BMW K1600.

The Things We Ride
SteveW

BMW K1600.

Post by SteveW »

Top end "Adventure" bikes are evolving, or should that be regressing? They are turning back into Sports Tourers.
They are moving further away from their dirt capable roots.
The leap-frogging BHP pissing contest particularly between BMW/KTM/Ducati has created heavy, bastardised monsters that could shred a set of TCK's in hours.
Particularly secondhand, the K1600 doesn't look overly expensive when compared to a top of the range Adventure bike and let's face it, it's a much better continental road tourer.
andymac

Re: BMW K1600.

Post by andymac »

My mate's had 2 of them. They where in bmw more than he rode them and lost £9k in the first year,,,,,ouch!!
He has gone back to a 1200 wc rt.
work hard,,,,,,,,,,,play harder !!
Bart1

Post by Bart1 »

A mate of mine also had the near identical experience......the phrase ending in bargepole springs to mind.
canazei1200

Post by canazei1200 »

K1600 I got one fantastic machine done 13500 miles in 6 months don't
Own a car.Did 2800 miles on it during a recent euro trip round France
Germany italy austria and Slovenia.

Comfort and power second to none great handling bike if your comitted
You'll never get tired of that engine and yes the gadgets work and work
well.

Cost mines on a pcp so I don't care servicing cheaper than a gen 1
multistrada I had tyres last about 6500 for a rear.

Why you ask doing 84 miles a day to work and back and for 75% of the
Time it's motorway.

I've had a gs and a gsa as well as a klr 650 gen 1 multistrada and
a host of other odd ball bikes k75 guzzi breva 1200 triumph 955i and sprint
Aprilla futura tdr 250 2x exup 1000

For what type of riding I do now the big k is spot on

Wife still has a 1200 gs and when I ride that it's like the engine
Is broken.
Each to there own.
NOT AS FAST ON A BIKE AS I THINK I AM
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

It's always 'a mate' that's had a dog... ;)
phillh

Post by phillh »

I borrowed one while my GSA was in for a service.

Didn't like it, not for me I'm afraid.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

The point I am trying to make is the big adventure bikes are basically Sports Tourers, very few of the first/second owners will make use of their off road abilities. Plus would you really want to put 125BHP down to the Tarmac on anything but road rubber?
The boom in adventure styled bikes mean that they are expensive new and particularly expensive second hand.
If you're not going to take your bike off road and just use it as a touring platform why not get a proper fast uber-tourer like the big K1600?
I've been thinking about keeping my GS800 as an "adventure" bike and cut out the middle men and go straight to a big tourer for road trips.
I recently rode a new GS 1200, I thought it was fantastic, but I'd never take one meaningfully off Tarmac.
The Big K1600 isn't any dearer second hand than a GS1200 secondhand.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I agree--I actually sold my KTM640A which is arguably great offroad--but I'm short and it was too good to smash up--did 48k on it though. I have a small capacity offroad bike that I can pick up!!--and it takes the knocks very well--so in the end I bought a proper road tourer secondhand--the original Triumph 1050 Tiger(with aluminium frame and conventional SA)--and it does the road miles with loads of smiles !--comfortable , fast, handles well, and takes the luggage easily--and its on road rubber---horses for courses I say.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Ha,ha,I always knew if I hung onto my sports tourer long enough it would come back into fashion! :laugh:
Although I suppose these bikes are really "adventure tourers",which means you have to put up with lower back pain/numb bum and minimal wind protection from their upright riding position and little adventure style screens.And before you all start getting defensive,how many sports tourers have you seen with sheepskin rugs and Vario screens! :P ;)
peterpan241

Post by peterpan241 »

sprintster wrote:Ha,ha,I always knew if I hung onto my sports tourer long enough it would come back into fashion! :laugh:
Although I suppose these bikes are really "adventure tourers",which means you have to put up with lower back pain/numb bum and minimal wind protection from their upright riding position and little adventure style screens.And before you all start getting defensive,how many sports tourers have you seen with sheepskin rugs and Vario screens! :P ;)
I got a 1993 Honda CBR1000F with a Vario Screen, the sheepskin will follow when the weather gets warmer. Actually I also got a Goldwing with a colour matched sheepskin, of course, but no Vario screen and I actually took that on an XRV National Rally. You may be onto something Steve
Adventure before Dementia

Return to “BIKES”