triumph bonneville as an alternative adventure bike

The Things We Ride
shrek090

triumph bonneville as an alternative adventure bike

Post by shrek090 »

Hi all lets face it you don't need a gs to have an adventure does anyone have any knowledge on owning a modern bonneville
threepot

Re: triumph bonneville as an alternative adventure bike

Post by threepot »

shrek090 wrote:Hi all lets face it you don't need a gs to have an adventure does anyone have any knowledge on owning a modern bonneville
Agree,but most on here won't. There's quite a bit of 'anti' Triumph on ABR. Your better off asking on..
www.triumphrat.net
http://www.htoc.co.uk. What about the Scrambler?
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Haven't owned one, but had one as a loaner when my DL650 L2 was in the dealers. Never so glad to get my own bike back, horrible suspension only good for a race track is the overriding memory. No room for the larger rider either, but then a PORG wouldn't want one of the current "adventure" styled bikes. But it looks really good and I still think about maybe having one, then think that the Kawasaki W800 would be a better option.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I haven't ridden one but there's a Steve McQueen Bonneville for sale in our local paper just now.It looks pretty cool! B)
213286.jpg
213286.jpg (111.3 KiB) Viewed 2859 times
Roy C.

Post by Roy C. »

I have a 2009 Bonneville, had it 2 and a half years, bought it with 1200 miles on, use it mainly for going out with the misses on, only needed a new speedo cable , now done 5000 miles. Try and find the picture Metal Mule used a year or so ago in their adverts showing a Scrambler. Super cool , you'll want one.
V_King

Post by V_King »

Oop North John wrote:Haven't owned one, but had one as a loaner when my DL650 L2 was in the dealers. Never so glad to get my own bike back, horrible suspension only good for a race track is the overriding memory. No room for the larger rider either, but then a PORG wouldn't want one of the current "adventure" styled bikes. But it looks really good and I still think about maybe having one, then think that the Kawasaki W800 would be a better option.
w800 is the worst bike I've ever ridden. Awful brakes, all over the place. Bonneville is not the best of the bikes and is beeing bought more with a heart than head, BUT every time I hear people saying that W800 is better than bonnie, there are two options. Either they have not riden it, or do not know anything about riding a motorcycle :laugh:
""
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

V_King wrote: Either they have not riden it, or do not know anything about riding a motorcycle :laugh:
First one is right, but, the tests I've read indicated that it was "better" than the Bonnie ..... :ohmy:
threepot

Post by threepot »

I borrowed one from Garlands in Haverfordwest once,and took it down to StDavids. I must say,I wasn't exactly blown away by it. But it was in comparison to my Daytona ;)
It was easy to ride. Performance was 'adequate' for what its designed for I suppose?
But it felt like the 'budget' bike in the range. You sound like a guy who's not sucked in by the 'No GS,No Adventure' hype. Try one. They have got a certain appeal though.
26738_1386666557570_1250278_n.jpg
26738_1386666557570_1250278_n.jpg (126.42 KiB) Viewed 2859 times
XF650

Post by XF650 »

w800 is the worst bike I've ever ridden. Awful brakes, all over the place. Bonneville is not the best of the bikes and is beeing bought more with a heart than head, BUT every time I hear people saying that W800 is better than bonnie, there are two options. Either they have not riden it, or do not know anything about riding a motorcycle :laugh:
Mate down the road was selling his very new Bonnie couple of years back. Took it for a spin and although I liked the fact it was a big twin, the ride was far too hard and made the experience unpleasant. Suspension rock hard despite being on the soft setting.

Re W800, always fancied one of these. Had my ZZR1400 in for a tyre change and the Kwack dealer let me take one out. Read loads of ride reports saying how great it was. CRAP! Couldn't wait to take it back, it handled like the frame was made of rubber, it was gutless and I had to turn around early. Maybe the 650 was better?

Triumph scrambler another bike that I thought was shite, horrible thing. Looked nice though. I'm not against Triumph btw, I judge each bike on it's own merits. Triumph Rocket III and the Thunderbird had great promise, cracking engines but only spoiled by too limited ground clearance for my liking.

No such thing as the perfect bike unless you build your own ha! :woohoo:
Roy C.

Post by Roy C. »

Hagon shocks transform really harsh ride £210 inc Vat.

Return to “BIKES”