i want to go greenlaning get a 250 enduro to beat up, vara plastics are just too expensive!

just my tuppence
Dave
desertraider

Post by desertraider »

hi and welcome andy from the northeast of england
BIG BILL

Post by BIG BILL »

The 955i is quick for the type of bike it is, check MCN reviews and I have had on long runs 50mpg the lowest ever was 40mpg giving it the beans.
It will in good hands keep up with modern sports bikes on the twisty's and run forever with normal maintanence.
Down side is you need a Vario screen and the seat can be a bit hard on longer journey's.

Ask the Editor Allun about his????

BIG BILL My new stead will be a Ducati 1200 multi or if Triumph get thier ack together the new 1200 Tiger?? or Yamaha 1200 xtc or (Bu**er I will not buy a GS )
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing ( Barry Sheene )
Your along time dead..

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”