Steering head bearing replacement Tenere XTZ660

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
scottnet
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:04 am
Been thanked: 2 times

Steering head bearing replacement Tenere XTZ660

Post by scottnet » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:00 am

I am replacing top and bottom, I plan to use aftermarket bearings (complete set less than one OEM bearing from Yamaha and I am pretty sure its the same bearing) , but I am trying to figure out if there is a seal on the lower race. On the parts list I have it just shows the bearing. Has anyone done this and figured out if there is a seal what part number it is ?

Thanks
Scott

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
Gary117
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Re: Steering head bearing replacement Tenere XTZ660

Post by Gary117 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:30 pm

scottnet wrote:I am replacing top and bottom, I plan to use aftermarket bearings (complete set less than one OEM bearing from Yamaha and I am pretty sure its the same bearing) , but I am trying to figure out if there is a seal on the lower race. On the parts list I have it just shows the bearing. Has anyone done this and figured out if there is a seal what part number it is ?

Thanks
Scott
Yes there is a lower seal/cup.
I don't think you can buy this separately.(Comes with the lower bearing from Yamaha)

I fitted this complete kit to my 2011 660z

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-BALLS-STE ... SwQItUGvVz

Maybe of some help.

http://www.xt660.com/showthread.php?t=17320
2011 Yamaha XT660Z Tenere

scottnet
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:04 am
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Steering head bearing replacement Tenere XTZ660

Post by scottnet » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:58 pm

Thanks, a couple of q's
1) did this kit you bought have the lower seal ?
2) Or did you manage to get the lower bearing of with out damaging the seal ?
3) How did you get the lower race out of the frame, I have the top one out ok but the lower I cant a grip on the edge to drift out I have applied heat, next step is to cut it out

Gary117
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Re: Steering head bearing replacement Tenere XTZ660

Post by Gary117 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:04 pm

scottnet wrote:Thanks, a couple of q's
1) did this kit you bought have the lower seal ?
2) Or did you manage to get the lower bearing of with out damaging the seal ?
3) How did you get the lower race out of the frame, I have the top one out ok but the lower I cant a grip on the edge to drift out I have applied heat, next step is to cut it out
1/ Yes.
2/ No i damaged the seal removing the lower bearing.
3/ I have one of these. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-MS040- ... Sw42JWC~Xx
2011 Yamaha XT660Z Tenere

scottnet
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:04 am
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Steering head bearing replacement Tenere XTZ660

Post by scottnet » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:09 pm

Thanks for the info. The removal tool looks good

daryl
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:25 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Steering head bearing replacement Tenere XTZ660

Post by daryl » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:17 pm

Tool wise, I'd recommend something like this:



Took all of about 3 taps to remove each race on my 690.

Gary117
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Re: Steering head bearing replacement Tenere XTZ660

Post by Gary117 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:18 pm

scottnet wrote:Thanks for the info. The removal tool looks good
Yes makes the job a lot easier.
I'm in Cheshire so if your local your more than welcome to borrow it.

The bearing on the stearing stem was very tight to get off so i used a dremel
2011 Yamaha XT660Z Tenere

scottnet
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:04 am
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Steering head bearing replacement Tenere XTZ660

Post by scottnet » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:22 pm

Gary thanks for the offer but i am down south.

Is there a tool for getting the new bearing on the stem?

daryl
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:25 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Steering head bearing replacement Tenere XTZ660

Post by daryl » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:24 pm

scottnet wrote:Gary thanks for the offer but i am down south.

Is there a tool for getting the new bearing on the stem?
I've always used what's left of the old bearing, a bit of pipe, and a hammer.

Gary117
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Re: Steering head bearing replacement Tenere XTZ660

Post by Gary117 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:27 pm

daryl wrote:
scottnet wrote:Gary thanks for the offer but i am down south.

Is there a tool for getting the new bearing on the stem?
I've always used what's left of the old bearing, a bit of pipe, and a hammer.
Like daryl.

I used the old lower bearing upside down and a tube.
2011 Yamaha XT660Z Tenere

Post Reply

Return to “TECHNICAL”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests