Gibralter, customs

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
mechanic

Gibralter, customs

Post by mechanic »

Hi there, heading south through spain start of next month, heading towards Cadiz. Would like a day or maybe 2 in gibralter, anyone know up to date info with regards to customs at the boarder. Have heard there can be big delays? Which days, times of day best? Avoid weekends?? Anyone have recent experience? Cheers Nige.
steve172

Re: Gibralter, customs

Post by steve172 »

I went to Gibralter once, the queue was long, very long. Then it we found out my mate had forgotten his passport.

Can't remember the specifics of time or day, was 2010.
Jersey87

Post by Jersey87 »

Hi

Went into Gibraltar last September for a couple of hours for a look around.

There was indeed a very long queue of traffic which, coupled with 35C heat, was a right PITA.

After stop-starting in the queue for about half an hour and getting very hot and bothered, a local woman further back got out of her car and informed me that there was a separate entrance for motorbikes! I'd noticed a load of scooters whizzing past the traffic but had assumed that they were cutting in further up the queue - with full panniers on I didn't see that as much of an option for me.

Once told of the other entrance however I did as the locals and squeezed my way to the front where the line splits for cars and motorbikes/scooter/bicycles and got through with barely a glance at my passport = much happier me.

Getting out again there is a similar system, however the bikes are funneled between two rows of cones/barriers which I only just got between with the panniers so might be a tight squeeze depending on your set-up.

Cheers
Dan
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Been in and out a few times, on foot, bike and car, but not in the last couple of years. Not too bad getting in, but as others have said, a real pain in the arse getting out. Can take anything from 10 minutes to a couple of hours to get out, and in the heat with no shade, not pleasant. No rhyme or reason as to these delays other than the Spanish customs officers on duty at the time. Been there, done it. Won't be going back. Cheap fuel though.
Lolo

Post by Lolo »

Was there last Aug on the way back from Morocco, more or less rode in mid morning. All you need is your passport. The worst thing I found was how packed it was and no where to park up without riding around. Had planned on stopping for a night but I decided I hated the noise and bustle.
Mawnanian

Post by Mawnanian »

I think the situation changes with the political climate between the UK and Spain. I was last there in July 2012 and got straight in and straight out, no passport check going out. Also no problem finding parking for two bikes. Don't try getting too close to the centre, it's not a big place and the walk will do you good.
itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Hi,
been there a few times now, think most has been covered here. Use the bike only lane, push, the locals will. Be careful of the scooters they dont care much for panniers. Crossing the Airport runway makes you look twice, as stated stay away from the center for parking, The Bristol Hotel normally lets us park up for a while, then wonder into casemates. Thats the centre, all pubs and cafés utilizing the old ammunition stores around the main square. Great Naval feel.

Bristol hotel is probably a 3 star, has its own pool. Its dear though, think we paid £90 a night.
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

I was there recently and it's really not worth going over with the bike for a day, it really isn't.

Park in the massive parking section outside the border.

Walk over, wave passport, then get the bus in to the centre.

Problem solved. (thumbs)

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

Bernard Smith wrote:I was there recently and it's really not worth going over with the bike for a day, it really isn't.

Park in the massive parking section outside the border.

Walk over, wave passport, then get the bus in to the centre.

Problem solved. (thumbs)
with bernard on this one, if you take the bike don't queue at customs just ride straight to the front esp if they are going off on one. just be careful if you park the bike on the spanish side as we are not their fav nation around them parts.

apart from that nice for the first visit but then its much the same

steve
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I rode there last September. The queue to get into Gib was mahoosive :ohmy: . As others have said, it's not worth taking the bike in but if you do there is a separate bike lane so don't queue up behind the cars. A few hours there and a tour of the 'rock' was enough for me. Other than that it was like Croydon...but in the sun...and by the sea!

Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone

Return to “TRAVEL”