Top end work

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Ramboon

Top end work

Post by Ramboon »

The XR has started smoking ever so slightly.

I get a chuff of Blue smoke when bike is hot after I give it a handfull so Im thinking it may be the piston/rings starting to show a little wear. I dont notice much oil been used but then again its pretty early days.

Im not looking to get anything done til winter as its not much of a problem yet.

Im looking at worst case scenario maybe a rebore, hone, new piston and rings, small end bearing, and may aswell get the valves checked and the seals replaced aswell as the cam chain while its in bits.

If anyone else has had this type of work done and can recommend a decent company to do this work please let me know.

Thankya!
mark1150

Re: Top end work

Post by mark1150 »

Just done mine, and found glazed bore and the rings almost in line, so a quick hone and ring job and all's good.
Fowlers of Bristol supplied all the parts.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Ramboon

Post by Ramboon »

Hey mark1150, That doesnt sound bad, did you do the work yourself? Any special tools needed to get the rings on or remove anything?
Ive never done anything like this myself, guess I wont know EXACTLy whats up til it gets pulled apart for a good look see. Would feel better paying an expert to do it though.... Ive got time but no space!

The bike only has 10000kms on it but I have no idea if its been drowned in its previous life which may have started a bit of premature wear..... :unsure:

Also what were the symptoms of yours?
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Yes number one son stripped it down.
No special tools needed, including the honing stones; to which I priced the cheapest to be approx £15 on line, or just give the local bike shop £10 and they honed it, so that was a no brainer.
I bought standard rings, base, and head gaskets, plus tensioner gasket, and rocker cover gasket, (although it's made of metal it's likely that the rocker cover gasket will need replacing, and at £22 I did try reusing it but it leaked oil and I didn't want to use RTV so bit the bullet).
The job was reassembled without even having to use a piston ring tool.

Mine has approx 8000 Kilometers showing on the clock, and was smoking like a goodun.

Hope this helps.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R

Return to “TECHNICAL”