test ride of tiger, explorer, cross tourer and v-strom today

The Things We Ride
paulh7021

Re: test ride of tiger, explorer, cross tourer and v-strom today

Post by paulh7021 »

Please guys keep all the feedback coming, iam thinking of a bigger bike for 2 up touring and I would like to read more about peoples experiences/views pros & cons on what I would call the big 4, Honda crosstourer, Yamaha S10 super tenere, Suzuki vstrom & Kawasaki Versys. I think the 4 could actually be split down to 1000cc & 1200cc engines sizes & weights there does seem to be quite a lot of differences.

Thanks again

Paul
Honda 600 Hornet, Yamaha fazer 1000, Yamaha tenere xtz660, Suzuki v strom 1000, F650 gs twin spark, Honda xl 650 transalp, Bmw f650 gs, Yamaha XT660Z.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I don't get the idea that a +1000cc bike needs to be in any way suitable for anything more than a gentle ride up something like the ride on the Stella Alpina and when you consider that a determined rider will get any bike up there that doesn't set the bar very high :)

As for buying a bike that needs mapping because the performance is strangled; I don't think I'd bother unless there simply wasn't anything available with the performance I want.
cozmo1589

Post by cozmo1589 »

efayce191 wrote:I think the Crossdresser owners are getting a little bit excited and offensive. People are entitled to their opinion without someone saying you are talking shit.
How would you get your massive 4 cylinder touring bike up that steep gravel hill the S10 just flew up. Dont worry sir my traction control will kick in and hook my rear wheel up a treat, DOH ! . Can someone help me pick my bike up please. Still LOL.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414345297.520347.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414345297.520347.jpg (36.34 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
Not only have you got your stupid bike nickname mixed up with totally the wrong bike your talking undisputed, comprehensive, complete and utter crap. Do you really think 8kgs between the Yamaha and the Honda makes that much of a massive difference ?? I'd have thought the 24hrs it's taken you to come up with a response would have resulted in a much more water tight argument. Still waiting for a definitive and concise answer as to where the Yamaha can go that the Honda can't!
2014 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer DCT Highlander
cozmo1589

Post by cozmo1589 »

Kev63 wrote:We recently test rode the V Strom and the Crosstourer back to back. We had the V Strom for just over an hour and the Crosstourer for nearly 2.

The Crosstourer won the day for us. For me it felt right, more comfortable than the V Strom for both of us. In fact the Mrs felt that her fillings were going to come loose on the back of the Suzuki and she started to fidget after about 45mins. I loved the V4 motor, very smooth turbine power and I felt the bike coped better with the uneven road surfaces in the Highlands. The boss on the back also raved about the pillion comfort. VERY IMPORTANT !! As most of my riding is 2 up.

Next 2 bikes to get a test ride on are a Guzzi Stelvio and an S10. The only problem with living up here in the North is getting test rides. The Crosstourer and V Strom were 2.5 hours away. We are in the North East at the end of November so are currently looking for dealers with Demos.
Just a quickie on the Stelvio. It's a supremely all day long comfortable bike, highly spec'd with bradded brake lines, bembro brakes, premium suspension and it's got a very characterful engine but I owned one NTX version of the Stelvio for 12 months and the thing literally shook itself to bits. The vibes off of the Engine caused numerous nuts and bolts to shake themselves loose. My gear selector completely fell apart three times despite lots of warranty work to rectify. In the end I got rid which was a shame as I really wanted to keep the bike given that it was so rare on the road and the ultra torquey engine brought a big smile to my face every time I took it out. In short the Yamaha S10 will out perform the Guzzi in almost every aspect. I think the Guzzi though has the most comfy saddle on any bike that I've ever owned
cozmo1589

Post by cozmo1589 »

AndyB wrote:I don't get the idea that a +1000cc bike needs to be in any way suitable for anything more than a gentle ride up something like the ride on the Stella Alpina and when you consider that a determined rider will get any bike up there that doesn't set the bar very high :)

As for buying a bike that needs mapping because the performance is strangled; I don't think I'd bother unless there simply wasn't anything available with the performance I want.
Exactly! For proper off roading a much smaller capacity engined and lighter bike will out perform any of the "Super Adventure Bikes" period! If it's very light off road and mainly on road go for one if the the big bikes otherwise go for something more suited to the type of riding experience that you're after.
efayce191

Post by efayce191 »

So i take it that all your bikes are completely standard then and you only use the manufacturers accessories. If you had your perfect bikes re-mapped your eyes would open to their real potential. Although you could carry on with your heads up your arses :)
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

efayce191 wrote:So i take it that all your bikes are completely standard then and you only use the manufacturers accessories. If you had your perfect bikes re-mapped your eyes would open to their real potential. Although you could carry on with your heads up your arses :)
If you mean me then my Multistrada is as it came from the shop with the exception of short levers because I've got a smashed up little finger that won't go around normal levers.

Otherwise they're as listed below:
K1100RS (soon to depart) - 100% standard.
KTM 250EXC - larger tank as an option when racing where the laps are longer than the tank range.
Norton Commando - 100% standard.
Laverda Montjuic - 100% standard.
Kawasaki 750H2 - 100% standard apart from expansion chambers fitted but standard pipes are unobtainable.
Yamaha Tenere - messed with big style but there isn't an option on the market that gives what I want. One day there may be and then the Yam will go.
Kawasaki ZX10R - full superstock spec with plus spare wheels but that's normal for race bikes.

I probably didn't make it clear enough that if there wasn't an option available I'd map the bike if it was underpowered but if there was another option I'd buy it instead.
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

cozmo1589 wrote: Just a quickie on the Stelvio. It's a supremely all day long comfortable bike, highly spec'd with bradded brake lines, bembro brakes, premium suspension and it's got a very characterful engine but I owned one NTX version of the Stelvio for 12 months and the thing literally shook itself to bits. The vibes off of the Engine caused numerous nuts and bolts to shake themselves loose. My gear selector completely fell apart three times despite lots of warranty work to rectify. In the end I got rid which was a shame as I really wanted to keep the bike given that it was so rare on the road and the ultra torquey engine brought a big smile to my face every time I took it out. In short the Yamaha S10 will out perform the Guzzi in almost every aspect. I think the Guzzi though has the most comfy saddle on any bike that I've ever owned
Sorry to hear about your experience with the Stelvio. I find the vibrations (what vibrations?) quite pleasing and certainly not intrusive. Spent over 3 hours in the saddle yesterday and the last thing on my mind was the vibes.

Mine puts a smile on my face every ride, too. Certainly worth a test ride if you can find one.

Jon
efayce191

Post by efayce191 »

Its not about being underpowered. All bikes are choked off by Euro emissions etc.
So all you are doing is making it behave as it should. By the way i like your 100% standard, apart from. Thats funny, you seem unable to recognize the truth or just twist things up. Any way im sure you are happy in your world, however unrealistic it is. I think we should agree to disagree here, otherwise it can start to be unfriendly and forums should be fun and informative.
cozmo1589

Post by cozmo1589 »

jonny955 wrote:
cozmo1589 wrote: Just a quickie on the Stelvio. It's a supremely all day long comfortable bike, highly spec'd with bradded brake lines, bembro brakes, premium suspension and it's got a very characterful engine but I owned one NTX version of the Stelvio for 12 months and the thing literally shook itself to bits. The vibes off of the Engine caused numerous nuts and bolts to shake themselves loose. My gear selector completely fell apart three times despite lots of warranty work to rectify. In the end I got rid which was a shame as I really wanted to keep the bike given that it was so rare on the road and the ultra torquey engine brought a big smile to my face every time I took it out. In short the Yamaha S10 will out perform the Guzzi in almost every aspect. I think the Guzzi though has the most comfy saddle on any bike that I've ever owned
Sorry to hear about your experience with the Stelvio. I find the vibrations (what vibrations?) quite pleasing and certainly not intrusive. Spent over 3 hours in the saddle yesterday and the last thing on my mind was the vibes.

Mine puts a smile on my face every ride, too. Certainly worth a test ride if you can find one.

Jon
To clarify I did not find engine vibrations to be an issue / intrusive to my actual riding experience but my particular bike just seemed to shake its self to bits. I had to continually check and re tighten many nuts and bolts on a weekly basis. Loved riding the bike but my confidence was knocked with parts continually coming loose and on some occasions falling off when riding. I loved the looks and the riding experience though, great engine !

Return to “BIKES”