Light weight this... light weight that. So why cant I fit everything in?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
ipswichbiker

Light weight this... light weight that. So why cant I fit everything in?

Post by ipswichbiker »

Im thinking about a trip to Morocco and Im just trying out different combinations of packing things. And ive found that luggage rapidly fills up. Perhaps im packing too much? You dont want to need something and not have it but you dont want to carry something you dont need. Hmmmmm? I dont think there is an easy answer to this one and probably just experience needed to get it right.
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Dick Dastardly

Re: Light weight this... light weight that. So why cant I fit everything in?

Post by Dick Dastardly »

Some one once said, lay everything out on the bed. Take half of it and discard it, you will never use it.

Then pack half of what is left and that will be too much.

I haven't got a clue what it means but is sounded good.

Minkeyhaed and louisdut have just done the same trip, They should be able to help.
" Ride hard, fall softly"
Bonniebird

Post by Bonniebird »

If you think you might wear/use something...don't pack it. Only pack the bare essentials, I can easily pack for 2 weeks with 68 litres in my panniers & 42 in my top box and a few larger bits strapped across the rear seat, BUT my other half does carry the tent on his bike, I usually just have the sleeping bag & roll mats.
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Im wondering if I can do away with the top box. Probably why stuff doesnt fit in.
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Jim Lovell

Post by Jim Lovell »

If you dont have something you feel is essential like Penthouse or something, you could pick it up on the way. :whistle:
Real men ride twins ;-)
KTMBLAG

Post by KTMBLAG »

Lay your stuff out and half your stuff and double your money
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Our biggest mistake on our trip last year was taking too much stuff - the bikes were way too heavy. As we had added a foot plate to the side stands and the spring was compressed so much I found my bike hard to put on the side stand as it was nearly vertical and the camber of the road went in the wrong direction. As a result I managed to drop my bike or knock it over a number of times.

Bonnie bird is right if you think you might need it chances are you wont!

Are you camping or staying in hotels? We took camping kit but only used it in Spain as we found really cheap hotels in Morocco. For a little extra cost in spain we could have saved that weight!

Another example is that I'd taken puritabs - I know they don't take up much space but we never needed them once. Large bottles of water are cheap to buy everywhere and taste so much better. Also the tap water in northern cities is as safe to drink as the water at home.

Mr Toad also took a long list of spare parts & tools (inc oil). We used some of the oil but could have bought it from any petrol station in the towns.

I know there are members of the forum that have a lot more travel experience than we do - perhaps you could post a list of the things you think you might need and see what advice you get?
suffolkgsrider

Post by suffolkgsrider »

Hi James ditch the top box and use panniers for the heavier gear to lower centre of gravity.Then use a waterproof roll bag on the back rack for your effects. Hein Geriche have a "Mary Poppins" like bag big enough for all you need for about £20. Use a waist bag or tank bag for higher value items, camera, phone, docs etc and don't forget to keep it with you at all times.
Cheers
Graham
2005 BMW 1150 GSA

Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel.
davsato

Post by davsato »

you could go out with just a credit card and a spare pair of keks, and do you really need the spare keks?

you could put the touratech blinkers on and do the ewbie/charley kitchen sink special, but pack a couple of spare rear shocks and a subframe just in case.

there are several philosophies you could use, minimalist, maximalist, camping or hotels, washing clothes, or constant loss? if you find you are dragging stuff around you regret bringing, post it home. my point is, take what you want, what you think you need and what comforts you would like to have with you. we all know lighter and smaller is better for the bike but is it better for you? life is better with a few comforts.

my personal philosophy is that if you pack a few big items there is room in the gaps for all the other stuff. if your tent and sleeping bag pack to the size of a squash ball you lose all those valuable nooks and crannies

added; ive just read bonniebirds post, and she thinks that is good light packing. top girl, thats exactly the way i do it, when you run out of space get out the bungies.
Dave
Selous

Post by Selous »

Mete when I went to Morocco I took the essensels.
I 'test' packed a few times, already discussed, I originality packed the kitchen sink. :whistle:
I decided to take soft panniers, as that is what I had, and a Otleib Roll top Dry Bag
across the panniers, I was camping so took tend sleep mat and fart sack as well.
Here is one persons list http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/trippl ... toryAfrica there are a few others on here as well, I would also suggest you look at tim cullis on the GS Forum
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?p=818831.
I found the most important Items for me where Undies & Socks.
Enjoy your trip

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com

Return to “THE PUB”