Classic cars

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Will

Classic cars

Post by Will »

Anyone run a classic car ? What have you got ?? any tips thinking of getting one (thumbs)
Bsa A10
scubabiker

Re: Classic cars

Post by scubabiker »

i have grown up around classic cars, my dad used to do a bit of wheeling and dealing so to speak. i think old VWs are a great investment, and they can be used as daily drivers without worrying about breakdowns.
ive got a 95 camaro (was my fathers til he died) which some people consider a classic from its age, its new to me, anything with injection and airbags is waaaay beyond my knowledge! (i need to clean and rebuild the distributer on the camaro, but i think its a sealed unit and it about 4 hours work to get it off!)
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Posted before but any excuse. 1989 Rally Golf G60

Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
D16PJM

Post by D16PJM »

I have a V8 rover P6, insurance is £79 for the year including breaking, tax free, and should only go up in value.

Will

Post by Will »

The Rover p6 looks good that's more the sort of thing I'm looking for , Cars I'm after bit more info on are volvo p1800 and scimitar GTE my uncle had a new one when was teenager and I thought it was the dogs b&@&ks ,
My Dad had a Vauxhall Ventura as well but I would think these all have rotted away by now
Bsa A10
D16PJM

Post by D16PJM »

I have had a scimitar, mainly ford running gear, the one to go for is manual overdrive, se5 seems more sort after but SE6 just as good in my opinion.

this website is full of info on relients.
http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/

Will

Post by Will »

D16PJM wrote:I have had a scimitar, mainly ford running gear, the one to go for is manual overdrive, se5 seems more sort after but SE6 just as good in my opinion.

this website is full of info on relients.
http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/

Was that yours in pic , my uncles was a 1971 3.0 v6 Essex weren't the later ones 2.8 i.
Will (thumbs)
Bsa A10
D16PJM

Post by D16PJM »

That's my old one in the picture, after 84 they had the 2.8, before that was the 3.0l Essex, newer ones had a galvanised chassis but I think the early ones are just as good, mine was a 77, you need to check out riggers where the chassis bolts to the body and look for ill fitting doors as it could mean rust, gel coat on body can be a costly repair, I paid £950 for the one above and after a bit of work sold it for £2200.
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

Not sure it counts, but my Land Rover is a 1968 Series 2A. Not much of a looker, but it's reliable, and I used to commute in it for many years (just tried hard not to think of the fuel consumption). The zero tax is always a sweetener!
I'd always wanted a Land Rover, but I was also swayed by the fact that more or less every part is still available.. either new (old) stock or replica. And it's straightforward engineering - no computers, injection, ABS.. just stuff that Ican fix with a hammer, screwdriver, and/or a couple of spanners. A bit like the Transalp, really ;)
dazcapri

Post by dazcapri »

Have a look at the Volvo forum for more on the P1800

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Return to “THE PUB”