Malta or Bust!

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Lairyskippy

Malta or Bust!

Post by Lairyskippy »

Well Folks, the time is almost upon me! Been waiting, planning and dreaming of my trip since way before last Xmas and this Friday me and a mate are off to the sunny island for a mate's wedding.

Plan goes like this; Set off this Friday from Cheshire about 3pm and ride south to my mate's gaff in Berkshire (its quite a posh county so I may need to show my passport). Time enough for a cuppa, something to eat and make sure we've got what we need. Down to the Channel Tunnel for a 2am :ohmy: train.

First stop Besancon Saturday night, some 370 miles from the tunnel. Saturday am, head south towards Naples via Rapallo and Rome taking in as much of the coast road as possible. Need to be at the ferry port in Naples for Tuesday night for an 8pm crossing to Palermo in Sicily.....a few beers to be had on the boat (lets hope the sea is not too rough :silly: )

Arrive Palermo on Wednesday about 6.30am and ride across the island to pick up the fast ferry (1.5 hours) to Valetta in Malta.......straight to hotel for BEER :woohoo:

After a few days partying, retrace steps to Naples and have 7 days to get home before she notices I've not just popped to the newsagents :P Meeting up with some other mates in Briancon on the return.....could get messy!

Will take a many photos and videos as possible and post up when I get back.......all that remains is for me to get through the rest of the week at work :angry:

Au Revoir!.....well nearly!
bunker

Re: Malta or Bust!

Post by bunker »

I'm sure it doesn't need to be said but - ENJOY! :woohoo:

Look forward to the ride report mate

:)
Triumph Tiger 885
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

That is most certainly the plan :laugh: .....cheers!
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Sounds like a great trip but that 2am train is gonna be a killer.:unsure: :unsure:

Besancon from Calais is only about 6(autoroute)hrs riding. No chance of a nights sleep at your mates, a 5am start and a 9.00am train? You'd still get to your hotel in plenty of time.

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

backofbeyond wrote:Sounds like a great trip but that 2am train is gonna be a killer.:unsure: :unsure:

Besancon from Calais is only about 6(autoroute)hrs riding. No chance of a nights sleep at your mates, a 5am start and a 9.00am train? You'd still get to your hotel in plenty of time.
Sure not looking forward to the middle of the night trip down to Folkestone but by the time we get over the water it'll be almost getting light (yes, I'm an optimist!) We did consider a later start but we wanted to avoid as much motorway as possible so hence the 2am train.

If we need to make up time we'll jump on the motorway for an hour and then back onto the lovely N and D routes!
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Lairyskippy wrote:
Sure not looking forward to the middle of the night trip down to Folkestone but by the time we get over the water it'll be almost getting light (yes, I'm an optimist!) We did consider a later start but we wanted to avoid as much motorway as possible so hence the 2am train.

If we need to make up time we'll jump on the motorway for an hour and then back onto the lovely N and D routes!
I only mentioned it as it's a route I know well (we've a flat near Grenoble) and over the years I've tried just about every timetable / route option around in an attempt to find the best combination of cost / time / convenience. Without a doubt the absolute worst is the 2.00am ferry crossing (not tried that time in the tunnel). Adrenalin gets you down to Dover and on the boat but afterwards, faced with a 600 mile (for us) drive / ride fatigue sets in big time. Even if you can get through it the following day is an ordeal (particularly map reading!) rather than a pleasure.

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

backofbeyond wrote:
Lairyskippy wrote:

I only mentioned it as it's a route I know well (we've a flat near Grenoble) and over the years I've tried just about every timetable / route option around in an attempt to find the best combination of cost / time / convenience. Without a doubt the absolute worst is the 2.00am ferry crossing (not tried that time in the tunnel). Adrenalin gets you down to Dover and on the boat but afterwards, faced with a 600 mile (for us) drive / ride fatigue sets in big time. Even if you can get through it the following day is an ordeal (particularly map reading!) rather than a pleasure.
I do appreciate your advice and realise that its going to be a long, long day. At least we've got a hotel in Besancon for the first night, after that it's camping all the way until we get to Malta.

I've done a couple of long hauls before. Once was travelling back from Prague to Weston super Mare in one hit. 18 hours including the ferry from Calais to Dover and just shy of the infamous 1000 miles......never again!

The other long one was similar to the one I'm just about to embark on. I left Weston super Mare in the middle of the afternoon and rode up to a mate's place in Welwyn Garden City. Set off from his house at about 10.30pm and went by ferry from Dover to Calais and then rode all the way to Carcassone. Got there about 6.30pm if I recall rightly. Now that was a long way but at least I was on a comfy V Strom 1000, one was on a KTM 950 Adventure, another on a Fazer 1000.....and the last on a Ducati 996....oh how we laughed along the motorway sections! :lol:
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Lairyskippy wrote: I do appreciate your advice and realise that its going to be a long, long day. At least we've got a hotel in Besancon for the first night, after that it's camping all the way until we get to Malta.

I've done a couple of long hauls before. Once was travelling back from Prague to Weston super Mare in one hit. 18 hours including the ferry from Calais to Dover and just shy of the infamous 1000 miles......never again!
Sorry, I didn't mean it to come across as advice - makes it sound like I know what I'm talking about :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: It was just the mention of the 2.00am channel transit had me thinking back to the last time I tried it about 18 months ago. I thought the boat would be empty and I could get a couple of hours sleep. Instead it was packed and there were loads of 6yr olds running around tripping over my feet. :( :( . No sleep until I got off the ferry when I couldn't keep my eyes open!

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

backofbeyond wrote:
Lairyskippy wrote: I do appreciate your advice and realise that its going to be a long, long day. At least we've got a hotel in Besancon for the first night, after that it's camping all the way until we get to Malta.

Sorry, I didn't mean it to come across as advice - makes it sound like I know what I'm talking about :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: It was just the mention of the 2.00am channel transit had me thinking back to the last time I tried it about 18 months ago. I thought the boat would be empty and I could get a couple of hours sleep. Instead it was packed and there were loads of 6yr olds running around tripping over my feet. :( :( . No sleep until I got off the ferry when I couldn't keep my eyes open!
Ha ha, trust me I need all the help I can get mate. I know what you mean about packed boats.....made a mistake a few years back and vowed never to do it again....shows you how much I learn from my mistakes!! :laugh:
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

Wow what a double whammy!

A road trip of epic proportions and to a lovely country too, you lucky lucky basteward!

Have fun and ride safe, full report and loads of pics on your return, IT'S THE LAW!
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."

Return to “TRAVEL”