Are ABR Rallies a thing of the past ?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
PaulinBont

Re: Are ABR Rallies a thing of the past ?

Post by PaulinBont »

tefflon wrote:Well you my ask about the paddy Dakar it's PaulinBont he lets you cook your food then comes along and eats it or tells others members you are doing food what a nice man

Are you selling bacon rolls this year for the charity Steve?
tefflon

Post by tefflon »

Hi Paul

Only if you arnt coming lol are you ok
skipper

Post by skipper »

Just wonder how many would have turned up in ullapool if it was wall to wall sunshine, me for one.maybe more continental rallies or Perhaps global warming may help.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Bianchi wrote:
sprintster wrote:I'm just back from Ullapool and it was alright but I don't know if I would bother going again.I only went for Saturday night as the weather was crap on Friday and I didn't fancy a 3 hour run after work.When I got there I chatted to a few folk but the funny thing is most of them weren't regular posters on here but then everyone went away to get something to eat.I think the problem with Ullapool is that there is too much choice of hotels to go to.Unless you're already in with a crowd it's hard to meet up with others than if a rally was just based at one pub.I then came back to the campsite and there was only one other person standing around to speak to so it was into my tent with my bottle of wine by 9:15.
I would probably have spoken to just as many people if I had been camping on my own.In fact the longest chat I had all weekend was with an Irish couple on a Blackbird in Durness.
That's the problem with most ABR rallies no central meeting point you turn up pay your money and that's it ... Be as well just going camping with your mates ... One more reason why it's not working ... Why do we still call them ABR rallies, why not just call the the boil rally and the countryman rally and put it out there .. For everyone to attend off a couple of forums ...
If they're low on numbers then that has to be the way forward but then you run the risk of them being over subscribed and forum members maybe missing out?

I've got to say that I prefer rallies where there isn't a pub or hotel nearby because then everyone stays on site, cooks on site and drinks on site which makes for a much friendlier atmosphere.

I'd also ban cars and campervans unless pre-booked for disabled people but I'm a bit old school like that :)
Bianchi

Post by Bianchi »

AndyB wrote:
Bianchi wrote:
sprintster wrote:I'm just back from Ullapool and it was alright but I don't know if I would bother going again.I only went for Saturday night as the weather was crap on Friday and I didn't fancy a 3 hour run after work.When I got there I chatted to a few folk but the funny thing is most of them weren't regular posters on here but then everyone went away to get something to eat.I think the problem with Ullapool is that there is too much choice of hotels to go to.Unless you're already in with a crowd it's hard to meet up with others than if a rally was just based at one pub.I then came back to the campsite and there was only one other person standing around to speak to so it was into my tent with my bottle of wine by 9:15.
I would probably have spoken to just as many people if I had been camping on my own.In fact the longest chat I had all weekend was with an Irish couple on a Blackbird in Durness.
That's the problem with most ABR rallies no central meeting point you turn up pay your money and that's it ... Be as well just going camping with your mates ... One more reason why it's not working ... Why do we still call them ABR rallies, why not just call the the boil rally and the countryman rally and put it out there .. For everyone to attend off a couple of forums ...
If they're low on numbers then that has to be the way forward but then you run the risk of them being over subscribed and forum members maybe missing out?

I've got to say that I prefer rallies where there isn't a pub or hotel nearby because then everyone stays on site, cooks on site and drinks on site which makes for a much friendlier atmosphere.

I'd also ban cars and campervans unless pre-booked for disabled people but I'm a bit old school like that :)
Yeah got to agree with most of that Andy hate going to bike rallies and people turn up in vans and campers or cars with bike trailers ... Bikes only ... After all it's a bike rally
dogman

Post by dogman »

Haggsbank is an A1 location. Danny is a top host,,,bar and hotel 1km back towards Alston( a quiet one but can be taken over ). Well worth the trip over from Belfast port. Will be back again next year mid-May rally or no rally,,,Well done Africa (hammock)John.
Africa John wrote:I think Danny's location at Haggsbank is good. There's no pub close by but Danny keeps his huge beer cooler well stocked and there was a good choice of local real ales. He does have rooms or you can camp on the field slope or in the wood (where you can hammock as well like me). He cooks food if we want that and organise in advance or he'll break the BBQ out. And then there's the camp fire.

Takoda's got pubs and takeaways close by and the common room and Paul's fires.

For the rest we organisers have to decide what to offer you as trying to get a consensus out of all the wants when we ask proved a nightmare. I didn't know the area around Haggsbank well before this year but we managed to organise some road and off round ride outs. And there was music and French girls!!

This year's was put together in a hurry when the Boil was cancelled but next year's will be better as we have longer to plan it now and I know better what you lot want

John
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

the welsh abr meeting was originally at the aciant britain
good pub with rooms and a campsite ..everyone happy

great orginisation guided rideouts from nick plumb and the turatech guys co and some of the best trails in the country on the doorstep ..same venue as the taffy dakar

some bright spark decided to move it to a shitty feild miles from anywhere ..
..that for me was the best meet of the year and its never hit the heights it did

mystery to me why that happened a real shame
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
herman

Post by herman »

I think the rallies are on the whole a very good thing to have going but they are always going to be a niche within a niche surely? I have been to a few but rallies are not really my thing and never have been. The ride outs have always been the highlights mind whether off or on road as its always good to meet folks whilst actually riding rather than talking about it.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

The reason the welsh abr didnt happen after first year was some of us wanted a different location for trails and folks where asked...

But no bugger local in wales would help with organising even though us southerners voluntiered to lead trail groups....and getting food at bar was a nightmare...also thw sitw was half finished...

Craig and the welsh lads did put on a good event and i must have missed nick plumb...

Same as.lymington rally has moved to salisbury plain but that is getting long on tooth...

Everyone likes a change of venue....why has no one done a french mini meet in northern france ....
big al

Post by big al »

Actually Minkyhead,the west wales rally has been going a lot longer than the ABR RALLY.
It started about 10 years ago over on Ukgs when a few of us got together and had a chill out weekend with some like minded biker mates over a beer and some grub.
I don't know who started the original ABR RALLY at the Ancient Britton but it wasn't me (thumbs) .all I know is that I was asked if I would consider naming the west wales rally
The West wales Weekend ABR RALLY when I joined the forum. And as for a shitty field in the middle of nowhere, I'm sorry but you must be in the wrong field.
Al

Return to “THE PUB”