Panniers: Useful or a pain in the arse?

The essential art of farkling.
rlkat

Re:Panniers: Useful or a pain in the arse?

Post by rlkat »

davsato wrote:hows this for a topbox then? it came complete with a 10stone alsatian Image
Brilliant. It means you can take your pet tiger where ever you go!!

rob
I've no idea how to add a signature.
lmg

Post by lmg »

I thought the regulations required the widest part of the bike should be the handlebars? I know a bike trailer (ie a trailer pulled by a bike) can be no wider than the handlebars.

I have a set of Varadero Honda OEM panniers which I have yet to use as I find the top box to be *easier* especially when fitting the XL1000 in to my garage with the other bikes.

I think for touring panniers are required in order to cart the required gear around, however if a topbox and a decent bag on the pillion seat can contain what you need then fill your boots.

I personally would like to take a few bits and bobs with me when im going for a week + session so would opt for the panniers.
Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

Joe Bar

Post by Joe Bar »

lmg wrote:I thought the regulations required the widest part of the bike should be the handlebars?

I personally would like to take a few bits and bobs with me when im going for a week + session so would opt for the panniers.
Not heard that and I've definitely had a couple of BMW's whose factory panniers were wider than the handlebars, with scars on the panniers to prove. :blush: :whistle:

Personally, for solo trips up to 9/10 days when B&B'ing I can manage easily with a tank bag and decent tail bag, and prefer that set up to panniers. With a pillion, panniers are much easier. Having a decent tail bag makes a difference as they are on and off quickly and easily and secure without needing a dozen bungees to get them secure and stable.
Lord Sut

Re: Panniers: Useful or a pain in the arse?

Post by Lord Sut »

The standard Triumph panniers on my Tiger are a couple of inches wider than the handlebars and they don't seem to hold much, or perhaps I ask too much of them.
jkclive1971

Post by jkclive1971 »

Alun i thought you would have a GSA buy now, the panniers on the gsa are no wider than the bars, i filter 2 up all the time no prob on mine
geordy paul

Post by geordy paul »

horses for courses, me i prefer ally boxes for security
whe in far flung places and only when im on a camping trip.
i put all the camping stuff in the boxes and my clothes and stuff in a
ortlieb bag on the back of the bike.
then if i treat myself to a hotel just take off the bag and leave the boxes
on the bike.
if on a hotel only trip i dont see the need fo panniers.
paul.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Billybusa

Post by Billybusa »

what about these for panniers then . lot cheaper that the usual bike `suitcases` . If your coming to the BMF this owner will probably be there.
Attachments
IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG (53.66 KiB) Viewed 1703 times
Ted99uk

Ventura Luggage system.

Post by Ted99uk »

http://www.ventura-bike.com/videos.aspx?video=overview

I have used nothing but Ventura luggage on all my bikes for almost 20 years now.
It sits behind you. 1 or 2 bags. If you are using 1 bag it goes on either the rack which is behind the pillion or if you haven't got a pillion it goes on the pillion seat close behind you so keeps the bulk and weight very central.
No extra width. Clips on and off its frame easily without straps.
When I tour solo with 2 bags, I put the smaller bag with the most weight, eg tools, shoes etc on the pillion seat and the bulky and lighter weight clothes bag on the rear rack.
It is so perfect for my long-trip Adventure-Touring I can highly recommend it.
The only downside is that it is not secure against a knife-wielding thief but I have so far in 20 years never had a problem, even though I have left it parked in towns too many times to count.
Only rode once with panniers and looked for something better.

Ted.
Ceri JC

Post by Ceri JC »

I like panniers for their security and getting the weight nearer the centre of the bike than a top box does. The luggage capacity, whilst overkill for weekends away, is unfortunately necessary for my business travel, so I'm stuck with them. Their impact on filtering (and your confidence to do so, after smashing a few cars with them) is huge. Even a few CM makes a difference and I'm thinking of changing to balanced 31L MMs in order to get the width of my back end down.

I wonder how much of the rather wide proportions of some marques (where they could keep the same volume, but make them taller/thinner) is down to our American brethren's lack of emphasis on a narrow back end, due to their silly anti-filtering laws in most states?

Return to “ACCESSORIES”