wud you buy a demo bike

The Things We Ride
dogman

wud you buy a demo bike

Post by dogman »

Tiger 800xc demo bike with 3200kms in Triumph Cork (Ireland) for sale. Anybody buy exdemo's before. Especially a new model. Wud it be trouble if the first 1000kms ( more than likely put on with no respect).:whistle:
Zookman

Re: wud you buy a demo bike

Post by Zookman »

I bought my V Strom as an ex demo, 9 months old and 1500 miles. It looked like new. Its been faultless in the 15 months i had it.
With rev limiters nowadays, bikes cant be thrashed like they used to.
It may not have been run in exactly to Triumph specs... but many people believe in going well over the recommended revs in run in. In fact there's a growing school of thought that believes bikes are better run in that way.
I'd have no hesitation in buying a demo again because you usually get em at a bargain price.
carlobar999

Post by carlobar999 »

Same opinion, my last 3 bikes have all been ex-demo, with BMWs they tend to be spec'd up with ABS & other items.
herman

Post by herman »

A demo bike one would hope had been looked after by the dealer. Don't know if I would buy a press bike tho.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Bought an ex demo F800GS last year it was immaculate, had extras and about £700 off list.
The salesman told me that he did the first few hundred miles to run it in. Saved on having the first service done and as it was 3 months old I still had 21 months warranty.
cozmo1589

Post by cozmo1589 »

I used to be in the motor industry, i often witnessed people ragging the nuts out of new machines many were the actual sales people and the mechanics too taking this n that home for evenings/weekends.
An ex demo should be okay so long as you have a bullet proof warranty included in the sale.
2014 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer DCT Highlander
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

herman wrote:A demo bike one would hope had been looked after by the dealer. Don't know if I would buy a press bike tho.
I just bought a press pack Tiger 800xc 2500 miles on the clock. Admittedly I've only had it a few weeks but so far so good.

My 800xc.jpg
My 800xc.jpg (54.66 KiB) Viewed 2453 times

It's as smooth as silk on the road and a bloody nymphomaniac off road. Great Bike.

Yes I was dubious at first before buying it. The bottom line is you pay your money and take your chances.

Go on, you know you want too.......... :whistle:
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
africajim

Post by africajim »

I didn't, I bought a new one as I wanted to toast the nuts off it myself! That way I know who ragged it and what was actually done!
Joking aside, yes, I'd have no problem buying a demo. There's a growing consensus that higher revs at run in seals the bores better and hence burns less oil and gives better compression which in turn gives more power. I've often heard cars and bikes not run in at all being quicker than ones looked after so it's personal choice really.
I would probably have bought an ex demo if they'd been available but I ordered a new one as I wanted it ASAP!
Love the Tiger to bits, go for it, you won't regret it!
Honda, the power of dreams.
herman

Post by herman »

Mark1961 wrote:
herman wrote:A demo bike one would hope had been looked after by the dealer. Don't know if I would buy a press bike tho.
I just bought a press pack Tiger 800xc 2500 miles on the clock. Admittedly I've only had it a few weeks but so far so good.

My 800xc.jpg

It's as smooth as silk on the road and a bloody nymphomaniac off road. Great Bike.

Yes I was dubious at first before buying it. The bottom line is you pay your money and take your chances.

Go on, you know you want too.......... :whistle:
Ooops,my foot in mouth as usual. Just that I almost bought a Husky a couple of years ago,until I heard what it had been thru in the press's hands.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

herman wrote: Ooops,my foot in mouth as usual. Just that I almost bought a Husky a couple of years ago,until I heard what it had been thru in the press's hands.
No problem mate, we're all entitled to our own opinions. It's viewing those opinions that guide us to our final decisions. :)

But I do know what the press pack put them through. I've taken the chance (fingers crossed):ohmy:
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!

Return to “BIKES”