Riding with empty panniers.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
SteveW

Riding with empty panniers.

Post by SteveW »

I don't like Metal panniers. They are a pain when filtering, make the bike feel ungainly, increase fuel consumption, alter the dynamic of the bike and are vulnerable to the odd scrape.
I am sure loads of the "Adventure" bikes I see out on a day ride with top box and panniers are lugging fresh air about.
I'd never have my panniers fitted unless I had to carry extra kit.....why do you do it?.....Image?
AndyB

Re: Riding with empty panniers.

Post by AndyB »

I don't!

My panniers stay in the loft until holiday time because there's no point in leaving them on the bike for exactly the reasons you describe. For small trips needing a bit of capacity the tank bag is my first item followed by the top box or a US20 or both if I need it. If the panniers are too much hassle to remove and replace in a minute or two you've got the wrong type (thumbs)
coyotedave

Post by coyotedave »

You never know when you might have to call you in at Tesco, :laugh:

Mine are in the loft clean and ready for holiday time.

Cheers Dave.
Big Red

Post by Big Red »

Mine stay on all the time, because they carry waterproofs and any stuff I need for work etc. Checked the fuel consumption once with and without them and it made no noticeable difference.
ratass

Post by ratass »

Mine stay on the gs cos if im on it im out for a trip,650 i only use one tail pack cos i travel ultra light.
Jon
Twintec

Post by Twintec »

I ride with the top box on all the time but only fit the side panniers for trips.

I find the top box so handy for throwing stuff in, plus I keep waterproofs etc in it. It just makes the bike a lot more useable to me since I like to use the bike to run errands as well as just going out for a ride with no particular purpose. Also when parked up the top box accomodates my helmet so I don't need to carry it around.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Image....every time.

How else are they going to see my plethora of stickers and get jealous as to where I've been. :whistle:
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

I have top box and panniers for the 660Z and 1200z and never use the top boxes as wary of the tail wagging the bike.
I only use the side panniers when on tour and use Kriega tail packs to carry the spare gloves, etc.
sohoeasy

Post by sohoeasy »

FFS ! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Full or empty, it's important to remember they're on the back.

Return to “THE PUB”