Recommend me a Portable External Battery Charger

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Kinioo

Recommend me a Portable External Battery Charger

Post by Kinioo »

Morning All,

I am after a portable external battery charger(s) for emergencies to charge our phones etc.

Need to be fairly small as we will be doing some backpacking etc.

What would you recommend here ??

Are they all rechargeable or they can be powered by i.e. AA batteries etc ??

Thanks,

Chris
legoman

Re: Recommend me a Portable External Battery Charger

Post by legoman »

power monkey
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I use an Anker battery pack and they're pretty good. They can be charged off the mains or a cigarette lighter type power outlet via a usb lead so I shove it in my tankbag and charge off the bike as I go when I'm away.

The model I've got will give 4 full charges to an iPhone so unless you're caning the phone battery that should get you through close to a week.
Wapping

Post by Wapping »

Some can be recharged via the mains, some have AA batteries. In effect the external mains / USB charged chargers are heavier, whilst the AA battery ones are obviously lighter.

The truth is, if you can recharge the charger via the mains, you could probably have recharged your phone / ipad or whatever simply by taking a mains adapter. Even backpacking, most places have electricity of some sort which you can plug into.

You could do worse than typing 'portable ipdad phone charger' into Google and seeing the many reviews that pop-up. They can't all be wrong, biased or lacking 'personal recommendation' surely?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=porta ... gws_rd=ssl

I have two, one small and the other larger. Which is 'better' is very much up to me to decide, most often depending on what I want to use them for. The larger one is great if I want lots of power and maybe charge three devices at once; the smaller one less so but it will fit in my pocket.

PS One tip. Check that your device(s) charge BEFORE you set off. Some are sensitive as to the 'quality' of the juice flowing into them. Similarly, if usung a dual or tripple port charger, make sure that all three devices will charge at once; some won't. A fully charged charger that will not charge your phone or ipad is called a brick.
Kinioo

Post by Kinioo »

AndyB wrote:I use an Anker battery pack and they're pretty good. They can be charged off the mains or a cigarette lighter type power outlet via a usb lead so I shove it in my tankbag and charge off the bike as I go when I'm away.

The model I've got will give 4 full charges to an iPhone so unless you're caning the phone battery that should get you through close to a week.
Which one have you got Andy ?? As I have found few different models...i.e.

Kinioo

Post by Kinioo »

Wapping wrote:Some can be recharged via the mains, some have AA batteries. In effect the external mains / USB charged chargers are heavier, whilst the AA battery ones are obviously lighter.

The truth is, if you can recharge the charger via the mains, you could probably have recharged your phone / ipad or whatever simply by taking a mains adapter. Even backpacking, most places have electricity of some sort which you can plug into.

You could do worse than typing 'portable ipdad phone charger' into Google and seeing the many reviews that pop-up. They can't all be wrong, biased or lacking 'personal recommendation' surely?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=porta ... gws_rd=ssl

I have two, one small and the other larger. Which is 'better' is very much up to me to decide, most often depending on what I want to use them for. The larger one is great if I want lots of power and maybe charge three devices at once; the smaller one less so but it will fit in my pocket.

PS One tip. Check that your device(s) charge BEFORE you set off. Some are sensitive as to the 'quality' of the juice flowing into them. Similarly, if usung a dual or tripple port charger, make sure that all three devices will charge at once; some won't. A fully charged charger that will not charge your phone or ipad is called a brick.
Few good points here - cheers!!
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

My one is an older model but if I was buying now I'd buy the 2nd generation one shown in the link.

They can be left in a state of partial discharge with no problems and another handy feature on the one I've got is that it's got a pretty good torch built in though what that does to the charge I don't know.
JimboF650

Post by JimboF650 »

I've got one of these

http://www.red5.co.uk/ultra-power-bank-5200.aspx

very happy with it.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I got a decent power bank [50,000ma] and it will charge the phone quite a number of times. The upside is I have a tiny USB LED light on a short flexi lead [Ikea] which plugs into it and runs forever so I don't need a torch for the tent. So far I have found its good for a week charging phone every day. I am wiring a USB point on the bike to charge it on the move so that whenever I get somewhere I am not looking for mains power. Main reason is that camping for a weekend or a few days I didn't want to be bothered looking for mains power or hanging around somewhere so no one nicked my phone while it was charging. Some of them will run or charge an iPad iPod and others too, if that's what you want. Some also come with solar panels but that's not for backpacking.

I also got a tiny one supposedly for charging a phone, just to try it out. It was too small, but its got solar cells on one side and stored cell side up it stays charged. Its got a single LED light beam and about the size of a credit card. Maplin and it cost me €3 so its a good buy too.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Monster

Post by Monster »

Look up Tecknet on Amazon
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”