TKC 80

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
special one

Re: TKC 80

Post by special one »

picos mestizo wrote:On a 115 kg bike I run Maxxiss IT or EN @ 22-24psi road or trail.
Easier said than done adjusting pressures to suit conditions when you're flitting between road & trail every 10 minutes.
Definately keep pressures above 20psi unless you want pinch-punctures if travelling with any speed on.
+1, I can't be arsed fecking about changing pressures, I never adjusted mine at all once I found a happy medium.

Once riding I never once thought, hmmm, I need to lower my pressures, I just got on with it and had a go.

Hate to say it folks, we are all guilty of changing things on our bikes, suspension, tyres, settings galore when in reality most of the time it's ourselves that need adjusting.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I can't be arsed changing tyre pressures either.
You'll be cracking on enjoying yourself in the muddy stuff....then think oh shit! I've forgot to lower my tyre pressures, get all worried about it, then you'll fall off.
We're not racing in the Dakar, most of us are just numpties having a play. I'd say 20-25psi but don't get too anal about it.
Anyhow, Life's too short to be packing tubes, levers, tyre gauge, repair kit, a pump then spend an hour replacing/repairing a punctured tube. Just run mousses. They handle fine on the road and will outlast three sets of TCK's.
Andysr6

Post by Andysr6 »

Hi, always changing pressures on Ten as it makes such a big difference, off road 24ish on road 30-32. I also soften the rear shock. Andy
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

That's what I meant in my previous post. Lowering the pressure to 24 psi makes feck all difference to the tyre footprint. You need to be around 15-18 psi or less. And then you're into rim locks to prevent the tyre creep tearing out the value from the inner tube.
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

Thanks all, took a consensous view and used 25psi front and rear, this worked absolutly fine on the road up to the legal speed limit, on the trails was OK except on grass, will probably stick with this as I don't plan to change pressures when on a ride.
It's a very narrow well in the middle of the rims so had some difficulty getting the old tyres off and the new ones on, it it got done in the end.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Hi jacking the thread a bit. Thinking of putting TKC 80s ont eh XT660r to ride to Morocco and back via France and Spain.
Will they last?
450 exc-f
r1100gs
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Possibly Mark but the arse will certainly be hanging out of the rear.

The wear rate on long reasonably fast tarmac is quick, I think I got just over 3000 to dodgy handling using the bike for the commute.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Mark...
Id either go with a wort rear and fit new one in spain..members on here around.malaga so if they order one and you pay them?

Or fit a new mitas e09 rear either std or dakar harder side walls..thats what minky uses..last ages and dont handle any different to the tkc..
DaleC

Post by DaleC »

MarkR, I ran e-09 dakar front and rear for 6k miles in Morocco on the R that I fitted in Midelt after carrying them from London.

On leaving Morocco the front was tired and the rear sad. 1,200m later of the best bitumen winding roads up to Austria the front was seriously scalloped and the back shagged.

In Morocco, I was deliberately managing the tyre life by maintaining 28psi and speeds under 70mph on bitumen.

In Morocco and the Alps I also rode a little with a very aggressive German 1200GS rider running TKCs, who must have gotten similar mileage as me on his tyres. I had no chance to keep up with him on good Alpine roads but try as he might, he couldn't finish his tyres off!

Malaga would be a good pick up point if you don't want to carry them down.
Keyboard Adventurer! :D
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Zebedee wrote:Thanks all, took a consensous view and used 25psi front and rear, this worked absolutly fine on the road up to the legal speed limit, on the trails was OK except on grass, will probably stick with this as I don't plan to change pressures when on a ride.
It's a very narrow well in the middle of the rims so had some difficulty getting the old tyres off and the new ones on, it it got done in the end.
No rubber hard,soft, knobly or smooth is any good on WET grass. Just ride cautiously while on it. (thumbs)
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.

Return to “TECHNICAL”