Ignorant Riders....

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
xengibez

Re: Ignorant Riders....

Post by xengibez »

I always nod at the L plate riders as I feel it makes them feel part of something, and they always nod back enthusiastically... Well BMW and HD don't make 125s I guess... ;-)
Wapping

Post by Wapping »

I employ someone to nod and wave on my behalf. You'll have seen them.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

When I climbed on my SS50 sports moped at 16 years 7hours old it was the biggest day of my life.
The world opened up, my friends had them too and we rode around together, I met new friends from neighbouring towns. That kind of life changing event kinda stays with you and you feel a bond with fellow bikers.
That's why I nod or wave.
May be if I'd never had any interest or inclination to get into bikes as soon as I could it wouldn't be the same.
May be a bike for some riders is just their latest fad.
They've got a company car, the wife has a decent job, the kids are pretty independent they don't want to do stuff with us at weekend, they just hang out in their bedrooms and FaceTime their friends.
They've tried fast cars, jet skis, Golf, clay pigeon shooting, fishing.....hey my cousin's got a Fire Blade! He looks cool in those one piece leathers! I can do a week intensive course and get a licence!
Suddenly you're riding a motorbike!
May be after 5-6 years, you'll get it, you'll understand why we nod, then may be you'll progress from being a motorcycle rider into being a biker.
So ladies and gents they're not all ignorant, some are, some are just on a learning curve.
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

I don't see myself as a BMW rider. It just happens that mine is the bike that suits me best.
It's turned into a sort of KTM as it seems the BMW and the KTM riders are in opposite camps. :lol:
Sometimes I'll wave, sometimes I don't.
When I'm in the car I'm not waving to every other car driver either. In fact, I'm not waving to any car drivers unless I know them.
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Mac 60 wrote:I nodded at a motorcycle cop today on the frocess rd just outside Ballymena. It was just an instintive nod before i even realised id done it. Couldent help smileing when he gave me a big nod back. (thumbs)
Same thing happened to me last weekend (thumbs)
I often get back from a bike ride then get my mountain bike out and go for a ride. I end up nodding to motorcyclists who look at me daft.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

I'm a BMW rider and don't feel inclined to nod, in UK................as it's a bit limp

I'm never sure if they've one over a bump and it's an involuntary nod, caused by a pothole

Nodding is the limpest form of biker acknowledgement

In France/Germany/Spain though, i find the bikers more inclined to give a proper wave, so wave back
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

How about for the next few weeks we all start giving a wave, see if it catches on (thumbs)
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

What really bugs me is when I see a GS coming towards me and prepare myself to 'blank' him (because he's sure to blank me!) and right at thee last minute he gives a big, cheery wave and its now too late to respond. :angry:

Inconsiderate is what I call it. ;) :laugh:
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

-Ralph- wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:I'm a BMW rider and don't feel inclined to nod, in UK................as it's a bit limp

I'm never sure if they've one over a bump and it's an involuntary nod, caused by a pothole

Nodding is the limpest form of biker acknowledgement

In France/Germany/Spain though, i find the bikers more inclined to give a proper wave, so wave back
They drive on the other side of the road, so the hand nearest the oncoming biker is the free clutch hand, ours it's the busy throttle hand, that's why they wave towards the left and we nod towards the right.

D'oh.............you don't say

With money we don't have

johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Dazzer wrote:How about for the next few weeks we all start giving a wave, see if it catches on (thumbs)
I always wave now, fazes the feck out of the other UK bikers

They don't know what the feck to do - makes me laugh :P (see Jackdaw's reply)

With money we don't have

Return to “THE PUB”