Traffic Cops in Tractors

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Post Reply
IainD
Posts: 668
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:21 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Traffic Cops in Tractors

Post by IainD » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:53 pm

I was emailed by a friend in Beverley to tell me about this news story from East Yorks:

BBC News Link

Quite funny really, just shows how low they will go. East Yorks Traffic Cops hide in bushes, behind bus shelters and walls etc. to try and catch people speeding.

I once had one pop up from behind a field gate as I approached him South of Wetwang, he looked a bit surprised when he popped up and I just waved at him (I could see him from up the hill as the road curved round).

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
Nigel
Posts: 3923
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Traffic Cops in Tractors

Post by Nigel » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:56 pm

Lets hope Norfolk plod don`t see that, there`s a lot of tractors around here, I would be a nervous wreck :ohmy:
Once saw a car with the hatchback open parked at the side of a field, thought that`s funny parked there, then I saw the fluro vest and I braked quite heavily :whistle: the copper walked into the road to stop me and during our polite conversation he showed me the speed on the radar gun, 70 in a 60 and I thought it was a lot more than that before I threw out the anchor :whistle: I was on a wide open clear road so it wasn`t a narrow country lane but it`s a great road to those in the know ;)

boristhebold
Posts: 508
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: Traffic Cops in Tractors

Post by boristhebold » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:51 pm

IainD wrote: Quite funny really, just shows how low they will go.
I would have agreed with that years ago but...having had several days out 'altered' by diversions due to road closures because of fatal motorcyclist 'accidents' and with publicity/education (whatever you want to call it) obviously failing miserably...I hardly blame them. I rode to the Lake District today, bimbled along nicely on my old nail and saw a number of leather clad morons riding like, well erm morons...how else to deal with them ???

sprintster
Posts: 2866
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:49 pm
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Traffic Cops in Tractors

Post by sprintster » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:54 pm

boristhebold wrote:
IainD wrote: Quite funny really, just shows how low they will go.
I would have agreed with that years ago but...having had several days out 'altered' by diversions due to road closures because of fatal motorcyclist 'accidents' and with publicity/education (whatever you want to call it) obviously failing miserably...I hardly blame them. I rode to the Lake District today, bimbled along nicely on my old nail and saw a number of leather clad morons riding like, well erm morons...how else to deal with them ???
If you were bimbling along nicely how do you know they were riding like morons...presumably you didn't keep up with them long enough to see how they were riding...or is anyone in one-piece leathers riding faster than you a moron? :unsure:
But back to the original thread,how does hiding behind a hedge reduce bike accidents? Surely if there is a long straight with some hidden junctions for example it would be better to sit out and be obvious.About the only places I ever see camera vans around here are tucked away at the end of an overtaking lane on a main road.That has got f#@k all to do with road safety! :pinch:

-Ralph-
Posts: 6803
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:16 pm

Re: Traffic Cops in Tractors

Post by -Ralph- » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:33 am

They are saying it's only High End offenders being targeted.

IF they are only ticketing riders and drivers doing 86 mph or over in a 60 limit, which is the ACPO guideline for a court summons, then they have my blessing and congratulations on doing a good job.

If they are visible or known to be on a certain stretch of road, the 90-100 mph idiots will slow down until they are past, then speed straight back up to 90-100mph again. The only way to sort them out is plonk them in front of a judge and take them off the road, which would be a huge plus for road safety, a plus for motorcycle accident statistics, and a plus for improving the image bikers have with the general public.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

-Ralph-
Posts: 6803
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:16 pm

Re: Traffic Cops in Tractors

Post by -Ralph- » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:40 am

sprintster wrote:If you were bimbling along nicely how do you know they were riding like morons...presumably you didn't keep up with them long enough to see how they were riding...or is anyone in one-piece leathers riding faster than you a moron? :unsure:
Personally if I see them approach rapidly in my mirrors, they pass me at twice my speed, they go round the next corner with the knee on the tarmac, and I can hear the exhausts wailing, then I've seen enough to know that they are riding like morons.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

boristhebold
Posts: 508
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: Traffic Cops in Tractors

Post by boristhebold » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:52 am

sprintster wrote:
boristhebold wrote:
IainD wrote: Quite funny really, just shows how low they will go.
I would have agreed with that years ago but...having had several days out 'altered' by diversions due to road closures because of fatal motorcyclist 'accidents' and with publicity/education (whatever you want to call it) obviously failing miserably...I hardly blame them. I rode to the Lake District today, bimbled along nicely on my old nail and saw a number of leather clad morons riding like, well erm morons...how else to deal with them ???
If you were bimbling along nicely how do you know they were riding like morons...presumably you didn't keep up with them long enough to see how they were riding...or is anyone in one-piece leathers riding faster than you a moron? :unsure:
I sat happily at the posted 40s, 50s and 60s. Sat and waited for safe overtakes etc, saw headlight in mirror at least 800 yards back, passed me within a mile and a half and vanished into the distance after several dodgy overtakes...all obviously in my humble opinion. I also saw a number of normally ridden bikes...sports bikes, adv style bikes, tourers etc...but this thread is about sneaky ways of catching speeders or bad riders.

V_King
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:10 pm

Re: Traffic Cops in Tractors

Post by V_King » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:28 am

every weekend I see plenty of sunday bimblers, going all over the road, missing by a hairwidth a lot of obvious hazzards, going over red ligts and taking hours to make a simple overtake, because they saw daewoo matiz going at screaming 40mph somewhere in the horizon :dry:

can't find the caricature from one very good diving skills book, which the author takes a bit of micky of the "safe" sunday drivers ... :evil:

and regarding the OP, google about german police imagination regarding planting speed cameras in the most imaginary way. you'll find brits still have a lot to learn :D
""

Post Reply

Return to “THE PUB”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 155 guests