Am I an adventure bike rider?

Where you've been and what you done
africajim

Am I an adventure bike rider?

Post by africajim »

Well, as the title says, am I an adventure bike rider? Well, I certainly ride an adventure bike! The Mighty Varadero is a true adventure bike, I rode it over a shingle beach on the Isle of Mull on Saturday so I'd say that makes it an adventure bike!
Am I an adventure rider? Well, I smelt like one! I hadn't had a shower in four days and was beginning to get pretty ripe! There must be a story around this post,,,, well,,,,, of course there is!

Subtitle;

Scotland in September adventure.

Fiona and myself left Elgin, Moray on a windy Monday 06/09/10, Fiona on her F650GS BMW and me on the Mighty Honda Varadero VA9 destined for John 'o' Groats in the far N.E. of Scotland. The wind up in the north was pretty keen, around stormforce 8 overnight! We survived the night and headed west to Durness and down the coast toward Ullapool on the Tuesday. Fiona's BMW ended up on its side in a layby during a photo stop which gives an indication of how harsh the wind was! The wind wasn't quite so severe at the campsite but gusts were causing the tent to shake violently enough to waken us through the night.
At the Ullapool campsite I came across an XRV RD04 with a trick front end, a photo was taken and off I went bemused, this turned out to be Anton from the XRV forum's XRV750 RD04! He came down for a chat later that morning to advise us his bike had been over in the wind as well! We then packed up for the run down the coast to Kyle of Lochalsh on the Wednesday.
The wind died for the first time at the Reraig campsite which brought a new menace, the dreaded midge! Skye was beautiful as ever, unlike the food in the pub at Reraig, we had to complain about Fiona's chicken! But we did have a lovely walk in the evening.
On Thursday we moved on to Meet Largewayround from the forum, who we had agreed to meet at a campsite on the Isle of Mull. We had to catch two ferries to reach the Island and the weather and views were stunning! We met at the campsite at around 5.00p.m. and went to sort out provisions for the weekend. We spent the next couple of days touring the island, North on Friday then south on Saturday, the roads and scenery were second to none I've ever seen!
We had a cracking weekend, I'm sure LWR will do a stunning write up with a heap of pictures! The memorable parts of the weekend in Mull were;

1:
Don't speak to ugly women on the site as they're bound to be psychopaths (AKA Helen the Hiefer)

2:
Be prepared to smell like a dead animal as showers are not an option!

3:
While washing dishes in the Loch ensure someone is watching for the bullshit sharks!

4:
The skies are full of Sea - e- Gulls! Don't be dissuaded from believing these are sea eagles by "said" ugly women!

Ok, just short of 1000 miles, a major adventure, Fiona's bike has plenty of scars to prove it, (including the guys car on Mull which I sprayed with stones powersliding her bike after having to bump start it on Mull on Sunday morning!)
The Mighty Varadero, as ever, just needs a wash! Damn, I love that bike!

Final notes, the trip was a great success, I enjoyed every minute of it. Special thanks to, firstly, my Fiona, without you baby the sun wouldn't shine, thank you for making the whole damned thing so much fun!
And secondly to Craig, AKA Largewayround, for having the idea to rough camp it with a bunch of twitchers in a desolate beach on the west coast of the island with a sink and a shitter that doesn't flush! It also had the most spectacular roads, even the ones with grass growing out of them! The views, the castles, the beaches, the wildlife, (young red deer jumping out of the ditch next to you on the walk to the shitter! Damn!) Thank you Craig, you're a star, and I can only say thanks from the bottom of my heart, Fiona thanks you from the heart of her bottom, as only she can!

We both had the time of our life! Including the part where we passed through a dark wood into a farmyard that looked straight out of the Texas chainsaw massacre with me holding a torch under my chin playing out a part from the Blair witch project!
It was a great adventure and would have no issue with recommending a visit to the Isle of Mull, the ferry trip makes it so much more of an adventure than touring the mainland. Be prepared for the weather, it is the west of Scotland and I will certainly take better precautions for rain next time! But if you want an experience of a lifetime then get up north west of Scotland and spend a couple of days on the Isle of Mull!
Mull_campsite.JPG
Mull_campsite.JPG (51.51 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
Honda, the power of dreams.
fionaann

Re:Am I an adventure bike rider?

Post by fionaann »

Hi all,

I would just like to say a massive thank you to my lovely, sexy boyfriend africajim, you are the best, i had the most wonderful time, what an adventure was had, im so glad i took my bmw, she made it there and back in one piece well she nearly didnt when she desided to have a nap in the layby, oopppsss, she was ok, jim could of took a pic but he was busy trying to pick it up for me, what a hero he is, it was so windy on the way down, thought at one point jim had farted when he was in front of me, as my bike was going from one side of the road to another haha, we headed to john-o-groats, putting the tent up was fun, trying to hold it down while jim was putting the pegs in, next was ullapool, i love ullapool, we pitched the tent, we had fish and chips which was ok but the chips were a bit crunchy, we set off to kyle of lochalsh, got bitten by midges, they seem to like me, jim was not so bad, lovely site, then we headed offf on the thu to meet largewayround at the isle of mull,took 2 ferries, that was the first time ive took my bike on a ferry, good fun, isle of mull was good, there was no showers, had to do with a toilet and a sink, i loved our adventure but it was good to come home and have a shower, thank craig ( largewayround) will have to do it again, a big thank you to my jim, cant wait for the next adventure, love you loads, xxx
Life is for living so go out there and live it, have fun, be happy.
fionaann

Post by fionaann »

here is my hero and his sidekick,
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Yes , I feel like an Adventure Bike Rider as well ..

And feel much better now , I have had a shower.. :blink:

Glad you had a good time Jim / Fiona .. I had a blast ..
:)

Full Report to Follow

:) :)
africajim

Post by africajim »

No shit! I feel sooooo much better since I washed! Don't feel like a pikey no more,,,,, YES!

It was an absolute hoot mate! Thanks a bunch from both of us!
Honda, the power of dreams.
fionaann

Post by fionaann »

jim and craig
Picture_003.JPG
Picture_003.JPG (56.31 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
Alun

Post by Alun »

Thanks for sharing that with us Jim and Fiona and looking forward to hearing the LWR version too. By the sound of things, it's a bit of luck that internet friendly scratch and sniff images are a few years down the road :)

By contrast my own weekend was very subdued (working) and fragrant.
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

I have not laughed so hard in a long time .. the whole weekend was full of special funny moments ..

Here is one picture to give you an idea ..

full report to follow.

Post by 03001978 »

Sounds like you guys had a hoot!

Scotland is definately the place to be.

CW

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”