A ktm 640 adv, a 40 year old late starter and a dream of rally raid.

Bikers and riding
EricKTM@

Post by EricKTM@ »

Ok. This will be a slow thread.

I've had a dream of taking part in rally raid events for years now and although I haven't loads of cash to get started I have started the ball rolling.

I sold my ktm 450 exc as I had a chance at picking up a 2006 640 adv. I recon it's a good platform to start with so I will start modifying for rally raid.

I hope to do two of the all terrain rally change events in 2016 in the UK and at least one euro rally later in 2016.

I am a novice. Have done a few enduros and placed middle of the field. I am by no means great on a bike but those who sit on the fence never do. I'm an aging solider. Due to retire in 2 years 6 months. I turned 40 this year. I don't won't to look back in years to come and say I should have given it a go.

So as money allows I'll get the build started and hopefully open a new chapter in my life as a rally raid competitor although my aim will only ever be with finishing events as I am not deluded. ;)

"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
EricKTM@

Re: A ktm 640 adv, a 40 year old late starter and a dream of rally raid.

Post by EricKTM@ »

Original fairing is gone and a carbon Kevlar rally fairing is on route from rally raid engineering so after I took it for a work out today I decided to fit the high fender and fork protectors.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
EricKTM@

Post by EricKTM@ »

Took the carbon tank protectors off as there quite dull looking and hadn't been fitted correctly resulting in one of them almost coming off yesterday. Sticky tape came to the rescue on that one.

So I'll clean them up with a new coat of lacquer and refit them correctly.
EricKTM@

Post by EricKTM@ »

So above are the pics of the new seat cover. Not much more happening at present. I got fork seals, a service kit and cleaned and refitted the carbon tank guards.

It's going to be a few more weeks until I get the parts from oz so no panic really anyway.

I have fitted a mitas e09 front tyre also. Other then that I've just been getting bits and peaces prices up and trying to source suspension springs etc.
EricKTM@

Post by EricKTM@ »

Collected the rally raid engineering fairing and frame protectors from the post office today and promptly fitted them. Very happy with them.

EricKTM@

Post by EricKTM@ »

It's on the go a couple of months now so I thought I might as well get the thead on for you guys to have a look at it your interested.

So that bring me up to this week.

I have a fork rebuild kit and a service kit, oil, air filter there for it so I'll do all that and the valve clearance this week and she'll be good to go for the paddy Dakar the end of the month. But she is a long way away from being the rally bike.
scoobydidler

Post by scoobydidler »

Best things come to those who wait!
Good luck with it, il be watching with interest.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

Can't pretend that I know what a rally raid event is, but good on you for having a go. Like you say, better than not having a go and regretting it in a few years.

One of the things I've never liked about KTMs is that they are so, well, orange. So the more bits you replace with stuff that looks like carbon, the better (thumbs)

Best of luck with it.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
rallymoto

Post by rallymoto »

eric ,
fantastic im nearer to 60 and i love it ,im sure you will too ,great people helpful to boot
come on !
EricKTM@

Post by EricKTM@ »

Thanks for the interest so far lads and for the contact through phone etc. nice talking to you and the advice going forward was great. :)

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”