Licence requirements in Europe

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
dusz

Licence requirements in Europe

Post by dusz »

I currently have a paper only licence. However, someone on another forum says he is changing his paper only licence to a photo licence as it is a requirement for travel in Europe. I have looked on the DVLA and AA sites and can only find reference to requiring a valid UK licence. On another site they say -

http://www.aboutdrivingabroad.co.uk/you ... broad.html
"In most cases when travelling abroad, it’s advisable to ensure that you have a pink plastic licence with you. You should also carry with you the green paper part of the licence as this will outline any convictions you have. If you only have a green paper licence, consider upgrading to a plastic photo licence as it’s also a great form of identification."

As I said I only have a paper licence and have no intention of changing it. As regards ID, my paper licence is with my Passport which is on me at all times, so that's my ID sorted - infact I carry my passport and licence with me even in the UK in my lap top bag.

So, am I OK to carry on using just my paper only licence in Europe or do I have to change to a photo one? Can anyone help?
strimstrum

Re: Licence requirements in Europe

Post by strimstrum »

You are perfectly OK to travel in the EU with a valid EU licence - does not have to be a photo licence. If you want to carry something with a picture you can apply in person for an international driving permit which they issue over the Post Office counter-you will need some form of id and both parts of your licence.

If you have a valid uk passport you can apply online to have your existing paper licence issued as a photo licence - they lift the picture from your passport records so you don't even have to leave your house to get one issued just click here for the link
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

Was there not a load of annoyance with UK card licences being date restricted and needing renewal after 10 years or so....................at cost

I have HGV and PSV and have to fork out loads every five years
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I have a paper one that I will be taking to France on Friday. cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
davsato

Post by davsato »

paper one is fine, its a valid UK license as required.
hold off getting a euro pic license as long as you can, for the reasons above (costs to get, costs to renew every ten yrs, and the chances of them cocking up the renewal are fair. and the costs will only go up in the future)

i had to have one when i got my bike added, i have never been asked for the picture card, they will always want to see both parts so what is the point of it?
Dave
Bushman_uk

Post by Bushman_uk »

Having ridden around Europe for many years with strimstrum, only been stopped once by the police (in Spain) wasn't interested in any driving licence , just the passport. Untill last year i have always used a paper licence and the only reason for change was personnal preference, so you're good to go !!

Just check your insurance is valid for the period you require as they can put, some weird restrictions in, but usually theyare ok
Norm De Plume

Post by Norm De Plume »

It sounds like a load of FUD to me (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) - I had to change my old European Community paper licence recently when I moved house, but the old green/pink paper copy is here in front of me and it states that it is valid until 2037.

TBH, this just sounds like the sort of advice that you get from website authors who know what the current situation is but avoid talking about older stuff because they are only now facing puberty and anyone older than 30 is walking dead.
sidestand

Post by sidestand »

I just got one of the new 2 part licences online using my passport reference.
Remarkably easy & quick turnaround, cost £20.
The only reason I changed was my old paper one was in about 4 pieces.
You're supposed to cut yor old one up & send it to DVLA when you apply for the new one.

I must admit, I 'forgot' to do that in case they 'forgot' any of my entitlements - but it all came through correctly B)
Moomin Maiden

Post by Moomin Maiden »

sidestand wrote:I just got one of the new 2 part licences online using my passport reference.
Remarkably easy & quick turnaround, cost £20.
The only reason I changed was my old paper one was in about 4 pieces.
You're supposed to cut yor old one up & send it to DVLA when you apply for the new one.

I must admit, I 'forgot' to do that in case they 'forgot' any of my entitlements - but it all came through correctly B)

yep, just done mine, sent the application form by Royal Mail recorded delivery, DVLA sent it back before it was even registered by RM as delivered! Odd for DVLA to be more efficient than Royal Mail :blink:

Yes, all my entitlements were on it (bike thank goodness) but they even remembered to keep my SP30 on. Shame they didn't 'forget' about that one!

I kept the old one, it means that I have a spare to use for ID purposes, like my old passport. Good for taking out when drinking in town. Not that I really get ID'd anymore :evil:

Return to “TRAVEL”