Insuring bike kept in council garage

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Kinioo

Insuring bike kept in council garage

Post by Kinioo »

Hi all,

I am currently renting a garage from council, which is away from my home (next road),
Just spoken to the council asking for full address for the garage, as they provide only the name of the street and number of the garage.

They say, there is no post code associated with the garage ????

Tried to insure my bike, which is kept in this garage...and they ask for the post code - apparently they cannot provide a policy without an exact post code of the place where the bike is kept overnight !!??

So, I am back to the bloke form council telling this - I need a ful post code ?!
They say, we can give you a post code for the nearest house to this garage but not for the garage itself !!!!!

WTF ??

How would you play with this ??

On my last policy I put 'the bike is garaged overnight at residence address' (I used the same garage away from my home) but didnt realized its an issue ??

Obviously, when my bike gets stolen from the council garage (and if I say its kept at the resdence address) it wont be covered ?!

HELP !!!
Mike54

Re: Insuring bike kept in council garage

Post by Mike54 »

so look up the postcode.
Stray Dog

Post by Stray Dog »

As above.
Postcodes don't always associate to one house.
Mine for instance covers 6 houses in my road.
Just make sure the Insurance knows it's not your own garage.
Otherwise they may try to wriggle out if ya make a claim.

Dog
optimisery

Post by optimisery »

Hi Kinioo,

I had the same issue - my garage is about 10 mins away. But I eventually got a post code from them after asking several people.

If there is a paved/tarmaced road to it and there are a few properties then there really should be one. Try someone else at the council or maybe ask someone that also has a garage in the same place?

You'll find that they will also want to know exactly how far away it is from your home - overestimate it, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck
Are we there yet?
Kinioo

Post by Kinioo »

Thanks guys.

OK, assume I found a post code for my garage (nearest house).

I gave it to the insurance people - my insuarance went up - fine, I am happy (sort of) they are happy - I am insured.

Now, what happens if I have an accident on the road ?? Insuarnce company will look for every exuse to discard my policy etc. - first on will be - 'the information you provided is not correct. The post code you given us is not for the garage etc...we cannot accept it' !!??

What I mean - I dont care (I do but its not end of the world) if my bike gets nicked form the garage etc. but what happens If I am involved in the accident on the road ?!!

K.
optimisery

Post by optimisery »

Kinioo wrote:if my bike gets nicked form the garage etc. but what happens If I am involved in the accident on the road ?!!

K.
Assuming nobody is hurt - rip of the number plate and ride off fast :silly:

To be serious..

I would keep pursuing the council or other renters for a definite answer and get it changed if needed.

I'm sure others will be able to give you a better response on consequences of incorrect info.
Are we there yet?
Stray Dog

Post by Stray Dog »

I think you're over thinking this..lol
The garage address is where it's kept.
This has nothing to do with an accident elsewhere.

The garage cannot accept letters, so can't really have it's own postcode
rwa.martin

Post by rwa.martin »

Write a letter to your insurance company. State clearly the facts:

a) the bike is garaged away from your property
b) the council cannot give you a postcode
c) you have stated the postcode to the nearest location
d) the actual distance away from your house (be accurate as best you can).

Enclose a map showing the location of the garage

State that you have disclosed all the information to the best of your ability and that should they have any need for more information to contact you in writing.

Send the letter recorded delivery, or better still signed for. Keep a copy.

You've now done everything you can to inform them of the facts. They will not be able to get out of paying a claim.

If it's in writing they can't argue that you didn't tell them. I wouldn't rely on their ability to find the recording of your telephone conversation with them if there ever was a dispute.

Rich.
Kinioo

Post by Kinioo »

Its not over thinking...just try to be honest, but as you can see sometimes you cannot or its not worth it!!

Awaiting more info from council now re: the address for the garage.
Once I have something in writing from them, saying this is the nearest post code associated with this garage, I will base my insurance quote on this.

Then I will do all the hard copy papaerwork as advised by rwa.martin.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers guys
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

I've gotta say that a block of garages not attached to & not associated with an occupied address could be classed as high risk for a motorcycle :whistle:

Surely if you have an accident the storage address would be insignificant to this event.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.

Return to “THE PUB”