Forth Bridge

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
-Ralph-

Re: Forth Bridge

Post by -Ralph- »

FFS another thread turns to mush...

I'm feeling really shit at the moment as I'm having to carry my 12 year old Labrador outside so he can go to the toilet, I have new painkillers for him but the vets not optimistic, and it's pretty clear I'm going to have to put him down, probably before christmas.

So what did I do yesterday? Went out and did 100 miles of B road twisties in less than 2 hours. Not sure if it was riding or sailing in that wind, and turning corners away from the wind was just a case of steering into the wind a bit less. Even in a straight line some of my road positioning was totally involuntary. The tarmac was dry though and I cleared off some of the 1 inch chicken strips made of road salt on the rear tyre. It was great and I really enjoyed it.

Some of you lot need to invest in a winter hack, with heated grips and some gore-tex!
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
steve172

Post by steve172 »

mark1150 wrote: #1 The Scottish Government were involved the moment the economy was mentioned.
It was actually first mentioned on page 1 by someone taking the piss of the Scottish government.

I think moto al was simply asking folk not to take the piss because of the impact it will have on the economy, which is a fair point. Lots of people will struggle to get to work (one of my mates uses the bridge daily and needs his car for work so hes having to leave his personal car at work until the bridge is fixed and use the additional train service), the amazon warehouse is at Dunfermline north of the bridge so christmas deliveries will be affected etc.

I'm sure it will get fixed soon enough, it has to as it is affecting traffic in pretty much that entire Forth Valley region.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Cant Amazon uses their new delivery drones? :laugh:

Oh and Hi peeps nice to meet you all ;)

AndyB

Post by AndyB »

On the subject of damaged bridges...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35020487

I don't think that one will be open early in the New Year :pinch:
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

steve172 wrote:the amazon warehouse is at Dunfermline north of the bridge so christmas deliveries will be affected etc.
If your Christmas present turning up three hours late is all you've got to worry about you're doing alright! (thumbs)
-Ralph-

Forth Bridge

Post by -Ralph- »

Hmm, posts seem to be disappearing without having broken any rules.....second or third time this week.

Have I upset one of the mods and turned him into Kim Jong Un?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
g00ner

Post by g00ner »

Says here warnings about the bridge condition have been ignored for a considerable time - I wouldn't be happy if it were directly affecting me

"Already claims and counter-claims are being made as to how the closure of the bridge has come about, but two things are certain and neither of them absolve the SNP. The first is that the Forth Road Bridge is the sole responsibility of the Scottish Government that has been in power since 2007 and which received a report in 2009 detailing the structural faults that required maintenance.

These were costed at £10m but were then shelved indefinitely. Whatever the reason for the delay in attending to the impending failure of the bridge it is not good enough to pass the blame on to the government’s agency, Transport Scotland.

It is for government ministers to hold these arms of government to account and the SNP ministers of transport over that time, Stewart Stevenson, Keith Brown, and now Derek Mackay, together with their first ministers to whom they reported, Messrs Salmond and Sturgeon, all have questions to answer.

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/news/brian-mont ... z3tdbbdtbm
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

g00ner wrote:Says here warnings about the bridge condition have been ignored for a considerable time - I wouldn't be happy if it were directly affecting me

"Already claims and counter-claims are being made as to how the closure of the bridge has come about, but two things are certain and neither of them absolve the SNP. The first is that the Forth Road Bridge is the sole responsibility of the Scottish Government that has been in power since 2007 and which received a report in 2009 detailing the structural faults that required maintenance.

These were costed at £10m but were then shelved indefinitely. Whatever the reason for the delay in attending to the impending failure of the bridge it is not good enough to pass the blame on to the government’s agency, Transport Scotland.
Not exactly a Budget buster sum was it either. Based on the comments from our Northern Correspondents, this cock-up will cost the local economy a lot more than £10m...!!!
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I suspect that your average commuter would have complained if they'd either shut the bridge or reduced the volume by a high percentage a year or two ago with the main comment being "why couldn't it wait for the new bridge to be finished?". Well now we know it couldn't wait :pinch:
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Crossrutted wrote:
wayne roome wrote:20mm open crack, 8 areas of suspected defect and the cables within the huge cables are snapping. This said, I think (as it is still open to emergency services) motorcycles, sidecars and trike should be petitioned to use it!
But no BMW's - too heavy! :P
They are allowed as long as they don't change gear.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles

Return to “TRAVEL”