Is my clutch knackered?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
BABY V

Is my clutch knackered?

Post by BABY V »

Hi folks looking for a bit of help. I have a wee Yamaha xj600n ( yes it's not an adventure) and it's been lying up for a few months. Getting ready to be put back on the road I noticed that when on center stand and put in gear with clutch in the wheel will spin? I have put on a new clutch cable and still have the problem. If both wheels are on the ground and gear is engaged the bike will lurch forward and stall. I have a limited mechanical knowledge but have a hynes so would be willing to try.
Thanks in advance

Paul
zimtim

Re: Is my clutch knackered?

Post by zimtim »

Lots of bikes do this in that the wheel will turn when on the centre stand.

You say the bike has been stood for a while. Have done a full oil change, and then let the bike run up to temp before trying it again, you may just need to get fresh oil circulating around the clutch plates.

When you changed cable did you put it back in correctly. The clutch arm at top of the clutch needs to be correctly aligned there are are some marks.

Doesn't matter what you ride. Its how and where you ride that matters.
(thumbs) (thumbs)
KTMBLAG

Post by KTMBLAG »

If it was ok when you put it away there's a chance the clutch plates have stuck together. If it was mine I'd put it in neutral start it give it a little rev and knock it in to gear. Done this on a few bikes with success, I did have to strip the clutch and prise the plates apart once
BABY V

Post by BABY V »

The bike has been off the road since the end of January and all was working before being stood up. It will engage in all gears but when both wheels are grounded and first gear is selected it just stalls. I have tried engaging first gear with engine off and rocking the bike to see if that releases it but with no luck
KTMBLAG

Post by KTMBLAG »

Put the wheels on the ground sit on it engine running bit of revs then knock it into gear. Might take a few times but usually works
BABY V

Post by BABY V »

Cheers guys that's it fixed, put wheels on ground and rocked it back and forth in gear with engine off and after a while it came free, *note to myself I must ride it more lol

Thanks once again

Cheers Paul

Return to “TECHNICAL”