CB-Xing in the Northwest

Post up pics of you and your bike. A place for members to get all arty farty, creative and, er, post up snaps.
Chris S

CB-Xing in the Northwest

Post by Chris S »

A stunning day of CB-Xing up here in the northwest.
The light and turning bracken this time of year is something else.
And the show doesn't stop after the sun goes down. ;-)

P1000405.JPG
P1000405.JPG (33.63 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
P1000414.JPG
P1000414.JPG (98.31 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
P1000436.JPG
P1000436.JPG (68.18 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
P1130791.jpg
P1130791.jpg (48.92 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
P1000478.JPG
P1000478.JPG (76.02 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
equinox.jpg
equinox.jpg (25.58 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
aurora.jpg
aurora.jpg (44.5 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
videoman

Re: CB-Xing in the Northwest

Post by videoman »

Great photos and what do you think of the CB-X, have you done many mods to it or is it standard?
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Nice one Chris

That track round the lake / reservoire looks nice, where is it?
Neil M

Post by Neil M »

Great bike and stunning pics. Perfect time for a ride.
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

If all you do is solo riding it really is all the bike you'll ever need and a third of the price of the big adv bikes. Great pics, thanks
BIG DON

Post by BIG DON »

B)

A nice looking bike and some wonderful photos thanks for sharing.
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

V-man: my CB-X is essentially standard bar Rally Raid's bashplate/crashbar and back racks and a few other bits and pieces you can read about here.
On the way back south I'll be stopping off at RRP to get the full Level 3 treatment including something new (to them): properly sealed spoke rims like I DIY'd on my Tenere a few years back.
Heading to Morocco and then Western Sahara in a month.

qef.jpg
qef.jpg (41.52 KiB) Viewed 2744 times

I liked the X as soon as it came out and got this 14 model for a bargain £3200.
Quite coincidentally Rally Raid saw the potential in it too. It's not a 690 - but it's not a GS12 etc either.
It's a bargain like the XT660 was when it came out in 2008.
Years ago I tried to make something similar with a GS500 - an experiment.
17-inch wheels are a problem for all-roading (or so it is thought) - RRP's 19" will see to that.
Road suspension is more the limiting factor - RRP sort that too. I'm tall enough but may miss the low seat after the RRP suspension makeover.

It's a very pleasant, easy to ride moto and to me looks great, does up to 90mpg and goes as fast as I need.
Some might call it bland but I'm over all that - sort of. The RRP kit will give it a bit of scrambling cachet - and not just in looks.

What would have made the CB-X completely irresistible to me is a 270-degree crank, like in the 700 Cross-twins, the new AT and the Yam S10 and MT-07. I even bought a cheap TDM (270) earlier in the year in the hope of Tenerising a silk, all-road purse from a heavy sow's ear. Again, Honda have done that for us with the new AT.

Paul S: right about here. I recall someone mentioned it on here a couple of years ago wrt the things to do during the Ullapool rally.
It goes 8km to the off-grid community of Scoraig, but a couple of clicks in I figured if I come up against something I can't ride or do coming back, or slip and fall left on my road tyres and stock suspension (more likely), reversal or recovery would be very hard or impossible alone. You're on a track alongside a 1 in 1 drop to the loch that most of the time is too narrow to turn a bike round. I walked on a mile until I clocked Scoraig round the headland and to that point it was still rideable.
Anyway, I was happy to get some nice pics of the CB-X looking like it was green laning.

I was also reminded of the militant actions of some Scoraigers as told to me by an irate local the other day, and figured if they want to live an alternative lifestyle on the end of a remote peninsula only accessible by informal ferry or foot, the welcome to a motorbike rocking up over the hill - even an inoffensive CB-X - may not be so warm. May go back next week on more right-on pushbikes. There are some interesting yurty/earthship type dwellings there I'd like to see.

And looking at that OS 25k map linked above, I now see the track turns to path soon after where I left the bike or walked to. And that is probably not an RoW so I think I did the right thing in both senses.

As you may know, ironically green laning does not exist is less congested Scotland as it does (what's left of it) in England and Wales.
Rightly or wrongly I interpreted the sign below as a legal right of way, but as it is, in the UK I don't like to push my moto in where it may not be appreciated by those who live there. For that we have the Sahara.

P1130830.JPG
P1130830.JPG (158.04 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
Thanks Neil M and Big D. Boris the B: my thoughts precisely.
On a day like that up here there's nowhere better to be. Today overcast and chilly again. Monday looks good. Get on up here! I'm sure the recently promoted NC500 has been mentioned on this forum, even if most of us could have worked that out without the help of a PR agency ;-)
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Cheers Chris
videoman

Post by videoman »

Thanks for the info Chris as I have been looking at a replacement for my elderly VFR 800 for some time and for some reason keep coming back to the CB500X with a few mods like yours.

Morocco, well I purchased your book Sahara Overland and Adventure Motorcycling some ten years ago with the intention of visiting Morocco but as yet not made it, perhaps next year though!
AustinW

CB-Xing in the Northwest

Post by AustinW »

Chris S wrote:
Paul S: right about here. I recall someone mentioned it on here a couple of years ago wrt the things to do during the Ullapool rally.
It goes 8km to the off-grid community of Scoraig, but a couple of clicks in I figured if I come up against something I can't ride or do coming back, or slip and fall left on my road tyres and stock suspension (more likely), reversal or recovery would be very hard or impossible alone.
That was me Chris. The status of the track is unclear. It is on highland council's list of streets, but is described there as a path. I asked them to clarify and they said "it means its a path" and wouldn't be drawn on whether that meant I could ride a motorcycle along it. However I did get permission from the community association to bring a small group of bikes from the rally down the path and who were going to put on soup and sandwiches for us and open up their shops and galleries. However on the day the weather was crap - wet and V windy so I pulled the ride.

Like you I went on a solo recce down the track and turned round after a short distance as I also felt vulnerable with the steep drop (and the wind) but I was told that a guy regularly commutes along the track on a Honda (CG?)125 to his car that he leaves at the road end. Local knowledge, eh. Mabawza on this site is the best person to find out more.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

Return to “WE LOVE PICS”