Suitable backpack

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Far canal

Suitable backpack

Post by Far canal »

So in February I'm off to Northern Thailand for a couple of weeks, travelling around on a hire bike. Starting off in Chiang Mai and then touring towards the West & the Burmese (sorry Myanmar) border.

I'll be living out of a backpack for those two weeks, taking pot luck in BnB's and guest houses. so I need a suitable backpack to take the (very few) clothes I'll be needing, plus laptop and all the other electronic stuff & leads we seem to need nowadays. I don't want to be too weighed down, and it's pretty warm there in February & March.

The difficulty is that, at the end of March, I'm going to Cambodia to do a week of offroading riding, starting at Siem Reap. It'll be 4 nights so not too much stuff needed (maybe one pair of keks) but I definitely do not need a large pack on my back. When I did it last year I borrowed a Camelbak, but that's not gonna be big enough for the Thailand trip.

I've looked at the Kreiga R20, only online - not in the flesh. It looks large enough and seems to be able to shrink down for the shorter trip.

I only want to by one so if anyone has used the Kreiga, or has another suggestion, I'd like to hear.
Mike54

Re: Suitable backpack

Post by Mike54 »

R25 rather than R20.
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Have you thought of a roll bag rather than rucksack? You can usually bungee one on the rack or across the seat.

Slightly off topic, but do you know this site?

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... 0863c078d5

Loads of information. Forum has up to date information, RR and routes. They also produce the best maps of the area (Mai Hon Son loop/Northern Thailand)

Have a great time and tell us about it when you get back.
Far canal

Post by Far canal »

Yup, I have been a few times now, and have met up with David Unkovich (who produces the GT Rider maps and runs the site). Great bunch of blokes.

The roll wouldn't work for me (I already have one for my longer European trips) as I want to be able to get off the bike and wander around the towns and sites.

Thanks,
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

I'd just go to an outdoor shop and browse hundreds of them on the wall.

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
Barnman

Post by Barnman »

I did a very similar trip through Laos last year. We took a Kriega R20 and a Kriega R30. I would recommend either bag, as it comes down to what volume you want/need. As Mike54 says, the R25 is an option that sits in between these.

Some considerations, the R30 is guaranteed waterproof though. Whereas the R20 is as waterproof as Kriega can make it for a bag with a zip, which means its pretty good. It won't keep the contents dry from a dunking, whereas the R30 will. Showers aren't really a problem. I don't have any experience with the R25, but I think it is similar to the the R20

The water reservoir is also a good addition so that you have some drinking water with you.

The harness used with the Kriega is completely different to a walkers rucksack and it works well on the bike. You pay for it, but then it does the job well.

I use my R20 as a day bag all the time, and for overnighters it would be fine. For a longer trip I think I would struggle for volume if it was my only bag.

Good luck
Far canal

Post by Far canal »

I just go to an outdoor shop and browse hundreds of them on the wall?

I've already done that - but there's nothing better than getting some feedback from people who've actually used the kit.
SiMears

Post by SiMears »

I have an R25. Used for the last 3 years for commuting duties. Very comfortable to wear regardless of having a light or heavy load, probably due to the excellent harness system. Contents have always remained dry. Great 10 year warranty. Down sides for me are its a bit pricey and that unless the bag is quite full, the compression straps dont take up the slack in the bag quite enough. Overall, excellent.
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
herman

Post by herman »

Another vote for the kriega stuff here. Very well made and have stood up to racing and three day trail trips in my hands which generally means lots of ground interfaces. Depending on which you buy they are expandable and have various bike strapping kits too. B)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”