Down to Croatia and surrounding area ideas

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
hornet

Down to Croatia and surrounding area ideas

Post by hornet »

This years trip idea is to see south west Austria lots of Slovenia parts of Croatia and perhaps some of Bavaria too.

This has work brilliantly for us before by asking here about interesting places to see or roads that must be ridden or places to stay so please if you know of some locations in the area could you enlighten me :)

Now we only have two weeks (which I know for some is a long time) So We are looking at saving some time to get to and from our chosen destination.

I'v seen an overnight train that runs from Dusseldorf to Vienna which eats up about 600 miles in the right direction and obviously as its overnight so sleeping while traveling its a win win its not cheap or expensive as I see it and yes some would say just ride.Does anybody have any experience of this please :) . I'm not against riding through Germany as we've ridden alot there mainly on the western side and really enjoyed it, this plan is purely to save time as we don't hurry like to look about and avoid motorways or busy trunk roads so we would probably take a week just to get to Croatia which just doesn't work this time.

Thanks for any helpful input
Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
vRSG60

Re: Down to Croatia and surrounding area ideas

Post by vRSG60 »

I'm going from Salzburg over the Grossglockner and on to Lake Bled, them back over the Vrsic pass and into Italy in the summer.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
geordy paul

Post by geordy paul »

Take the over night ferry from Ancona in Italy to Greece.
Ride home taking in Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria and Germany.
Or Greece to Bulgaria and Romaina and the Transfarg pass..
Or, continue through Greece to Turkey and return via Bulgaria and Romania
and that pass again.
Done both easily in two weeks.
You can get to Ancona easily in three days from Calais mixing Motorways and back roads.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

My favourite part of Slovenia is Lake Bohinj and the Soca valley, coming into Slovenia via Andermatt, Stelvio Pass and Cortina. Andermatt can be done in a long day from Calais. Off there in June :)
hornet

Post by hornet »

Grossglockner,Lake Bled, Vrsic pass, Lake Bohinj and the Soca valley some of which we have seen pictures of and some not look to be outstanding and we're really looking forward to the bit where your standing there saying "this is just incredible and the pictures don't do it justice" :)

As for Italy to Greece by ferry its just not going to work with time and how we like to travel spending days on motorways I'd rather be at work

Mike G
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

This is roughly what we did in October 2014, riding from Uk and back.
Italy-Dolomites from Bolzano, Canazei, Arabba, Cortina (take a cable car ride at Podio).
Austria-Grossglockner, Villach.
Slovenia-Passo Predl, Mount Mangart, Bovec, Kranska Gora national park, Lake Bled.
Croatia-Coast road, Pag, Dubrovnik, Plitvick Lakes.
Montenegro-Kotor Bay.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

Here are the maps I used to plan the Europe and Balkan legs of my trip to India last year. Lots of things to see and roads to ride, taken from here, Horizons and other sites, too many to list...
Europe https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... w-DwNrV22o
Balkans https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... OJ630cyVyI

The Euro map has lots of images of bikes, taken from another user on here who is an expert on Austrian biking roads (sorry, can't remember his name, but he did say it was ok for me to use his data...).

The coastal road in Croatia was sublime. I took a detour (to avoid Dubrovnic) and went to Sarajevo (which is interesting, but not particularly pretty), the detour meant that I could ride the Tara canyon in northern Montenegro which again was stunning.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

I started planning a trip to Slovenia and Croatia three years ago, not got there yet but maybe in a couple of years, Norway next year for me.
I'll keep an eye on this thread for future tips. (thumbs)
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Dave DRZ wrote:Here are the maps I used to plan the Europe and Balkan legs of my trip to India last year. Lots of things to see and roads to ride, taken from here, Horizons and other sites, too many to list...

Looks like you rode The Romantic Road. Wurzburg to Fussen.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

vRSG60 wrote:
Dave DRZ wrote:Here are the maps I used to plan the Europe and Balkan legs of my trip to India last year. Lots of things to see and roads to ride, taken from here, Horizons and other sites, too many to list...

Looks like you rode The Romantic Road. Wurzburg to Fussen.
Yes. Tried to do it all in a day, realised it wasn't going to happen, so gave up on visiting each little town and stayed on the main road to make it to Fussen.

http://faroffplaces.net/2015/04/23/day- ... and-aware/

I booked an apartment via Booking.com that turned out to be owned by a guy who (in the 1970's) owned the fastest motorbike in Germany, which was in his garage next to my f800gs :)

The road is worth the ride for the castle on the outskirts of Fussen - Neuschwanstein - that Walt Disney used as inspiration

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net

Return to “TRAVEL”