Fuel tank ranges?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
leo-david

Re: Fuel tank ranges?

Post by leo-david »

I've been really pleased with my 800GS fuel economy, even though its only got a sixteen litre tank I can do 200 miles before the lights on so its capable of 240-250 ish based on that (but never tried). Been getting 60+mpg even pushing it and 70+ on a slower run. On a recent trip up round Scotland we did a 170 mile run up round the west coast and back to Fort William, and when filling up at the same time, mine took a gallon less to fill up than my mates CBF1000 riding the same roads at the same speed.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

dash wrote:
Zookman wrote: I always set my trip meter to zero whenever the reserve light comes on, then put in usually £15 or £20 of fuel depending on if its the car or bike. Then take the trip mileage when the fuel light comes on again and put the figure in this calculator. This will give you your exact MPG.
I'd be suspicious of that method, mainly because I know the point at which the fuel gauge starts flashing on my Tenere is incredibly variable. Other bikes may have less rubbish gauges, but I generally just brim the tank with the bike upright on level ground, reset the trip counter, use most of the tank then see how much it takes to brim it full again. I don't think the capacity of the tank changes significantly between fill-ups, but I know the fuel gauge does :D
Yes, i am aware that the fuel warning light may vary on a bike. Its for this reason that i also take the miles per full tank and cross reference them with cualculating fuel by miles on the trip meter after the reserve light. My Bandit and V Strom always has the reserve light come on with accuracy each time and at the same time.
I'm quite anally retentive with MPG being exactly correct for my vehicles. Fuel prices are a big deal to me, and MPG determines whether i keep a bike or not.
It was the reason i got rid of my Varadero (early carbed one) which could never achieve more than 38/40 MPG.
dash

Post by dash »

Zookman wrote: Yes, i am aware that the fuel warning light may vary on a bike. Its for this reason that i also take the miles per full tank and cross reference them with cualculating fuel by miles on the trip meter after the reserve light. My Bandit and V Strom always has the reserve light come on with accuracy each time and at the same time.
I'm quite anally retentive with MPG being exactly correct for my vehicles. Fuel prices are a big deal to me, and MPG determines whether i keep a bike or not.
It was the reason i got rid of my Varadero (early carbed one) which could never achieve more than 38/40 MPG.
Fair enough. :D
Multirider

Post by Multirider »

I get around 180 on the Multi,that leaves around 4l in the tank but my arse needs a rest by then anyway!
The only thing the blues is afraid of is the pipes........

BMW G650GS

Suzuki DRZ400E

Jeep Cherokee 3.7 petrol

Mercedes CLK 320 Cabriolet - It's Summer!
The Wilbur

Post by The Wilbur »

Udders wrote:What sort of milages do people get from their different bikes? I've got a standard GS and get around 200 miles between fill ups. What do the different model KTM'S do? Africa Twins? Transalps etc.....
Which GS?

650 - 800 - 1100 - 1150 - 1200 ???
SUCK : SQUEEZE : BANG : BLOW

www.f650.co.uk
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

leo-david wrote:I've been really pleased with my 800GS fuel economy, even though its only got a sixteen litre tank I can do 200 miles before the lights on so its capable of 240-250 ish based on that (but never tried). Been getting 60+mpg even pushing it and 70+ on a slower run. On a recent trip up round Scotland we did a 170 mile run up round the west coast and back to Fort William, and when filling up at the same time, mine took a gallon less to fill up than my mates CBF1000 riding the same roads at the same speed.
The 800GS, really seem to have it sorted where fuel efficiancy is concerned. Every owners review i've read online gives a glowing report on MPG.
The Wilbur

Post by The Wilbur »

On my 2004 F650GS Twin Spark, I ran it out of fuel for research purposes ;)

265 miles and it took 17.3 litres to fill ( just like the manual said it would ) giving 69.645mpg.
SUCK : SQUEEZE : BANG : BLOW

www.f650.co.uk
Phil

Post by Phil »

04 Fazer 1000cc = 155 to 185 until fuel light, then about 40 miles on reserve (carbs)
trophydave

Post by trophydave »

Steve T wrote:I let the @ get to 200 miles then look for fuel. Never had it go onto reserve yet. Last tankful I got to 220 miles, reserve not needed and had to put 17lts into the 23ltr tank.
But I ride like a "girl", as AfricaJim & Largewayround will confirm :whistle: , so my fueling regimes will mean little in the real world ;)

Steve T
B)
I must ride like a ''girl'' as well seeing as I get the same sort of figures from my Africa Twin.:laugh:
stanbloke

Post by stanbloke »

170 / 180 riding at a steady pace 75ish.

160 is about the norm....but i have emptied the tanks at 110 miles while "pressing on ".:woohoo:

It really does depend on how you twist the throttle :)

keep it under 4and a half thou and its not too bad. Troble is, i only have an 150mile bum these days.:whistle:

Return to “THE PUB”