Travel Insurance

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
OnHellas

Re: Travel Insurance

Post by OnHellas »

Tramp wrote:I think a alternative approach is required...

Folks experience with their company after a claim, fall etc what they had to pay as excess etc..

When you really need the help is it forth coming..

After last years fall and fractures wrist with 3 nights in french hospital i used my e111 card or whatever its called, bill was around 2000 euro to nhs I paid 120 euro...very cheap for service recieved compared to uk..

Sometimes its better getting put back together in europe than being flown back to blighty..

Also each eurooean country offers different levels of service...its a minefield.
I agree with you to a point, in your case it worked out very well.
We had a similar case in Italy in 2014, fractured spine and coccyx for my wife, and the insurance paid for the hotel (eventually) the doctors ordered us to stay in for five nights. No flying due to haematoma.
Plus they paid the £300 for the brace. Plus the flights home. (We paid for bike shipping).

The main reason that I think insurance is the way to go is if you get very badly broken, or especially if you're travelling outside of the EU.

I will say, the hospital in Pistoia, Italy, was superb. The staff were amazing, the food.....it was Italy so that was great.
And we weren't asked for any money, just our e111 card to prove that we were covered.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Just a thought regarding insurance and I guess the answer may be obvious.Is it best to take out the policy once the dates are cast in stone.
I'm thinking that if you pay early then you'll be insured for any losses incurred if you can't go for whatever reason.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
andymac

Post by andymac »

I'm with Liverpool Victoria. Annual worldwide policy £83. Covers all bikes but have to wear appropriate clothing over 250cc.
work hard,,,,,,,,,,,play harder !!
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

On a similar note but regarding breakdown cover, i use the travel insurance that comes with my bank account, but never used it yet, but seeing as my van is over 11 years old I couldn't get breakdown cover from the bank, who use RAC, and personally couldn't use RAC, AA, Green Flag, etc, but came across a company called QDOS who would insure my van up to age 16 years.
So I took out a policy for 19 days iirc for £65 and on the way back to the ferry at Roscoff the power steering pump failed.
I had to pay for repairs in France because they told me it was cheaper than recovery to the UK, but they paid for me and my mrs to stay in a hotel for 3 days, as it happened on a Friday afternoon and wouldn't get fixed until Monday, they also paid for the extra amount to re-arrange my ferry booking and for recovery to a Ford dealer.
They would have paid either the hotel or car hire for the weekend but I had my Tiger XC in the van so used that to get around.
So for £65 I got back £230, but had to pay for repairs which I would have done here, and got an extra few days holiday in Brittany. I thought it was a good result.
misterlaffer

Travel Insurance

Post by misterlaffer »

special one wrote:
misterlaffer wrote:Used these last year with a single trip per day policy for Motorcycling in Spain and Portugal over 2.5 weeks:

http://www.holidaysafe.co.uk/travel-ins ... rance.html

Very pleased with the price and service.

(thumbs)
Been using these for last couple of years, very comprehensive cover, not made a claim yet though...
I did make a claim with them. I lost my prescription sunglasses while taking a photo, they slipped off a wall and down a cliff face on the last day of my trip. Bloody good pair of vari focal glasses too so I put a claim in and got 80 quid back. I did have to take photos of the wall and cliff to help my claim the claim form asked for this too. Got the cheque in the post about 3 weeks later. I will definitely be using holiday safe again.

I used to use Insureandgo but they seem to have hiked their prices. Used to go for the silver cover and add the dangerous activity supplement on that covers for bikes over 125cc, but last year holiday safe were way more competitive.

Never skimp on telling them your medical history and prescription drugs etc this is one area where they will definitely refuse to payout if you need medical attention and you didn't declare something however unrelated to your treatment. It's only when you start declaring these that you see true comparisons between policies, very subjective so be careful, especially if you are over 50 like me and have a few ailments LOL.
Bart1

Post by Bart1 »

I use Endsleigh Travel Ins and had to USE it last year. Broke my ankle on the Tues and was home Fri evening with them having to arrange and pay for hotels,hospitals, a flight with 3 seats so the leg could be elevated and four taxi rides with the last one all the way from Gatwick to West Wales.
I felt they were a bit slow at first dealing with my case and mentioned this so they investigated and agreed that their service was below standard and gave me £100 back.
The important thing seems to be who is the underwriter, in this case it was Axa.
I will use them again.
Tourider

Post by Tourider »

I use the AA, about £50 for a 12 month European policy.
scoobydidler

Post by scoobydidler »

misterlaffer wrote:Used these last year with a single trip per day policy for Motorcycling in Spain and Portugal over 2.5 weeks:

http://www.holidaysafe.co.uk/travel-ins ... rance.html

Very pleased with the price and service.

(thumbs)
What went wrong on your trip if you dont mind me asking?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Return to “THE PUB”