BMW GS.... is it time to have one?

The Things We Ride
Diesel Pete

BMW GS.... is it time to have one?

Post by Diesel Pete »

My poor yet beloved Tiger 955i is now getting a bit to long in the tooth so I think its time to retire her.

A GS has always been on my list of bikes I should have at some point. I particlarly like the 1150 but that is based purely on looks.

I know a GS will do comfort. mile munching, rough stuff etc and be the perfect bike for me 90% of the time and probably be better than my 955i most of the time.

Serious question.... even though I know the GS isn't designed for it but when in those lovely Alpine passes I am usually hammering the knackers off my poor Tiger to keep up with mates as we do like to crack on..... will the GS be better or worse than my Tiger on those occasions?

It's not a deal breaker of course as it's only once or twice a year and a very small amount of the overall use of the bike and 90% of the time a GS will suit my riding and what I use a bike for perfectly. I am just wondering how it will compare to "Tigger"

If I win the Euromillions I will have a man waiting at strategic points of each trip with a selection of bikes to suit the occasion but sadly that is unlikely so as ever its a compromise :whistle:

Yes, I know its a bit of a daft question but its a question nonetheless
gebrauchtwagen83

Re: BMW GS.... is it time to have one?

Post by gebrauchtwagen83 »

I find it much more agile than the 955. It's better balanced and feels much lighter on the move. I found th 955 to be a bit top heavy. I don't think you will be disappointed . It will be a fair bit quicker as well if you go for the 1200. The 1150 won't feel any quicker really but I still think will feel nicer on the twists .
boristhebold

Post by boristhebold »

Go to a main dealer and take a newish one out for a few hours, find your favourite roads and see how you feel. An 1150 won't be too dis-similar to the 12 in feel, justy slower but very, very capable and its the twistys where they really do excel IMHO
andymac

Post by andymac »

Go for it!!!
work hard,,,,,,,,,,,play harder !!
sidestand

Post by sidestand »

Yup, you'll love it - but make sure your test ride is at least 100 miles/half a day - the dealer won't mind (thumbs)
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

You will definitely surprise your mates on there sports bikes (thumbs)
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
Steev68

Post by Steev68 »

Rederic wrote:You will definitely surprise your mates on there sports bikes (thumbs)
Love this. Just goes to show how much more important a good, smooth riding style is over a flat out and anchor on for quick, and more importantly, safe progress. And the bike running 2 up.. haha, great!
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

Rederic wrote:You will definitely surprise your mates on there sports bikes (thumbs)
didn't take you long to jump on this post, remember when we went to Glencoe and you upset that gsx1000r or your gs.lol isn't this video just like your normal sunday ride out with chris round the dales.lol lol :woohoo:
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Diesel Pete wrote:
Serious question.... even though I know the GS isn't designed for it but when in those lovely Alpine passes I am usually hammering the knackers off my poor Tiger to keep up with mates as we do like to crack on..... will the GS be better or worse than my Tiger on those occasions?
I don't know if you saw my post about our recent trip to the Dolomites but the GS's on that trip were superb and the quickest out of this lot. We also like to crack on and I was impressed with what I saw...

my Yamaha Fazer 1000, a Tuono 1000, a Ducati Monster 821, 4 BMW 1200 GS’s, a Honda VFR 1200, a Honda VFR 800, a Triumph Street Triple 675, a KTM 1190 Adventure, a Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200, a Triumph Sprint 1050, a BMW F800GS, and a BMW 1200RT.

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... s-lot.html
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Saw a clip on the UKGSer site of someone on an 1150GS going round the Isle of Man circut & it was impressive to say the least.

There is actually a 1150 GS for sale at the minute with a lovely one-off paint scheme.

Return to “BIKES”