Can you simmer on a coleman sportster?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
GB

Can you simmer on a coleman sportster?

Post by GB »

davsato wrote:
GB wrote:
davsato wrote:Why don't you get the petrol burner for the trangia?
Its not so much having to carry the fuel but the space it takes, using the multi fuel burner is the same size as my trangia fuel bottle.
You've got a bike full of petrol, syphon off a bit to cook with and pour it back when you're finished. Then 99% of the time its just an empty bottle.
I prefer my trangia with the propane burner, its so economical the smallest size gas can cooks for a long weekend and packs with the burner inside the trangia package. A lot cleaner than petrol too, no soot
That may may be an option.
Finally back on a GS :D
PaulinBont

Re: Can you simmer on a coleman sportster?

Post by PaulinBont »

Going back to the Coleman Sportster they're a bulkier stove but the plastic container I keep mine in when it's packed away serves a useful double purpose at night (thumbs)[/quote]

Another good idea for 'dual use'.

I find that the Ortleib folding bowl is also useful in the night when it's raining outside the tent (thumbs)
Big Yellow Tractor

Post by Big Yellow Tractor »

My 442 (same as sportster but with smaller tank) will simmer happily or run flat chat to get a quick brew on. The trick is to use a windshield as previously suggested but also, don't use thin camping pans. Pop into your local cooking shop and find a decent quality non stick, high sided pan (milk pan probably) that your stove will fit into, buz the handle off and use a trangia pot gripper.

I fill my stove from the bike using a few feet if 6mm clear hose. If you slide 2ft of stainless tig wire up the hose, you can straighten it out so it will sit in the bike's tank nice.

I have used all kinds of stoves but keep going back to the coleman. Unlike butane stoves, they will work superbly at very low temperatures and you never run out of fuel. I have a little vango folding stove that uses isopropane canisters that I use if I'm only away for a few nights. It's a bit smaller (not if you carry a spare canister though) and super convenient.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Folding ... 2ed2b48b54
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

AndyB wrote:
GB wrote:Redex, really?
It keeps it clean and like anything else running on unleaded fuel you'll get a residue left in the fuel lines and jet if you leave the stove standing for ages without cleaning it.

The other option is to strip and clean it every year but I'm a lazy git so Redex does it for me.

The other thing to watch for is the rubber seals on the pump plunger can turn themselves inside out meaning you can't pressurise it but all you do is take them out and lubricate them with a small amount of silicon grease then replace them properly. They're great little stoves that use hardly any fuel and if it's working properly the flame is stable enough to use inside your tent without risk of it flaring and turning your tent into a fireball :pinch:

If you've got a local supplier try using Aspen 4T as the fuel and only use petrol from your bike if you run out. It burns much cleaner meaning you don't get sooty deposits all over your pans or the pan support. It's dearer than unleaded but cheaper than Coleman fuel and usually available from places selling heavy duty petrol mowers and strimmers.
Thanks for reminding me of all this tedium & mess associated with my now never used Coleman.
You forgot to mention they don't like old stale petrol either. :whistle:
While on the hoof I now use a Jetboil & millitary "grade" ration packs saving the banquets of slow cooked gormet potroasts to basecamp tours! :P
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
piguglyshandydrinker

Post by piguglyshandydrinker »

Paul-S wrote:The key with these stoves is to keep them clean

I can simmer with mine without any problems

I use one of those foldable wind shields and just wrap this around the stove so the burner stays hot even when using low flame
I love my 522 stove, initially had trouble simmering but now, like Paul, use a foldable alloy guard to keep the wind out & heat in, helps keep the pan in place too. I've only ever usedregular unleaded.

Phil
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

PaulinBont wrote:Another good idea for 'dual use'.

I find that the Ortleib folding bowl is also useful in the night when it's raining outside the tent (thumbs)
Is that for a dump Paul?
Didn't know you were ex Commando.
Remind me not to have dinner with you @ next years Air Show :whistle:
Lightness is everything.

PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Nah, for a dump, use cling film, wrap it up tightly and leave it outside to freeze hard before burying in the morning.....number ones in an empty bottle makes an excellent ready-made hot water bottle to keep the sleeping bag warm and cosy :)

Shall I cook some more bread again at next year's Air Show? :whistle:
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

PaulinBont wrote:

Shall I cook some more bread again at next year's Air Show? :whistle:
That'd be nice Paul.
You're head backwoodsman & I'm always hungry. (thumbs)
Lightness is everything.

PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Never had my Swedish axe for Christmas :(

Back on topic: I bought some Naptha-based fuel from Cotswold Outdoor. Burn a tank full through the cooker to clean the burner and fuel generator, far cheaper than Cotswold's own White Fuel; result a nice clean blue flame once more
mr_diver

Post by mr_diver »

I bought one of those MSR type multi fuel stoves a couple of years ago.

And the problem with the multi fuel stoves is they run best with meths or paraffin, and will take unleaded when needed. Every time I went camping it took ages to get the thing cleaned up so it would light if I'd used unleaded in it the last time.

If I had unleaded left in the bottle I'd usually pour it back into the bike, I've even poured meths into the bike more than once. As the stoves don't like older fuel- even a month old and it misbehaved.

Hobo stoves are a good Idea, but how often does it rain? where are you going to find dry twigs in the UK when it rains? That's why I've never bothered. Trangia took my fancy but carrying and maybe having to find more fuel if you run out puts me off when I have 22ltrs of highly combustible fuel in the bike.

I got pi**ed off and bought one of the Coleman Sporster 533 stoves last year and It's been great. Simmering takes a little practice and don't go wondering off it is full of fuel with a flame on top too you know.
A bunch of us were Camping in Pewsey back in the summer and a few of us all had tried different stoves and all chose the Coleman and all happy with it. We joined forces and cooked up a slap up evening meal (some sort of South African dish)

Redex is normally in my bike when away on these sorts of trips anyway (carry extra in tool tube) and I add a little to the stove before refuelling from the bike. Does give reduced black smoke on fire up.
In the case with the stove I keep, matches, Zippo lighter, flints, tiny bottle of fairy liquid, and I suppose I could put a little bottle of Redex in there too.

Great little stoves. If you buy one and don't like it you can always sell it, but I'd buy one again if needed, but I think this one will last many a year yet.
The Rantings of A Crazed Lunatic.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”