Recommend a stove

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
VR_Rider

Recommend a stove

Post by VR_Rider »

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a camping stove? Off to Isle of Man and would like to be self sufficient! Thinking of going for a meth burner as a few friends have good words about them.

Thanks,

Dave
Big Red

Re: Recommend a stove

Post by Big Red »

Depending on how much you want to spend, you won't go wrong with an Msr whisperlite. As long as you have fuel in your bike you have fuel with you. Had mine a few years and never go camping without it.Use a drop of meths to pre heat it and it burns clean and hot as you want and with a bit of practice simmers well
davsato

Post by davsato »

i have several stoves including a trangia, the meths burner was ok but so slow i bought the gas burner and now its a rocket engine. also much cleaner and less fuss, but bigger packing with a propane can (you can get diddy ones though). you need to decide if youre going to be cooking raw stuff or heating tinned stuff, for cooking you may like the extra oomph. if youve never cooked at the tent before i would go for a cheap gaz type burner and a couple of cheap pans, to find out if diy beats the burgervan.
Dave
KTMBLAG

Post by KTMBLAG »

Msr whisperlite universal. As above your carrying the fuel already. With the universal you also have the option to connect gas. Super stable and top quality.
Meths control is great but it slow and crap if it's windy
Paul_XRV750

Post by Paul_XRV750 »

If you just want to make a brew or boil-in-the-bag grub, then Jetboil is good (thumbs)
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

You will get as many recommendations as there are stoves..

Decide your budget, what fuel, how much you want to 'cook' and do a search from there..
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

I took a chance on one of these:
http://www.dx.com/p/brs-8-multi-functio ... VJQTo5Viko

I've used it with both gas and petrol. It's more controllable on a low heat with gas, but obviously not as good when it's cold. With petrol it's a bit of a rocket engine. I wanted something that would also run on petrol without a huge price tag and at £35, I'm happy with it.
Just something to consider (thumbs)
...I just want to ride!
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

A stove debate :P

Dave if you're just planning on heating & making a brew I'd consider the alpkit brukit

I've been thinking about one......but I've been using the same trangia set up for over a decade now & not seen any reason to upgrade :dry:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
boatman

Post by boatman »

Paul C wrote:I took a chance on one of these:
http://www.dx.com/p/brs-8-multi-functio ... VJQTo5Viko

I've used it with both gas and petrol. It's more controllable on a low heat with gas, but obviously not as good when it's cold. With petrol it's a bit of a rocket engine. I wanted something that would also run on petrol without a huge price tag and at £35, I'm happy with it.
Just something to consider (thumbs)
Be aware !!!!!! I bought one of these cheapie stoves and thought I had won a watch , it seemed to work every bit as well as the expensive branded proven ones.
It did for the first season,, then on the second season I took it out the store to check it over and light it up before a camping trip. Got a stream of lit petrol about 3 feet long scooted out the side of it , seals had perished in one season of use
SCARY
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

boatman wrote:...
Be aware !!!!!! I bought one of these cheapie stoves and thought I had won a watch , it seemed to work every bit as well as the expensive branded proven ones.
It did for the first season,, then on the second season I took it out the store to check it over and light it up before a camping trip. Got a stream of lit petrol about 3 feet long scooted out the side of it , seals had perished in one season of use
SCARY
Absolutely. I don't say it'll last as well as a branded stove but I've used it for 3 years now and it has been trouble free. That's cursed it! :P
Just take care and check it over if it's been stored for a while. Applies to any stove, I guess.
...I just want to ride!

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”