Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Stewie

Re: camper vans at bike rally ????

Post by Stewie »

What about trucks Ry? I know how much you like em....... :lol:
Tourist-Biker

Post by Tourist-Biker »

Tinytots wrote:I've been riding bikes on the road since I was 16 (Suzuki TS 50 /age 47 now). My mates and I would go to the Northwest 200, it would take 2 hours to cover the 40 odd miles. We had only enough money for a programme to support the racing, minimal food and beer, so we slept 3 abreast under a bit of tarpaulin in the sand dunes.
We've been to many different bike rallies/races throughout our lives, with many under the tarpaulin, a lot under canvas, a couple in campers/caravans, dozens in B&B's, Guesthouses, hotels and I've never once heard anyone complain about how we got there or where we were staying, they were just glad to see us and that we were supporting a good cause.
If I was organising a rally, or what ever you want to call it, I'd just be glad that people turned up, had a good time and gave loads of cash to the Air Ambulance fund.
If I chose to take my bike in my van for a wee bit of comfort, then I think I've earned that right, this doesn't make me any less a bike rider, than someone who started riding bikes a few years ago and staying in a 2 man Tesco dome tent is a new and exciting experience for them.(thumbs)
Hi,

What about if you made some T-shirts up with “ I’ve been riding motor bikes 31years on the road and been there done that “ or maybe get some cards printed up to hand out to the bikers who “started riding bikes a few years ago and staying in a 2 man Tesco dome tent is a new and exciting experience for them”

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I suppose there is always going to conflicting views on this.
I must admit that I never really understood what was expected of a rally.
but that is not really surprising as there are different views of what comprises ..

.. a biker
.. a bike
.. a rally

biker .. moped commuter, to big badass tatoo `pig`, to gentleman motorcyclist ... ?
bike .. moped, scooter, single plodder, multi sports, light enduro, trials, trail, adv ... ?
rally .. a PLACE to meet ? the RIDE there and back ? the MEET and crack ? meet and ridout ?

I suppose the answer is .... COMMUNICATION ..of what is expected?
is it a closed interpetation .. or an open, anything goes, invitation.

[ps .. well done John in your efforts in organising meets, in providing cooking, and in fund-raising for well-deserved charitable causes.]
Twistgrip

Post by Twistgrip »

Well,if I was ever to organise a motorcycle rally(which I'm not), it would be motorcycles,with or without sidecar,ONLY.

No cars,caravans,vans,campervans,motorhomes,trucks ect. No vehicles with more than 3 wheels. Trikes would also not be allowed(trikes are not motorcycles). And no 'kin excuses :angry:

I'm sick of all these multi-wheeled,weekend warriors,diluting the very ethos of what a road-going MOTORCYCLE rally is all about. Its about motorcycles,and riding motorcycles,not campervans,m/homes.

Take your campervan,m/home ect to a campervan/m/home rally;you can then all spend time around the fire,and while away the evening talking about porta-potties,waste disposal,awnings.

I've been in the Goldwing club for 34 years,and I've seen this, once great club, almost destroy itself because of this campervan-m/home issue. Don't let
it destroy your Motorcycle club.

There;I feel better now.

Twistgrip
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Twistgrip wrote:Well,if I was ever to organise a motorcycle rally(which I'm not), it would be motorcycles,with or without sidecar,ONLY.

No cars,caravans,vans,campervans,motorhomes,trucks ect. No vehicles with more than 3 wheels. Trikes would also not be allowed(trikes are not motorcycles). And no 'kin excuses :angry:

I'm sick of all these multi-wheeled,weekend warriors,diluting the very ethos of what a road-going MOTORCYCLE rally is all about. Its about motorcycles,and riding motorcycles,not campervans,m/homes.

Take your campervan,m/home ect to a campervan/m/home rally;you can then all spend time around the fire,and while away the evening talking about porta-potties,waste disposal,awnings.

I've been in the Goldwing club for 34 years,and I've seen this, once great club, almost destroy itself because of this campervan-m/home issue. Don't let

There;I feel better now.

Twistgrip
Ok, that's your idea of a Rally - to which you are entitled.

My idea of a Rally, to which I'm entitled, is an event where I ride my choice of bike around an off road course, either route marked or using a roadbook, with timed sections to determine finishing positions.

Since I'm quite likely to damage my bike, I trailer it there & back.

I've absolutely no interest in camping in a snow covered field, getting pissed to ward off frostbite and pneumonia or throwing wellies or dwarves. However I've got no problem if others choose to do such things.(as long as a dwarf doesn't land on my head/car/greenhouse!)

I do quite enjoy the occasional camping trip with like minded friends on adventure/roadbikes, often organised via Advrider - whose inmates don't seem to be so precious about what a rally is or isn't!

Vive la difference!!
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Crossrutted wrote:

I've absolutely no interest in camping in a snow covered field, getting pissed to ward off frostbite and pneumonia or throwing wellies or dwarves. However I've got no problem if others choose to do such things.(as long as a dwarf doesn't land on my head/car/greenhouse!)
Tut, tut !

I've tried to explain this to you before, wellies and dwarves are old hat, we throw my old false leg nowadays :whistle:
one-legged adventurer
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

boboneleg wrote:
Crossrutted wrote:

Tut, tut !

I've tried to explain this to you before, wellies and dwarves are old hat, we throw my old false leg nowadays :whistle:
Bob, I have even less inclination to touch your old leg, mechanical or organic!!
bowber

Post by bowber »

Crossrutted wrote: Ok, that's your idea of a Rally - to which you are entitled.

My idea of a Rally, to which I'm entitled, is an event where I ride my choice of bike around an off road course, either route marked or using a roadbook, with timed sections to determine finishing positions.

Since I'm quite likely to damage my bike, I trailer it there & back.

I do quite enjoy the occasional camping trip with like minded friends on adventure/roadbikes, often organised via Advrider - whose inmates don't seem to be so precious about what a rally is or isn't!

Vive la difference!!
See I'd class that as a competition event ie. Enduro, MX, grasstrack etc and I'd use a van or trailer for the same reason as you. In the case of a MX or grasstrack the bike isn't even road legal anyway.

To me a bike rally is a non competitive collection of bikes and motorcyclists gathering together to look at each others bikes and talk bollocks, if there are camping pods or bunk houses on site by all means use them, other than that your left with what you can carry on your bike.

If you take it to it's extreme then you could end up with a load of camper vans in a field with a notice on the gate "Adventure Bike rider Rally" and not one single bike there. We'd all get on and have a good time talking rubbish but would it feel like a bike rally, no it'd be a glamping weekend.

Like others have said, it's up to the organiser to decide anyway, if there isn't room, or the ground, for vans or campers then they can't get on the camping field anyway.

Steve
devon john

Post by devon john »

had a great suggestion to erect a 5' x 5' barrier on the site entrance :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

we will have a great rally this weekend ,,,,

with NO camper vans (thumbs)

or is it Adventure bike riders if its not to cold or wet or to far ,,,, and do i really have to sleep in a tent!!! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

,,, old school bikers rule :woohoo:

john
peterpan241

Post by peterpan241 »

Twistgrip wrote:Well,if I was ever to organise a motorcycle rally(which I'm not), it would be motorcycles,with or without sidecar,ONLY.

There;I feel better now.

Twistgrip
I first joined the Goldwing Club 30 odd years ago it was a field full of tents who all congregated at a central clubhouse. Then the motorhomes arrived, then the dogs came with them because they couldn't leave little baby waby at home all alone. Then they can't use rugby grounds cos of the dogs! Then because they had the facilities the motorhomers would stay in the palaces, them & us, and now what was a very healthy bike club is quite frankly on its arse.

I made the mistake with my first few replies, it's a yes or no question, not a bitch and slag debate.

All the slayers out there please bear in mind that without people like John you wouldn't have events on the Calendar. And for all put their two penneth in who had no intention of coming haven't you some Christmas shopping to do?

I'll apologise in advance :ohmy: but I will be there (thumbs)
Adventure before Dementia

Return to “THE PUB”