Trans-Am 500 - the seven year itch

Where you've been and what you done
Bart1

Re: Trans-Am 500 - the seven year itch

Post by Bart1 »

Your in the ball park cost wise Steve, my trip in 07 cost around £4k for everything including all bike expenses ie buying and selling, ins etc and with only a half dozen or so nights camping for two months.
I used cheap hotels and sometimes raided the local supermarkets for an evening meal and ate out as a treat.
My only regret is not bringing back the DR650 I rode.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

You should have brought your DR650 back Bart1!
I just checked....if you don't fancy the TAT, you can do a two week Morocco tour with BMW Motorad Tours.
If you use your own bike it'll cost just shy of £4000! That's using your own bike, but includes shipping......well you wouldn't want to ride your 2015 GSA all the way to Southern Spain for the ferry now would you :laugh:
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

Is there actually a sort of South/North sort of a TAT route ? Might be doing that in 2018 or whenever we get there from South America.

Excellent ride report Jenna. Well written. a joy to read and nice imagery too !

Ta, Ard
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
Bart1

Post by Bart1 »

SteveW wrote:You should have brought your DR650 back Bart1!
I just checked....if you don't fancy the TAT, you can do a two week Morocco tour with BMW Motorad Tours.
If you use your own bike it'll cost just shy of £4000! That's using your own bike, but includes shipping......well you wouldn't want to ride your 2015 GSA all the way to Southern Spain for the ferry now would you :laugh:
A bargain, at that price I'll go twice :woohoo:

There is the Shadow of the Rockies Trail here

http://www.transamtrail.com/shadow-of-t ... ies-trail/ going south to north, all the mountains you could ask for I believe.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

TBH I'm thinking that I could go to Mongolia and back twice for the same dosh - I really don't know ...

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

Cheers Bart1
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
Bart1

Post by Bart1 »

The Spanish Biker wrote:TBH I'm thinking that I could go to Mongolia and back twice for the same dosh - I really don't know ...

Simon
But would you have over 4000 miles of trails.
The great thing about the States is that there are endless trails, help can be accessed if needed but it still feels very lonesome in the West and you can always talk to someone when you stop. Maybe not "really hardcore" adventure riding but more than enough for most(and me). Just look at the number of abandoned rides on ADv.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Bart1 wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:TBH I'm thinking that I could go to Mongolia and back twice for the same dosh - I really don't know ...

Simon
But would you have over 4000 miles of trails.
The great thing about the States is that there are endless trails, help can be accessed if needed but it still feels very lonesome in the West and you can always talk to someone when you stop. Maybe not "really hardcore" adventure riding but more than enough for most(and me). Just look at the number of abandoned rides on ADv.
You've really hit the nail on the head there Paul; I think there's a circle to be squared between 'Travel' and 'Adventure' and that comes down to individual tastes, preferences, etc.

For me my priority is Travel - with the capital 'T' - and the 'adventure' is some of the challenges you get to face along the way. Using a motorbike adds to the travel experience for me and also increases the likelihood of 'adventure' happening - of course it's also fun and, in theory at least, cheaper ...

Riding trails is fun, adventurous and get's you to places conventional roads can't take you to - so that's why I have the bike I do and how it's set up - likewise the camping, luggage, etc.

I visualise a sort of sliding scale with 100% trail at one end and a pure road trip at the other - actually to go one way on a trail bike and return leg on a f***-off Electra Glyde would be really cool :whistle: - and it's interesting how Jenny frequently refers to amazing road sections and detours to places of interest. I find a lot of the Trans-Pyrenean riders that I meet end up feeling the same way - usually when it's too late and they're nearly finished.

My tyres are about 60:40 road over trail so I guess that's the kind of range I'm talking about along my scale. As I've mentioned already I also have to get real about time and budget - unless I win the Lottery! - so that's why I'm going to Morocco first - I have the bike, enough money and the right time of year to go, i.e. next autumn - and then somewhere even more adventurous if and when I can afford it.

In any event with history being "just one darned thing after another" we'll just have to wait and see what the better option is as and when that time comes, but I also have the feeling that I'll never have £4K - interesting that it seems either way costs about the same! - going spare, sad as that is, so maybe my US adventure - wild horses wouldn't get Polly to the US! - will have to be by some other means.

So, Jenny, I have kit enough and I'm fit enough (well by the time I've finished it) to walk the Pyrenees, now what's the score with geriatric rail/bus passes over there? (thumbs)

Regs

Simon

PS Ard - tell us more about your Americas trip!
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

JMoandpiglet

Post by JMoandpiglet »

The Spanish Biker wrote:
So, Jenny, I have kit enough and I'm fit enough (well by the time I've finished it) to walk the Pyrenees, now what's the score with geriatric rail/bus passes over there?
If you mean the US, you're pretty much on your own I'm afraid... that's why they all drive huge SUVs and take planes everywhere ;o)

Jx
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

JMoandpiglet wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:
So, Jenny, I have kit enough and I'm fit enough (well by the time I've finished it) to walk the Pyrenees, now what's the score with geriatric rail/bus passes over there?
If you mean the US, you're pretty much on your own I'm afraid... that's why they all drive huge SUVs and take planes everywhere ;o)

Jx
Well my old friend in Charleston retires in a few years time too and she's always moaning about the southern summer heat so plans to spend these moths in Europe, so there's always her truck - can't let the battery run down now can we ... (thumbs)

Regs

Simon

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”