You've got to love EBay !

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
The Sarge

You've got to love EBay !

Post by The Sarge »

What is it about EBay and its users ??
You can sell in Freeads, Gumtree, your local rag even, and you get sensible enquiries and very little hassle. Sell on EBay and you get all manner of rediciulous questions and people hassling you with taking the piss offers , or is it me?

Eg 6 months ago I am selling a classic 9ft surfboard and a guy asks me if we can have a chat, obligingly I agree then spend half an hour discussing the pro's and cons of riding longboards and he finishes by replying he was actually looking for something around 7ft !!!!
Yesterday I advertise a 250 EXC-F and in less than 24hrs have had 5 enquiries asking if I would consider exchanges from a flaming Boat to a Crossbow and a grand under the asking price !!

Fecking Grumpy

Sarge
ipswichbiker

Re: You've got to love EBay !

Post by ipswichbiker »

I've found gumtree worse. Was selling a car and had a number of dubious scenarios messaged my way. A good one was an oceanographer who wanted to buy the car but was going to be out at sea. They could send someone around to collect and pay me via PayPal. Ha!
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Daz Brecon

Post by Daz Brecon »

Yep full of nutters, I sold my F650 Dakar on eBay, after various daft questions that I had basically answered in my description as a fully standard bike along with plenty of photos excellent condition. so the next day this troupe of thugs turned up from the south coast of England to Brecon, four of them looking the bike over, the guy buying didn't even sit on the bike just all had disappointed looks, they said it just wasn't what they thought it would be and too big, after a group chat they came back saying they didn't want it but wanted £30 for wasted petrol............ Well they didn't get their petrol money put it that way, but a lovely chap came up from Cardiff and had it the next day, very excited as it was exactly what he was looking for lol
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

You should try earning a living that way........ :sick: :sick: :sick:

And people wonder why I chucked the towel in.......the great British public..... :blink: :angry:
ReaperX

Post by ReaperX »

My F650gs was sold on Ebay and I had one asking me all sorts of questions, I ask them all politely and after a few messages backs and forwards I had the real owner giving me and offer, so I ask the first one with all the questions to see if he wanted the bike oh not and if he wanted the bike what will he offer me as I had a potential buyer, he reply nah I don't want to make you and offer you tell me what you want. so I stop answering the prick. lol
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

ipswichbiker wrote:I've found gumtree worse. Was selling a car and had a number of dubious scenarios messaged my way. A good one was an oceanographer who wanted to buy the car but was going to be out at sea. They could send someone around to collect and pay me via PayPal. Ha!
Yeah,I think Gumtree is worse.I was selling a £1200 caravan and someone from Greece was willing to send a courier to collect it and pay with Western Union....Yeah,right!!!
I've a sold a couple of bikes unseen on Ebay on never had a problem.
Toe

Post by Toe »

I've generally found more scammers on Gumtree but more stupid questions on eBay. It's like they feel they can ask any question whether it's already been answered in the description because it's of the PM service and not a direct phone call.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Buyers of everything are just stupid.

Try selling a house.

Example: I had a nice 4-bed 1920s house with bay windows, big garden etc that I was selling. the very detailed estate agent particulars made it plain that it was "attractive, mostly unmolested 1920s dwelling with many original features retained".

One woman turned up and had an attack of the vapours because "there was no en suite bathroom."

I asked her why, was she expecting there to be one...apparently all the houses the Kirsty shows people around on the TV have them.

I explained to her that the idea of having a shit in the same room you sleep in horrified me.

Another woman complained that there was no toilet in the bathroom, but it and a washbasin were in a small room next door. I've no idea why she found this so objectionable.

But it amazes me that people raise these things as deal breakers...if it's that important to them then check the estate agent's particulars before you waste people's time.
Charlie the Bikemonger

Post by Charlie the Bikemonger »

My business grew up on eBay, I have around 17000 feedbacks, I was turning over about about £4000 a week. But we now do zero business on eBay. I have had threats, blackmail, and all kinds of crap. How've the best one was when I sold the old family car for £250. The guy was weird, he suggested he was a mercinary and off to place he could not tell me about. I think he was just a guy who liked to wear full dpm camouflage kit when buying a car.

A week passed and the police turned up and asked if I had a mondeo... I said " yes I do", and he looked surprised, a look of this job is too easy, we have our man. He asked me for the reg, and I said I don't know I only had it a week (I had bought another mondeo). So I'm off the hook. but the tosser who bought my car had been driving off without paying for petrol. A few days pass and the speeding tickets start to arrive... And then Croydon council wanted £450 for recovering my car when they found it upside down.
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

Richard Simpson wrote:Buyers of everything are just stupid.

Try selling a house.

Example: I had a nice 4-bed 1920s house with bay windows, big garden etc that I was selling. the very detailed estate agent particulars made it plain that it was "attractive, mostly unmolested 1920s dwelling with many original features retained".

One woman turned up and had an attack of the vapours because "there was no en suite bathroom."

I asked her why, was she expecting there to be one...apparently all the houses the Kirsty shows people around on the TV have them.

I explained to her that the idea of having a shit in the same room you sleep in horrified me.

Another woman complained that there was no toilet in the bathroom, but it and a washbasin were in a small room next door. I've no idea why she found this so objectionable.

But it amazes me that people raise these things as deal breakers...if it's that important to them then check the estate agent's particulars before you waste people's time.
We were selling a thatched cottage a couple of years ago and showed a couple around, the reason they didn't buy it? They didn't like the thought of a thatched roof!!

Return to “THE PUB”