Check your MoT date

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Tonibe63

Check your MoT date

Post by Tonibe63 »

I've just taken my Wife's car 10 days early for an MoT which it passed.
The old Mot expires 3/12/15 but the new one issued today expires on 22/11/16 which is 12 months from today NOT 12 months from the expiry date of the old MoT :angry: :angry: .
I rang my mate (I mean the MoT tester ;) ) who said it sometimes happens but they can only print the info sent down the wire from DVSA so I would have to ring them direct.
I rang DVSA (only took 5 minutes) who said it was a computer error and they would post out a new MoT certificate with the correct expiry date of 3/12/16 on it.
So check your certificate dates otherwise you could find yourself merrily riding/driving without an Mot due to a DVSA error from 12 months ago which you didn't notice (thumbs) .
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
bowber

Re: Check your MoT date

Post by bowber »

DVSA made a mistake! Surly not, even more surprising they admitted it!
I always have panics about Tax, MOT's etc near the due time, got up around 3am one morning as I wasn't sure if my wifes bike was taxed and MOT'd, it was.

Steve
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

i'm not very organised with mot's - been a few times when i've been blissfully riding/driving completely unaware that it had expired months ago :whistle:
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

I got pulled, doing 99mph (ish) on the M62 once, on my Honda Blackbird.

Ello, Ello, Ello, he says... And do I know why he's pulled me over?

I just looked at him and laughed :whistle:

He said he wasn't arsed about me "cruising on an empty road" - but couldn't ignore my MOT being expired - the day before!

£50 fine I think I got - still coulda been worse, coulda banned me - he was a biker though :evil:
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

Odd coincidence, but last night I convinced myself that the mot on my X challenge was due, so I dug out my file of papers.... X challenge MOT ran out in February and the VFR ran out in July.... Only my F800GS is legal... Bugger, need to be more organised!

Amazing that they can send you a reminder that your tax is about to expire, but they don't do the same for the MOT

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

Thanks for this -

The panzer ran out on the 3rd November :ohmy:

I was out for 150 miles on it on Sunday !!!
When nothing is going right - go left
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Dave DRZ wrote:Odd coincidence, but last night I convinced myself that the mot on my X challenge was due, so I dug out my file of papers.... X challenge MOT ran out in February and the VFR ran out in July.... Only my F800GS is legal... Bugger, need to be more organised!

Amazing that they can send you a reminder that your tax is about to expire, but they don't do the same for the MOT

Dave
I am sure you can pay something like £1.50 and they will text a reminder, sure I did it on my last bike.
Campagman

Post by Campagman »

Easy check on the DVLA web site

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Just need the reg and make.

Also gives duty/tax date and SORN info
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

Campagman wrote:Easy check on the DVLA web site

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Just need the reg and make.

Also gives duty/tax date and SORN info

Thanks for this Campagman, turns out the X Challenge has an MOT (I did it in Feb, no idea where the paperwork is though), the VFR ran out in July (in my defence, your honour, I've barely ridden it since July). Still, something to do over the next week or so.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Thanks for the timely reminder. Forgot all about MOT's as the Explorer isn't due it's first one for another 12 months. Now the wife's got next year's calendar hanging up, I shall put it in straight away. Yet to master the smartphone reminder option/app, which I guess wouldn't stand up in court as a defence.

Return to “TECHNICAL”