None of us have a clue how to do this …

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
Mr Free Market

None of us have a clue how to do this …

Post by Mr Free Market »

… so lets get out there & find out

Having spent twenty years avoiding gravel, last weekend I took my Ten off road for the first time: clearly I didn’t kill myself, nor did my bike get trashed. Maybe most surprising of all was that in between the odd period of mortal terror, I actually really enjoyed myself.

So I was wondering if there are any other off road virgins that fancy meeting up on Saturday 30th July for a little trip out onto Salisbury Plain - I don't think that that day clashes with any of the more established events

The general idea would be to select the easiest range roads possible, a bit like this…

& just get out there.

If we do this, two things come to mind:

a) We go at the pace of the slowest rider, &
b) If you promise to help me pick my bike up when I fall off, I promise to return the compliment

As AckAckFlack put it to me the other day “it isn't about whether you came down the side of Everest on a big GS fully loaded or not, it is the enthusiasm for giving the Rough Road a go”

If there is any interest in doing this, maybe we could prevail upon the good offices of some the more experienced BBRR members to come along & help with a bit of mentoring (see the BBRR Group Board)

So anyone interested & if so, does that date work?

Over a long enough timeline, everyones survival rate drops to zero
GreatScott

Re: None of us have a clue how to do this …

Post by GreatScott »

Blind leading the blind? Sounds fun. I'lll see if I can get a pass......apparently not if I stay on the computer all night and don't go to bed
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

I'm IN!

That date should be fine for me, now to persuade SWMBO!
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
AckAckFlack

Post by AckAckFlack »

Fantastic stuff Mr Free Market.
Sadly I am working that day but will be there in spirit and strength... The strength bit will help you pick the bikes up (if needed)

So a SHOUT OUT
Is there anybody out there with experience in the area that fancies passing on their Jedi knowledge to some of the padawans?

Here are a couple of tips
Don't forget we never leave a man behind :) (by all means photograph him behind left behind)
When seeing an oncoming tank - he has the right of way! Forget keep to the left etc if he is on the left let him have it.
BBRR - Big Bike Rough Road Riders Group

It's all about how big it is and how Rough you use it :-)

The journey aimed to challenge the perception of blindness…

Usually People call me Sir... closely followed by 'You are making a scene!'
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

Sounds good to me! Have riden around there in the past but not too savvy with the places you can or cannot go, but happy to do some bike lifting and taking photos of the mishaps!
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
herman

Post by herman »

I'd be up for tail end charlie and picking up duties again if you require. I am back from the Lake District the night before but delays willing then I am up for it. You can practice picking my bike up as its nice and light. :)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

peejay wrote:Sounds good to me! Have riden around there in the past but not too savvy with the places you can or cannot go, but happy to do some bike lifting and taking photos of the mishaps!
Look forward to meeting you again - perhaps we could run down there together? B)
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Hi lads... and come on girls :P :P ....I could do a lead out if it helps people out as its only 40mins ride for me...

I know its only 2 weks after the summer boil but happy to get the less experienced out on the trails.

How about meet up at pewsey wharf 9am depart ..then straight on the lanes acroos both plains ..subject to routes being open with a mixture of surfaces and difficulty..and finish in Sailsbury .

Handy for tail end charlie "Herman";) ;) .

No panniers on bkies please and a sence of fun and road tyres will be okay as we`ll be going slowish and time and tips for the inexperienced...

depending on numbers we may need to make it 2 groups but will see how it rolls.
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

Can't wait! :)
davsato

Post by davsato »

:blush: i dont mind admitting im a virgin. (haven't said that for a long time!) 3 of us are provisionally up for this,
Varadero,
Vstrom,
XT600E supermoto.

Oddly its the lad on the supermoto with cold feet, or perhaps its the ride to pewsy?
Trying to talk #4 into it on his naked fireblade thingy but no dice
Dave

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”