Pocket Stoves

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
pinball1008

Pocket Stoves

Post by pinball1008 »

I pick up the idea of a pocket stove from the Camping Addicts thread. Also I'm keen not to always fall into the group of question asker who never follow any advice. This I certainly did regarding my tent.
So, what I want is a tiny stove (solid fuel) that will boil enough water for a decent cup of coffee to either drink or fill my small flask (350ml)
The ones I've considered so far are the Esbit Cook Stove set, as it is complete with something to boil water in, around £24. The Pocket Stove, £22 but I need something to put on top. Finally the Esbit Cooker Burner about £5.00, again I need something to go on top.
What's the recommendation out of the 3 and what to go for, for boiling the water in?
Not all those wandering are lost
Brenhden

Re: Pocket Stoves

Post by Brenhden »

http://www.biggrassfield.com/index.aspx ... tAodfyAAxA

This looks great and is a bit lighter than my mini trangia.

The question is, weight for weight does solid fuel provide more heat than meths?

I could easyily ditch the burner from my mini trangia and take a box of fuel tablets in stead, the other advantage is you could use twigs when available...

I think I may have to get some blocks and investigate this further...
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
JimboF650

Post by JimboF650 »

Hi have a Esbit 585ml cookset - used it for a weeks camping in France, but also had a Trangia burner - so could have two stoves on the go (you need 1.5 fuel blocks to boil 500ml of water!

I'd say that 985ml set would be ideal - everything packs into the pot. You'd use 2-3 fuel blocks each time. Get yourself a Trivet for the meths burner, and you've got two stoves you can use at the same time.

CE-CS985HA-Z.jpg
CE-CS985HA-Z.jpg (27.45 KiB) Viewed 1560 times
ENTrivet11.jpg
ENTrivet11.jpg (81.71 KiB) Viewed 1560 times
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

They're 2 options I hadn't seen, thanks. 1 1/2 blocks for 500 ml? Well that's a small cup of coffee and my flask filled (thumbs) Has anyone used the little esbit flip open stove with something on top. Video here showing water getting hot enough from one block. I'm never going to cook, just boil a little water.
Not all those wandering are lost
JimboF650

Post by JimboF650 »

All these stoves are generally a fair bit slower than using gas/petrol. But work fine if you're not in a hurry. I found the Esbit was faster than the meths burner (but I wasn't using the full trangia windshield).
lmg

Post by lmg »

pinball1008 wrote:They're 2 options I hadn't seen, thanks.
1 1/2 blocks for 500 ml? Well that's a small cup of coffee and my flask filled (thumbs)
Has anyone used the little esbit flip open stove with something on top. Video here showing water getting hot enough from one block.
I'm never going to cook, just boil a little water.
Like my old army hex stoves. Pocket(ish) size. Always keep one in the panniers on a trip as a backup source of cooking.
Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/cooke ... RB106.html

The attached cooker does both meths and fuel tabs and is very light. Not too pricey either. I haven't used one though but reviews I have read say it is quite good.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/cooke ... RA101.html

One for the true minimalist and even cheaper.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

I've just ordered a Pocket Stove, as soon as it comes, I'll put a picture up of it.
The reason I wanted one was that I've been using a Wood Gas Stove from Wild Stoves but with a Trangia burner in the top (you turn the main burn tray upside down to get the flame as the right height). The other day, I thought I'd use a hexi stove but this ended up using too many blocks to boil some water water in my Crusader cup. The Wood Gas stove is fine but out walking it could be a bit lighter.
So I've ordered the pocket stove for when I'm out walking.
Here's a picture taken today while out in the New Forest. You can see the Wood Gas stove and Crusader cup in the back ground.
Cheers
Mark
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

pinball1008 wrote:I'm never going to cook, just boil a little water.
Be careful on that one - it' always useful for have at least something to heat up and cook - I always carry a microwave pack or risotto, etc. a quarter the price of 'special' camping meals, the package is almost indestructible (I squeeze them down the side of my full panniers) and to heat you just need a spoonful of extra water as they're not dehydrated as such. And . . . the camp cooking bug has a tendency to bite :whistle:
dubber68 wrote:http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/cooke ... RB106.html

The attached cooker does both meths and fuel tabs and is very light. Not too pricey either. I haven't used one though but reviews I have read say it is quite good.
This one looks fantastic - although I'd go for the lighter version as my question is 'Where do you get the solid fuel tablets, whereas meths you can get just about anywhere?'

My only problem? How can I justify a fourth ultralite stove . . .

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”