20 May - Friday Green Lane Fun - AARSP

Where you've been and what you done
mahoosiv

20 May - Friday Green Lane Fun - AARSP

Post by mahoosiv »

Just in case no-one gets that title... "Alun's Advance Rearguard Scouting Party" - Our mission to boldy go where loads of people have gone before, and have a laugh doing it...

Advance notice: During the video footage it would appear I am having an intense conversation with myself - fear not viewers - insanity has not sunk in that far (yet) - simply us chatting over the bike to bike system.

So Friday comes around again and our weekly date with the green lanes of Warwickshire and locality is upon us, today we don't have a lot of time so we choose a few lanes local to our Stratford HQ and set out (via Costa Coffee for cappuccino's and latte - we are soooo sophisticated around here!) to the first starting point just outside Newnham.

Nice little lane this - apart from the rutted bit which almost threw Ben off, unfortunately he stayed on so no funny footage (damn).

We passed a couple of horses and made sure to slow down and act like grown ups (hard hard) and received pleasant nods in return and exited the lane in Aston Cantlow.

We bottled the ford outside Aston Cantlow and after digging Steves bike out of the loose gravel we traveled on to lane 2.

On to lane 2 at Great Alne which was another easy peasy lane through very pretty hedges and loads of low hanging tree branches.

Short fag break for the addicts and then over a small road and on thru to lane 3 towards Alcester with some again easy tracks which suited the big GS perfectly.

Evidence of hooligans playing off the track was evident on part of the lane.

The next mission was to break our fording cherry and so to Coughton Ford we went - and played at boats (no pun intended) for a few minutes.

And finally the Titanic crossing...

Playtime over, we took lane 4 - our most challenging lane yet (Coughton - New End) - loads of big stones and rocks made the bike buck around a bit giving us an easy transition to learning how to work with the bike rather than against it.

One little muddy bit saw Ben almost off again - but he saved it with some leg waving :)

Once we had finished that lane it was on to lane 5 at Walcote which was a very nice ending to the day as the lane was a nice mixture of earth & gravelly track.

The gatekeeper didn't charge!

Finally winding up on the Alcester road via our final obstacle course...

Another fab friday frenzy on the local lanes, Alun.. look what you started!

Videos to follow.
Alun

Re: 20 May - Friday Green Lane Fun - AARSP

Post by Alun »

Great stuff mate, good to see you all getting out and about and using those bikes as they should be. I'll join you for a Mad Friday when I get back from Germany, I've an eye on a few long lanes down Oxford way.
mahoosiv

Post by mahoosiv »

The videos are uploading and I should have all 5 ready by the morning.

Very pleased with the quality of the VIO POV HD, sorted out a couple of annoying things with it and its mint.
mahoosiv

Post by mahoosiv »

Thanks to Steve for the names of the waypoints - all duly updated.
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

That looks great fun.
Warwickshire lanes are lovely :)
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

Great report and pictures. Looks like you had a brilliant time!
mahoosiv

Videos!

Post by mahoosiv »

Ok heres the videos, for some reason my YouTube foo was weak and they got uploaded a bit out of order.

So without further ado - I present:

Oh and be warned there may be some instances of the 'F' word due to excitement - and of course my inane burbling over the bike to bike comms.

[ul]
[li]Lane 1 - [video][/video][/li]
[li]Lane 2 - [video][/video][/li]
[li]Lane 3 - [video][/video][/li]
[li]Lane 4 - [video][/video][/li]
[li]Lane 5 - [video][/video][/li]
[/ul]
The Wilbur

Re: Videos!

Post by The Wilbur »

Those lanes look well used, just surprised that you didn't see any other traffic.

Jealous I am :P
SUCK : SQUEEZE : BANG : BLOW

www.f650.co.uk
mahoosiv

Post by mahoosiv »

The Wilbur wrote:Those lanes look well used, just surprised that you didn't see any other traffic.

Jealous I am :P
We put that down to its being a Friday and not a peak time of the week.

In fact we have not yet met anyone else on our travels on the lanes on a bike (or other form of automotive transport) so far.

We decided about 3 weeks ago that it was a waste having these bikes and not using them, so after some prompting from a certain magazine editor who works about a mile from us we took the bull by the horns and committed to a Friday ride each week.
Jammin

Post by Jammin »

Great report Oo. Just for the record, I was always in total control of the bike, thought I'd spice it up a bit for the vid!!

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”