Winter Sun?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
sprintster

Winter Sun?

Post by sprintster »

I'm already thinking about getting away for the Christmas holidays.Living in the north of Scotland I would prefer to fly from Aberdeen and stay for one week,hiring a bike in my destination.Last year I went to Madeira which was great but I had to fly from Glasgow. My question really is how far south do you have to go in December to find reasonably mild,dry weather? I can get flights to the Algarve,Tunisia,Turkey etc but they are still further north than Madeira and the Canaries.Like I said,I live in the north of Scotland,so anything over about 15c is a linings out job for me! :D
Dirk

Re: Winter Sun?

Post by Dirk »

I'm beginning to look for somewhere warmer now, never mind winter!!!

what a sh1te summer
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I know,I was planning on taking part in www.roundbritainrally.co.uk just to do the Scottish ones but I've only done a couple of day trips so far.My days of camping when there's snow forecast are long gone! :(
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Fly to Marrakesh, rent bike, head South.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Do a tour of South Africa.

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Redmurty wrote:Do a tour of South Africa.

cheers Spud ;)
I'm on a limited budget of about £1000. :(
vanman

Post by vanman »

I was near Malaga,Southern Spain last December and January, very pleasant weather, even had our Xmas lunch outside! I will be back there again this winter, WITH my Tiger this time, great roads and only an hour from Sierra Nevada mountains......
AndyB

Re: Re: Winter Sun?

Post by AndyB »

On a £1,000 budget you'll do a lot worse than the Canaries. I've hired bikes on both Gran Canaria and Tenerife and there's more to see on Gran Canaria if you look at the overall picture but there are nicer spots to ride on Tenerife.

It's still warm enough to ride around in a T shirt with a lightweight jacket over it in the daytime but you'd need something warmer once the sun has gone down.

Avoid the major holiday destinations if you're going during the school holidays because they'll be full of screaming kids and half pissed parents that think the aforementioned screaming kids are doing no harm and you'll go to jail for murder when you sneakily hold one under water until they stop struggling.

Up your budget a bit and you could go to Bermuda where there are no hire cars but loads of bikes available for hire. There's plenty to see and apart from the main port of Hamilton it's not crowded. We had a week there and went everywhere by water taxi or bus and it wasn't expensive but it depends on what you want from the holiday.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I'm thinking about Tenerife now.Bikes are a lot cheaper to hire there than it was in Madeira.I don't know if the scenery and the atmosphere of the place will be as good but I can fly there from Aberdeen which saves on overnight hotels and airport parking. (thumbs)
SteveR

Re: Re: Winter Sun?

Post by SteveR »

vanman wrote:I was near Malaga,Southern Spain last December and January, very pleasant weather, even had our Xmas lunch outside! I will be back there again this winter, WITH my Tiger this time, great roads and only an hour from Sierra Nevada mountains......
Funnily, my Sis is looking to buy a property in Ireland at the moment. If she buys in the West of Ireland, it would leave her enough for a place on S Spain for a Winter bolt hole, which would give a base in two of Europe's nicer areas for quiet roads....

I wonder if I have an ulterior motive when I am recommending the West....... :whistle:

Return to “TRAVEL”