Im crossing Switzerland next week on the E35 - do I need a vignette?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Wapping

Re: Im crossing Switzerland next week on the E35 - do I need a vignette?

Post by Wapping »

Andysr6 wrote:I have travelled across Switzerland several times, stayed off motorways and have never bought a Vignette
Which, whilst a fascinating inside into your riding habits in the land of Toblerone, is not much use as information to the OP, who wants to use a motorway, is it?

Two pages about a bloody vignette, how to avoid paying for one, how to get one off the screen (perhaps) whilst others leave them on as a badge of honour (maybe even from the previous owner of the bike). That's bikers for you.
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

It struck me that the best place to stick one, and then to resell it, would be to the (now redundant) perspex in the tax disc holder. They are (I think) fairly universal fittings and could easily be sold / swapped / traded between bikers

Tax disc holders can be bought on ebay for £1 these days.

Just a thought.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

If it ain't fixed in accordance with how the Swiss specify it ain't legal.
IF you get caught with it cellotaped to the screen, stuck in a ziploc bag wedged in the screen etc they'll fine you.
But the the chances of getting caught are slim, but that's the risk you take. I tend to wedge the ziploc up against the screen with a rag, then put the thing in my pocket at long stops & overnights.
As for re-selling them, I have no problem. But I have been busted twice (2012 & 1013) by eBay.uk for trying to resell mine online. Which is odd as any of the other European eBay site seem to allow reselling of vignettes
sid.

Post by sid. »

Can't see what all the fuss is about, in 2013 we just brought one before we left england, then it's done, for the sake of about £25 is it worth the worry if being pulled
Paul Neate

Post by Paul Neate »

sid. wrote:Can't see what all the fuss is about ... for the sake of about £25 is it worth the worry if being pulled
My feelings exactly -- about the price of one tank of fuel.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Expensive?
Come on guys, if you can't afford the 40 Euros should you going on the trip in the first place??

I've bought one on plenty of occasions and have always stuck it on myself. Bike, van, trailer......
KtmRy

Post by KtmRy »

So do you need one for riding anywhere in Switzerland or do you only need one for what they class as motorways? If you do not have one and do not intend going on any "motorways" yet are caught off the motorway do you still get fined?
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

It was approx 40 Euros, and I was in the country for approx 4 hours - that's the reason why I think it's expensive. Next door in Austria, you can pay for a week long vignette for (I think) 5 Euro, much more sensible.

The chances of me going back to Switzerland this year and using it again... zero.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
moto al

Post by moto al »

Dave DRZ wrote:It was approx 40 Euros, and I was in the country for approx 4 hours - that's the reason why I think it's expensive. Next door in Austria, you can pay for a week long vignette for (I think) 5 Euro, much more sensible.

The chances of me going back to Switzerland this year and using it again... zero.

Dave
Well said Switzerland ,I wouldn't go back .my prob I still own them 200sf for a speeding fine and that was about 12years ago. (thumbs) Al
moto al
david a hall

Post by david a hall »

Wapping wrote:
Andysr6 wrote:I have travelled across Switzerland several times, stayed off motorways and have never bought a Vignette
Which, whilst a fascinating inside into your riding habits in the land of Toblerone, is not much use as information to the OP, who wants to use a motorway, is it?

Two pages about a bloody vignette, how to avoid paying for one, how to get one off the screen (perhaps) whilst others leave them on as a badge of honour (maybe even from the previous owner of the bike). That's bikers for you.
Dick

Return to “TRAVEL”