The KLR 650 Project

The Things We Ride
picos mestizo

Re: The KLR 650 Project

Post by picos mestizo »

Labour of love. Realy nice tranformation & way harder to do than it looks (thumbs)
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
cowling

Post by cowling »

Look well stewie,

something very satisfying when u breathe new
life into a previously dead bike. I understand
Where u coming from doing just what's required
It's far to easy to chuck to much money at them
And end up in negative equity.

It's a head turner. :woohoo:
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

Finally got the bike to the MOT stage after a last minute problem with the live feed to the OSR indicator, I spotted it just as I was going through the checks before taking it down for the MOT , so after finding the problem, just replaced the main feed wire with new (thumbs)
Passed with no advisory's and it's the first time I've ridden it properly since I've had the bike and I really like the ride seems to have plenty of grunt (thumbs)
luckiegar

Post by luckiegar »

be a shame to get her muddy know stewie :whistle:
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

cowling wrote:Look well stewie,

something very satisfying when u breathe new
life into a previously dead bike. I understand
Where u coming from doing just what's required
It's far to easy to chuck to much money at them
And end up in negative equity.
Done this a few too many times. Now I leave the rose tinted bins at home when looking at a bike needing refurbishment. One of the easiest and cheapest rebuilds I have done was a 1954 350 bike that had sat rusting in a warehouse for most of it's life. Only 9K miles on the clock. Only significant new parts were, h/bars and grips, silencer, seat cover, clutch hub, wiring loom, tyres, tubes, tank badges, spokes and some nuts, bolts, washers. Wish I find another in a similar state. Rides really well. (thumbs)
Rebuilding later Jap stuff can get really expensive and once you are committed there is no way to back out. :pinch:

Your bike look very fine. Well done a very good result. I quite like these old Kawasaki thumpers, not fast or best suspension, but a good reliable bike. They work fine.(thumbs)
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

luckiegar wrote:be a shame to get her muddy now stewie :whistle:
I was toying with the idea of just keeping the KLR for light trails and distance trips, as it has 20/80tyres on and the parts are few and far between, but you just know I won't, now which way is Wales :laugh:
Out and about on a little shake down run, one of the hose spring clips let go on a sight bowl quick repair ( Thanks to Gav for the circlip and Andy for spotting it in the first place (thumbs) ) and back on my way :)
Normal service has been resumed (thumbs) top of Water lane. :)
I've had a look in the garage and noticed I've not got a 2smoke any more :whistle:
klr.it

Post by klr.it »

Very nice bike Stewie, exactly the same as mine all though mine is an 89 F plate. I think their quite rare in the uk though, don't see many around. (thumbs)
Grimetime

Post by Grimetime »

Saw one in Valencia last month.. Not a patch on yours like B)
IMG_1569.JPG
IMG_1569.JPG (46.97 KiB) Viewed 969 times
Doug Haywood
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

looking good stew been out today on the wilderbeast ...i got mine some better boingy bits ...and have been boinging around on it for four years ...there is somthing about the klrs soft engine .. like riding a st bernard dog it certainly more capable than it looks :lol: ...just as well i guess

maby the van is a thing of the past :evil:

..old school meanderings on a klr can get real addictive distance no object to a wilderbeast B) ...

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

Been using the bike for what it was made and it's held up quite well, apart from user error ( hole in engine block ) but keep coming up against a fueling problem, runs fine and after a hour or so the mid range power just completely bogs down, as if the vacuum on the lift has gone,had the carb to bits a few times now, still not right, better but not right and even set back to factory.
I've now bit the bullet and forked out for a new carb ( those that know me will know how rare that is :laugh: ) I'm going to fit the carb and if its ok then I'll change the engine block, so that's a total rebuild :unsure: .
On another note running C02 on the rear and MT21 front good combo (thumbs)

Pic's and questions to follow :laugh:

Return to “BIKES”