New girl from Leamington!!

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
alicia

Re: New girl from Leamington!!

Post by alicia »

Blimey! What a response!

Thanks for making me feel so welcome guys and gals, you seem like a really nice group of people! Looking for to meeting you in the future, if you notice my bike come and say hi :P
Sopwith Camel

Post by Sopwith Camel »

Bonjour and welcome.....:)
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

Just thought I'd be polite and say hello to the recent joiners and find 6 pages of hellos and chat.
weird when I posted my profile pic no one said hello

And the hello

For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

rlkat

Post by rlkat »

snaphappy wrote:Just thought I'd be polite and say hello to the recent joiners and find 6 pages of hellos and chat.
weird when I posted my profile pic no one said hello

And the hello

Just lose the glasses. You'll be fine!! ;)

rob
I've no idea how to add a signature.
alicia

Post by alicia »

Mr Toad wrote:I can't support the idea of doing the IAM stuff enough. If people are none Police advanced riders or drivers the IAM is the easiest and cheapest way I know of picking up the thought processes and positioning on the road that will keep you as safe (as is feasible) :) Lots of grey hair, beards and BM's but by and large they are good well meaning people. It's a shame you aren't near Sheffield because the SAM group is excellent (Sheffield Advanced Motorcyclists) Catchy name !!! But I'm sure your local group will be good and it's not that much cash for what they give you. The money is for registration, membership of the IAM, test fee (included in reg' fee) and then paying for the fuel and refreshment for your observer.

However 'Lizzie' and I have spent a lot of time with this guy.
www.i2imca.com
I know that it's a long way to travel but the Machine Control courses 1 and 3 give general road riders, knowledge, the beginnings of skills and experiences for real road riding second to none. For example it cut my wet road braking down by half as a new rider. The other stuff that he/they teach you cannot be matched in my humble opinion.
If you are interested and want a 'ladies' view PM "Lizzie'. She's in Bristol tonight, back tomorrow but she will let you know what she thinks if you want to have a chat.
Cheers Steve
Thanks Steve! (sorry for the late reply) I'll speak to 'Lizzie' before I go and book anything, it'll be nice to hear how she benefitted from the training.
alicia

Post by alicia »

gs-ell wrote:I've just booked with that fella & me mate.
I'm doing a tour to portugal, mostly an off road trip, & the only guy that'll come with me has never been off road!
So we booked a day out with these lot, at least i'll learn how to powerslide properly!!

Anyone wishing to join us - on either trip - is more than welcome!

Elliott
I'm looking forward to seeing your photos of your trip, I'm jealous! And you'll have to let me know how you got on with your powersliding!
alicia

Post by alicia »

Nicoli wrote:To be honest I don't know what I'm going to get.

Originally I was after an off road type bike but as most of the touring I will be doing will realistically be on road I am leaning more and more towards a street bike, just for the flash really :P
Yeah that's why I got a street bike as I do a lot of commuting. But riding on the roads still puts a smile on your face! I love it! (soz for the late reply)
alicia

Post by alicia »

Nigel wrote:Must be the only male biker who hasn`t posted yet so thought I`d better start!

I did some training with Norfolk plod a couple of years ago and it was the best thing I have ever done, two class room sessions and a 5 hour ride with plod and then I did a one & half hour one to one assement test. To say I was nervous being followed by an experienced police rider is an understatment! but after a while you really enjoy it.

I was told (some may disagree) that ROSPA is better than IAM, a ROSPA gold award is supposed to be the highest standard a civilian rider can achieve and I think you have to redo it every 3 years, whereas the IAM is for life?
Whatever training you do it`s worthwhile.

As for knee down did it once for effect but on the road it`s a waste of time, you don`t see coppers do it and believe me they can shift.

P.S glad not all nurses think bikers are nutters, spread the word!
Hey! Soz for the late reply.

I've checked out the ROSPA website after reading your message and it sounds perfect. I reckon I'll be nervous too following an ex-police rider, I'll be watching my speedo all the time! Looking forward to seeing what they can teach me though, and I'm gonna go for the gold!! Wonder if I'll get it??? Thanks for your advice.

I know a fair few nurses who own bikes, and I'm trying to recruit more! And my sister wants one, wooooo!
Filagen

Post by Filagen »

Hi Alicia, I am sure you will have a great time doing bike stuff. Here's a good one if you want a nice ride out. Leamington to Aberystwyth, On the sea front for tea and cake. Aberystrwyth to Caerrnarfon tea at the seaside or by the castle. Caernarfon to Chester, tea (and pee) at the castle, back to Quatt Bike cafe (Kidderminsterish, Tea and cake, On to home. About 400 milesish, nice one this time of year. Or down the Abergavenny bus station, which is a bike meet place. Have a look at the Transalp or the TDM900.
Filagen
alicia

Post by alicia »

Jammin wrote:Hang on, i haven't posted yet either....

Welcome to the Merry Land of ABR, it's great !!!

Us at the South Mids Chapter arrange a few Sunday morning ride outs with a spot of breakie so you'll have to come along & join in the fun. We've started meeting at Glebe Farm on the Fosse, not too far from Lighthorne.
Hope you can make it sometime.
Hellloo! Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks very much! I was gutted I couldn't make it out last Sunday. Was it a good morning?

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”