950 adv head wobble

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Mike101

950 adv head wobble

Post by Mike101 »

Yes folks I know this is a common problem but what is your like and what have you done to fix it.

Mine give a violent bar shake when slowing down from 50 to 35..worst around 45mph.

I've just out new steering bearings in so everything is much smoother now making it a bit worse.

I'm not spending hundreds on a damper either.

I have the OEM tyres on which I know makes it worse.

All ideas welcome.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
steve172

Re: 950 adv head wobble

Post by steve172 »

Interesting thread, mine does the same.

I don't have a solution but will keep my eye on this thread.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Nothing on mine. Really smooth to be honest I have no play in headstock at all. Running a Karoo 2 on the front with a mefo rear. (thumbs)
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

Dial it out with suspension. Put more weight on the front by upping the preload. I have mine on sport setting plus a couple of clicks on the preload. It could be your tyres wearing etc
There is a septic tank (Yank) on YouTube that reckons it could be the rim tape out of place causing the front tyre not seating properly.
Come to think of it, mine shook it's head when I had my panniers on, so kicked myself for not adjusting the suspension before I set off. It then did it afterwards so I then dialled it out. Been set the same for years no probs. I just make sure I write down how much I alter the settings if going away etc.
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

Both my 990 Adventures did this, both when new or nearly new.

I had a fiddle with the settings but it made little difference. Only a brave man would take both his hands off the bars at those speeds! Of course, if you never did that it would not be an issues but how else can you text and check your satnav at the same time?

Jon
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Set the sag correctly first of all. If the bike is not level either nose heavy or rear heavy it will do this, not just if it's on its arse.

check the fork alignment

check the front wheel is installed correctly ie are the forks binding

what tyre pressures are you running? if a lot below norm then up them obviously.

does it do it under braking only? if so check caliper and pads, do the pistons move ok

if all the above is ok, next step would be to change front tyre for something else
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

I've never noticed this on mine
ktm Jules

Post by ktm Jules »

Never had a problem on mine either. check tyre pressures and firm up suspension.
Mines always on sports settings even when i green lane.
Its trial n error as every ones riding style is different.
A steering damper can actually make the problem worse if not fitted and adjusted correctly.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

this is the "septic" refrred to above. Happens to be the well respected jeff slaven.

the bike cant be on original tyres never taken off but check it out anyway and take a look at the wheel and rim strip
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

Oops :whistle: just throwing up solutions Mike that's all.
Checked mine at the time all was fine BTW.

Return to “TECHNICAL”